Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 07:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Well I guess that you can't have either Swimming Pools or Basements in Oklahoma.....
So you can resort to having an above ground pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.fairy View Post
We're looking for an area in Oklahoma that has relatively low crime, good roads, affordable homes and an overall "bohemian" / "hippie" feel. Things like access to healthy organic produce, artsy and kitschy shops, and culture are important to us. But we have a modest budget, so we would be looking for an older, quaint, (unrenovated) single-family home. Cottages/tudors/small craftsman/bungalows are our preferred styles. (There's only two of us so we don't need anything that big.) Our absolute *must* however would be that the home has a basement.
(That's non-negotiable.)

Any particular areas/neighborhoods anyone can recommend?

Thank you for reading.
So did you decide to go look in some other state for what you want?

Old 01-07-2020, 04:37 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
We're looking for an area in Oklahoma that has relatively low crime, good roads, affordable homes and an overall "bohemian" / "hippie" feel. Things like access to healthy organic produce, artsy and kitschy shops, and culture are important to us. But we have a modest budget, so we would be looking for an older, quaint, (unrenovated) single-family home. Cottages/tudors/small craftsman/bungalows are our preferred styles. (There's only two of us so we don't need anything that big.) Our absolute *must* however would be that the home has a basement.
(That's non-negotiable.)
I have a place near me that fits most of the requirements, except the red highlighted areas (and the basement). Down here in the southwest part of the state is Medicine Park, which definitely is artsy, "bohemian" and "hippie". It's also pricey for what one gets, but there are a number of older, fixer-uppers there which are affordable if that's what one is looking for, and are not McMansions nor are they Stately Wayne Manor. One of my former employees lived there, and he didn't like it because of its decidedly liberal feel, and burgeoning tourism. I like the place myself, but it IS getting a bit crowded on weekends.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:14 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
The Paseo in OKC. It's the most liberal, "hippie" part of the state. A lot of homes there are older and even have basements since in the early days, OK builders built them.

https://www.thepaseo.org/

Old 01-08-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Paseo in OKC. It's the most liberal, "hippie" part of the state. A lot of homes there are older and even have basements since in the early days, OK builders built them.

https://www.thepaseo.org/
Right. I already brought up the Paseo and have been there before.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:05 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Well I guess that you can't have either Swimming Pools or Basements in Oklahoma.....

I thought they were one and the same.

You'd be surprised how many old hippies there are living in rural areas and small towns. Every time I go to the weed shop I am surprised at how many people in this small town smoke pot. A lot of the clientele are in their 50s, 60s, and 70s. It's good to know that Oklahoma isn't as conservative as some folks think it is after all they were enough people who wanted medical marijuana for it to pass.

Good luck on finding your bohemian haven.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:45 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I thought they were one and the same.

You'd be surprised how many old hippies there are living in rural areas and small towns. Every time I go to the weed shop I am surprised at how many people in this small town smoke pot. A lot of the clientele are in their 50s, 60s, and 70s. It's good to know that Oklahoma isn't as conservative as some folks think it is after all they were enough people who wanted medical marijuana for it to pass.

Good luck on finding your bohemian haven.
Bohemian Heaven....

Old 05-10-2021, 09:22 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Quote:
(That's non-negotiable.)

Any particular areas/neighborhoods anyone can recommend?

Thank you for reading.
Some of the newer homes were built with tornado shelters in them. A few had them in the garage. That's the closest I saw to a basement. That was 'in town'. If you lived more rural area, you might find a cellar that could be used for storing produce or shelter from storms. I never saw an actual basement when I lived there.

Oklahoma didn't have any area I would have considered 'Bohemian'. The closest I ever felt it was maybe in the Cherry Street District of Tulsa. You'd have to look around. The older homes I saw were interesting and expensive. I didn't drive around a whole lot in the neighborhoods. Realtor dot com would give you a feel for that.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:33 AM

374 posts, read 256,752 times
Late to the party here but south central OKC along 104th tends to feel pretty hippy with a decent amount of 'natural' grocer type stores that all look pretty nice and modern and are pretty low on crime but are not nearly as cheap as much of the 'inner city' districts south of I-40. Basements are, as many have stated, an absolute non-starter pretty much anywhere except maybe in the panhandle (and who would want to live there, anyway?)

Old 05-10-2021, 04:12 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
Late to the party here but south central OKC along 104th tends to feel pretty hippy with a decent amount of 'natural' grocer type stores that all look pretty nice and modern and are pretty low on crime but are not nearly as cheap as much of the 'inner city' districts south of I-40. Basements are, as many have stated, an absolute non-starter pretty much anywhere except maybe in the panhandle (and who would want to live there, anyway?)
Not to be a snark but this might be the first time I've ever heard Moore, OK (104th) described as being "pretty hippy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma