Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 05:48 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

As a Cushing resident and property owner I am stoked. This should be a game changer for the area and for Oklahoma.

Cushing chosen for $5.5 billion refinery investment

CUSHING, Okla. — Southern Rock Energy Partners, LLC selected Cushing as the site for its next-generation crude oil refinery. The project is a $5.56 billion investment into the "pipeline capital of the world," also bringing in more than 423 full-time jobs.

The total economic impact for the first decade of operations of the facility to the Cushing area and the state of Oklahoma is estimated to be more than $18 billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 07:23 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Boy they'll be partying at the Steer Inn!!

Good for Cushing. I remember being a kid and they had those refineries going and Cushing was a going concern. It will be nice to see some industry return there.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:03 AM

Kind of a double edged sword. If you have property or businesses here its going to be great. Housing prices and rents will likely go way up. Supply and demand. And there is not enough available housing for 1200 workers for the next 3 years or the 400 plus that will be there after that. There is a labor shortage now so lots of people will have to come here from elsewhere. I would guess that in town there might be 50 rental units available right now. Maybe less. The apartment my mom used to live in has a long waiting list now. And there is only a few apartment buildings in town. They are building a holiday inn express but not open yet. But that is only 60 rooms or so.

However there are a lot of lower income people that are either working or getting SSI or SS. Rents are very affordable now. I know some of these people. They are barely getting by as it is now. But that might change regarding rental costs. In fact very likely it will. Those people will get pushed out of the area.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Kind of a double edged sword. If you have property or businesses here its going to be great. Housing prices and rents will likely go way up. Supply and demand. And there is not enough available housing for 1200 workers for the next 3 years or the 400 plus that will be there after that. There is a labor shortage now so lots of people will have to come here from elsewhere. I would guess that in town there might be 50 rental units available right now. Maybe less. The apartment my mom used to live in has a long waiting list now. And there is only a few apartment buildings in town. They are building a holiday inn express but not open yet. But that is only 60 rooms or so.

However there are a lot of lower income people that are either working or getting SSI or SS. Rents are very affordable now. I know some of these people. They are barely getting by as it is now. But that might change regarding rental costs. In fact very likely it will. Those people will get pushed out of the area.
I'm thinking Stillwater is going to get a huge boost out of this as far as placing potential workers for housing. As far as poor people, I see your point. But Cushing is a shell of what it once was. Back when the refineries were open Cushing was one of the best places to be in Oklahoma for solid blue collar employment and there was a pool of white collar jobs in support of the refineries.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'm thinking Stillwater is going to get a huge boost out of this as far as placing potential workers for housing. As far as poor people, I see your point. But Cushing is a shell of what it once was. Back when the refineries were open Cushing was one of the best places to be in Oklahoma for solid blue collar employment and there was a pool of white collar jobs in support of the refineries.
I have only been aware of Cushing for 6 years. I bought here because I got a great deal on a house. Then the pandemic hit and I moved full time. Back in the mid 2000's I bought up properties in mining towns in Arizona. Same problem Cushing has. Business dropped off and too many got hooked on meth. But when you can buy cheap and sell at prices still much lower than bigger cities you can make some money that way.

Stillwater will benefit I agree. As will towns nearby like Drumright and Agra. There are a lot of trailer parks that cater to workers with 5th wheels surrounding Cushing they are usually half full. They will fill up. There is a benefit from driving 5 minutes compared to 30. In the mining towns in AZ the mine had vans that would drive people up 60 miles from Tucson and Phoenix to work there daily. I could see that here from Stillwater or even Tulsa.

Still a lot of business here with the fracking and the tank farm. If you want to work there are jobs. But I have heard stories of all the refineries around here before.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I have only been aware of Cushing for 6 years. I bought here because I got a great deal on a house. Then the pandemic hit and I moved full time. Back in the mid 2000's I bought up properties in mining towns in Arizona. Same problem Cushing has. Business dropped off and too many got hooked on meth. But when you can buy cheap and sell at prices still much lower than bigger cities you can make some money that way.

Stillwater will benefit I agree. As will towns nearby like Drumright and Agra. There are a lot of trailer parks that cater to workers with 5th wheels surrounding Cushing they are usually half full. They will fill up. There is a benefit from driving 5 minutes compared to 30. In the mining towns in AZ the mine had vans that would drive people up 60 miles from Tucson and Phoenix to work there daily. I could see that here from Stillwater or even Tulsa.

Still a lot of business here with the fracking and the tank farm. If you want to work there are jobs. But I have heard stories of all the refineries around here before.
I was talking about Cushing. Drumright is a better example of a town that died. At one time they say Drumright had 25K people living there to support the oil field. Of course we are talking 1915-1920 but it is the Drumright Field that first brought Cushing it's refineries.

Glenpool, Drumright, Seminole and Healdton are probably the four most famous oilfield towns in the state from the old days. Drumright's legacy is that they attracted a bunch of Lebanese families in that period and we still have some great Steakhouses spread throughout the area from those original families. I always called it the "Tabouli Trail" from Tulsa to Stillwater. Probably five or six great Lebanese Steakhouses in through there.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I was talking about Cushing. Drumright is a better example of a town that died. At one time they say Drumright had 25K people living there to support the oil field. Of course we are talking 1915-1920 but it is the Drumright Field that first brought Cushing it's refineries.

Glenpool, Drumright, Seminole and Healdton are probably the four most famous oilfield towns in the state from the old days. Drumright's legacy is that they attracted a bunch of Lebanese families in that period and we still have some great Steakhouses spread throughout the area from those original families. I always called it the "Tabouli Trail" from Tulsa to Stillwater. Probably five or six great Lebanese Steakhouses in through there.
Naifeh's restaurant was just sold recently was the last Lebanese place around here. I did not know about the Tabouli trail. I wondered why there was a Lebanese restaurant in town. Ethnic food here is limited to Chinese buffets and Mexican food. A neighbor of mine was telling me he goes up to Yale to the Mexican restaurant. He says they have the best burgers around. I was thinking huh? Even Naifeh's had mostly American food.

There is a guy who is a millionaire who has started all sorts of new businesses in Cushing. He reopened the movie theater and an Italian restaurant next door to it. He bought Naifeh's and is reopening it with a different name but some of the same food. Not open yet. But downtown Cushing has gone from being dead in the evening to being packed with people all the time. Last 3 years it has changed for the better.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Naifeh's restaurant was just sold recently was the last Lebanese place around here. I did not know about the Tabouli trail. I wondered why there was a Lebanese restaurant in town. Ethnic food here is limited to Chinese buffets and Mexican food. A neighbor of mine was telling me he goes up to Yale to the Mexican restaurant. He says they have the best burgers around. I was thinking huh? Even Naifeh's had mostly American food.

There is a guy who is a millionaire who has started all sorts of new businesses in Cushing. He reopened the movie theater and an Italian restaurant next door to it. He bought Naifeh's and is reopening it with a different name but some of the same food. Not open yet. But downtown Cushing has gone from being dead in the evening to being packed with people all the time. Last 3 years it has changed for the better.
There was a string of Lebanese places for years. There were two in Drumright. Freddie Josephs and Josephs. There was one in Bristow, Sapulpa's closed down just recently, and there was one in Tulsa. I believe the Lebanese place in Stillwater is still going strong. Didn't know that Cushing's closed down. Glad that millionaire is bringing it back!!!

Jamil's has a place in Tulsa and OKC and there are several others in both towns.

Junior's was a big player in the infamous Penn Square bank collapse that ushered in the infamous 1982 oil bust for all the oil states.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:24 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Does Cushing have connections to products pipelines with enough capacity to handle the 250,000 bbls/day production from the proposed refinery? Or will there have to be a bunch of additional pipeline capacity built as well?

Old 05-29-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Does Cushing have connections to products pipelines with enough capacity to handle the 250,000 bbls/day production from the proposed refinery? Or will there have to be a bunch of additional pipeline capacity built as well?
Capacity is 3.7 million bbls per day. Storage is 94 million bbls. Largest in the world.

Oklahoma Swing - The Crude Hub at Cushing: What Was, What Is and What Will Be

The crude oil storage and distribution hub in the small town of Cushing, OK, is a marvel. With more than 90 MMbbl of tankage, 3.7 MMb/d of incoming pipeline capacity and 3.1 MMb/d of outbound pipes, Cushing’s nickname — “Pipeline Crossroads of the World” — is spot-on, not hyperbole. However, like a lot of other U.S. energy infrastructure in the Shale Era, Cushing’s role has been in flux. Permian oil production has been surging, the ban on U.S. oil exports is a fading memory, and the Gulf Coast — not Cushing — is where most U.S. crude production wants to go, for its concentration of refineries and export docks. That is not to say that Cushing is no longer important. Far from it. Today, we begin a blog series on how Cushing’s role has been morphing and why the Sooner State trading hub still provides critical support to producers, midstream companies and refineries alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma