Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

Advertisements

I'm sure many of you have seen this. I get a kick out of it....enjoy

Things I have learned living in Oklahoma

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Oklahoma .
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Oklahoma plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.
5. Onced and twiced are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy
7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic.
8. People actually grow and eat okra.
9. Fixinto is one word
10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.
11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!
12. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'
13. 'Jeet?' is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'
14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you' re done or it's too dark to see.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM OKLAHOMA IF:
1. You measure distance in minutes.
2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' during the same day.
3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store'.
4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.
7. You carry jumper cables in your pickup...for your OWN pickup.
8. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.We make our own B-B- Que Sauce !!!
9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.
10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.
12. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.
13. You know whether another okie is from, north or south as soon as they open their mouth.
14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' Wal-martin' or goin to "Wally-world"..
15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good pinto-bean weather. Best meal in the world is Beans, Fried Potatoes and Hot Cornbread and Butter !!! AMEN TO THAT!!
16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop. it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?' Answer: "Dr. Pepper."
17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
18. We don't need no stinking driver's ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.
19. You understand these jokes and forward them to your friends from Oklahoma (and those who just wish they were).

OKIE = Oklahoma, Key to Intelligence and Enterprise

Not EVERYONE can be an okie, it's an art form and a gift from God

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 06-25-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: sizing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Sooner, it's VERY hard to read. I attempted to go in and correct it but it's a lot of work. Can you repost in another thread? I'll delete this one when you acknowledge.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 PM

Synopsis,

I just edited. Sorry, I had copied it from an email and it didn't format properly. Should look okay now.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM

330 posts, read 970,079 times
Nice

Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Hmmm. It all sounds normal to me.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Everything is pretty accurate except for #15... it confused me.

Quote:
15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good pinto-bean weather. Best meal in the world is Beans, Fried Potatoes and Hot Cornbread and Butter !!!
What are these PO-TAY-TOES you speak of?

In my house we have Fried Taters, Smashed Taters and sometimes Boiled Taters... always topped with Gravy.

And I DO make my own BBQ sauce! Ketchup, Brown sugar, Molasses, a little garlic powder, a little onion powder, and a dash of liquid smoke. Shake it up and pour it on!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Everything is pretty accurate except for #15... it confused me.

What are these PO-TAY-TOES you speak of?

In my house we have Fried Taters, Smashed Taters and sometimes Boiled Taters... always topped with Gravy.

And I DO make my own BBQ sauce! Ketchup, Brown sugar, Molasses, a little garlic powder, a little onion powder, and a dash of liquid smoke. Shake it up and pour it on!
LOL, yeh the venacular in my family is "puh-tay-tuhs" My dad is the only one my family that actually says "taters." That's hilarious....when we go to chick-fila he asks for "lattice taters." That's Okie for "Waffle fries."

Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 AM

75 posts, read 261,909 times
Funny! But no mention of tornadoes (or just wind in general)?

That brings back memories of Oklahoma from about 20 years ago, when I had a chance to work in Tulsa and OK City for a little while.

I really liked Tulsa, and thought I wouldn't mind going back to live there for a while. Born and raised in California, I'll never forget the ice storm once, and everything shut down for a day or two.

People were very friendly and I loved running along the river that went through town. Is it still like that now?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde View Post
Funny! But no mention of tornadoes (or just wind in general)?

That brings back memories of Oklahoma from about 20 years ago, when I had a chance to work in Tulsa and OK City for a little while.

I really liked Tulsa, and thought I wouldn't mind going back to live there for a while. Born and raised in California, I'll never forget the ice storm once, and everything shut down for a day or two.

People were very friendly and I loved running along the river that went through town. Is it still like that now?
Tulsa is an awesome town. So much history and culturally rich. I live in Fort Worth now and there are a lot of similarities.

I've lived in on the East Coast, West Coast, and the Deep South....and the nicest folks I've ever been around are Okies. I'm not biased or anything

Old 06-27-2008, 07:46 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
I've lived in on the East Coast, West Coast, and the Deep South....and the nicest folks I've ever been around are Okies. I'm not biased or anything
I can beat that. I've been to the State Personnel office several times to take various tests. The State employees in OK are actually nice!! And, they're helpful. Never ran across that in any state I've lived in.
Keep in mind I'm a former NJ state employee -- and while I was always nice, many of my co-workers were not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma