Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM

115 posts, read 323,583 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I will be moving to the Oklahoma City area for a year long residency at OU Health Sciences Center. I am moving with family including 2 young children. We are homeschooling, so schools are not a huge issue.

I am looking for advice on places to live - here are some important criteria:
- Safety!
- No more than 20 minute, maybe 30 minute commute to work
- Nice 3 bedroom home, newer build or good remodel in nice neighborhood (we'd be interested in really nice townhome areas and large apartments that would be welcoming for children, but we'd really prefer a neighborhood.
- Would really like to keep rent between $1100 and $1300 a month
- Relative proximity (not more than 20 min or so) to parks and playgrounds, good library with children's programming, recreation center with activities for kids. It would be great to live in an area within walking distance of a park or playground though!

Folks have told me that there are certain areas of Quail Springs area, Edmond that would be nice. I was told that some places in Edmond could be more affordable if I can deal without certain school districts, so that might help. I have heard mixed things about Yukon/Mustang and Moore. Folks said the traffic from Norman to HSC would be too bad.

Thanks for any help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
Your friend is correct. Edmond, parts of NW OKC (Quail Springs) would be good places for kids. It's a bit more community oriented. Steer clear of south Okc. Moore isn't that bad it's just really bleh. Norman is a bit of a commute but is also nice. For safety, I would say Edmond. Depending on what time you leave, it can take 20-30 min to OU Health Science center from Norman. Generally it's just nicer in Edmond and NW OKC as its more community oriented, better for kids, decent to good schools, and better grocey stores, however I wouldn't totally discount Norman.

Welcome to OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma