Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,622,556 times

Advertisements

Catching up on my posting:

Okmulgee is a nice town. We just drove through on highway 75.

Creek Nation Center

Center of the highway 75 business district

Looking toward downtown

Saturday afternoon at the car wash

I wanted to look at that old hot rod, but noooooo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
My grandparents used to live in Okmulgee, but died several years ago. I haven't been there in 15 years. Thanks for the pictures to remind me!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:31 PM

708 posts, read 688,682 times
looks like a nice town

Old 04-19-2008, 12:20 AM

471 posts, read 826,189 times
Wow! You mean there are trees in Oklahoma?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Thanks for the pics. I noticed a sirloin stockade restaurant. I hadn't seen one of those in years.

I always felt sorry for that franchise because Roger Dale Stafford pretty much ruined that franchise in Oklahoma with those murders in OKC.

Glad to see they are still around.

Okmulgee is one of very few towns in Oklahoma that I have not at least driven through.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:35 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,622,556 times
If you ever drive through you should stop and eat there. We always do. I like their salad bar.

Roger Dale Stafford made me more wary of stopping to help people with car trouble.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,308 times
I grew up in Savannah, GA. My Great Grandfather was Creek and they changed his name and race on my Grandma's birth certificate because of people's attitudes, in North Western, GA in 1918. I have always been a spiritual person and a Christian since I was 6 yrs old.

I shall always remember the first time I visited the Ocmulgee Indian Mounds near Macon, GA. I felt like I was home, comfortable and at peace. I don't know if this meshes with Christianity, but I felt connected with the land. Every time I went thereafter, I felt the same way.

Years later, I married my wife, who is from Chickasha, OK (her Father is half Kiowa). I went with her to her family reunion in Tishamingo, visiting Mount Scott, the wildlife preserve and other places in Oklahoma. Standing on Mt. Scott, I felt the same connection with the land as I had in Macon, GA. I felt at home, there. It was as though there was a magnet in that ground, pulling my feet into the soil, like the roots of a tree. If I had had the money, I would have gone back to Savannah for my stuff and moved to OK.

I never understood what connection my heart could have to these places, until we attended Powwow at Cherokee, NC. We watched the "Unto These Hills" drama. After this I did some research and found my ancestral connection to both Ocmulgee in Macon, GA and Oklahoma. Like I say, I am not sure how Christian it is, but I can't ignore the strong feelings I felt.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Thanks for the pics. I noticed a sirloin stockade restaurant. I hadn't seen one of those in years.

I always felt sorry for that franchise because Roger Dale Stafford pretty much ruined that franchise in Oklahoma with those murders in OKC.

Glad to see they are still around.

Okmulgee is one of very few towns in Oklahoma that I have not at least driven through.
Wow, you been missing a lot. We have a Sirloin Stockade in Stillwater that serves buffet style. On Saturday and Sunday it adds breakfast hours. A great place to go if you want to hog.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:42 PM

14 posts, read 29,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Thunder View Post
I grew up in Savannah, GA. My Great Grandfather was Creek and they changed his name and race on my Grandma's birth certificate because of people's attitudes, in North Western, GA in 1918. I have always been a spiritual person and a Christian since I was 6 yrs old.

I shall always remember the first time I visited the Ocmulgee Indian Mounds near Macon, GA. I felt like I was home, comfortable and at peace. I don't know if this meshes with Christianity, but I felt connected with the land. Every time I went thereafter, I felt the same way.

Years later, I married my wife, who is from Chickasha, OK (her Father is half Kiowa). I went with her to her family reunion in Tishamingo, visiting Mount Scott, the wildlife preserve and other places in Oklahoma. Standing on Mt. Scott, I felt the same connection with the land as I had in Macon, GA. I felt at home, there. It was as though there was a magnet in that ground, pulling my feet into the soil, like the roots of a tree. If I had had the money, I would have gone back to Savannah for my stuff and moved to OK.

I never understood what connection my heart could have to these places, until we attended Powwow at Cherokee, NC. We watched the "Unto These Hills" drama. After this I did some research and found my ancestral connection to both Ocmulgee in Macon, GA and Oklahoma. Like I say, I am not sure how Christian it is, but I can't ignore the strong feelings I felt.
"We know we belong to the land..."

Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Okmulgee doesn't seem to have changed all that much since I lived there in 1958, except that the road to Henryetta is four lane and that stinkin' oil refinery is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma