Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times

Advertisements

Now they're talking about online voting. How convenient, and in too many ways. You could vote for your favorite candidate and by the time it got to the polls it could easily had been changed to your worst.
Or is there acually ways of securing this?
I seriously doubt it.
What do you have to say about, good, bad or ugly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I don't like it. Too many ways to hack into the system and/or manipulate your vote. I think the voting process is already corrupt as it is.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I don't like it. Too many ways to hack into the system and/or manipulate your vote. I think the voting process is already corrupt as it is.
yea, you're probably right. hackers could make mush of an online voting system. plus, i always enjoy the "going to the polls" and pushing those buttons. i always took my kids with me when they were young, and gave them the "voting is a responsibility" talk while we waited. in fact for the past 10 or so years, our township had a "kids vote" area at each polling place. the kids got to vote and the votes were counted at the local dunkin donuts and all the kids who voted got a free ice cream cone. it was fun

Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
That's a good idea about the kid's vote.

I think the online voting would be too easy to corrupt. Only good thing about it would be when bad weather strikes on voting days. Other than that, I think it should take some effort to vote.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,975 times
Do you do online banking now? Do you do online purchases now? Online voting can have the same level of security encryption. It's time this process moved into the 21st century, it's long overdue!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
Do you do online banking now? Do you do online purchases now? Online voting can have the same level of security encryption. It's time this process moved into the 21st century, it's long overdue!
You've got a point about online banking and such. However, the voting process is a singular instance across the country that selects the leaders of our state and country. Many politicians, their handlers, and lobbyists are already corrupt as it is and I want to see a definitive paper trail rather than some software that can be manipulated to affect all votes in a large region. Yes, paper votes can be manipulated as well (does anyone have a hanging chad), but there are checks and balances in place that can be watched by people without a software engineering degree.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
not only should they not be online, they should not be electronic anything. There should be a paper ballet, marked by an indelible ink, by a human being, counted by hand, a verification hand count, with monitors from every party watching. If it takes a week to get the results, fine. We don't have to know by Tuesday evening at 7:30 who won the election. they won't be installed in office till January anyway.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,410 times
I don't like the idea of online voting. Yes, it would be extremely convenient, but far too easy to get unreliable results. I wish we just had paper ballots because, even though it would take a considerable amount of time to count them, I'd be far more likely to trust the results.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
We have the paper ballots where I vote. They are counted by the machine but they can be counted by hand.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
I don't much care how the voting is done, as long as it includes a paper trail and the ability to be re-counted. I guess that would kind of eliminate a lot of methods... Too bad there isn't some way to tie voting to social security numbers, I'd bet that would cut down on the graveyard votes. And what was the name of that one little town in OH or IN or somewhere like that, a town of a few thousand people total, who got credited with giving Dubya votes of at least triple the town's population? I wonder just who counted all those votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma