Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

The pne thing I always loved about Okies is that they don't spend much time minding somebody elses business. The only ones who did not do that were the religiously indignant.

The autopsy is very precise science. It you lay a black man, a gay man, a red man and a wbite man side by side on autopsy tables and carely remove all traces if skin and hair ..... we'll find four men who could be brothers except for the accident of birth. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 03:37 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,411 times
Hmm... I moved from Phoenix to Norman for school a few years ago and I was pretty uncomfortable in Oklahoma and felt extremely out of place. Yeah... Phoenix as in Arizona, as in hopeful contender to be America's next Bible Belt state. I feel I can lead a more open and comfortable life here than I ever could there. I don't really endorse or support most of Arizona's policies, especially over the past year or so and I think this state is about to get worse. Most of my family lives in Oklahoma and between the two, I would rather stay in Phoenix... though in reality I'm actively looking to leave this city.

In any case, people came off to me to be as well above average in intolerance and homophobia when I was in Oklahoma. From a purely economic viewpoint, Oklahoma has a pretty small GLBT population (http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/publications/samesexcouplesandglbpopacs.pdf (broken link) ...see pages 12 and 15 especially) and I don't see how it would make sense to have a wide variety of businesses or services to a relatively small number of people.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM

20 posts, read 83,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris424 View Post
Additional Clubs to check out are The Finish Line, Partners, The Boom, The Copa, The Park, Tramps, Pheonix Rising, The Habanna, The Wreck Room, Alibis. Most are located just east of 39th and Penn in oklahoma city
Thank you! Reading this thread, you would think the only place in OKC for gay people to gather is The Wreck Room! I haven't been there in fifteen years! Oklahoma is definitely not what I would consider gay-friendly as a whole, but OKC has a surprisingly large number of gay venues for a city as conservative as it is. There are numerous gay clubs as the above poster listed, don't forget The Hi-Lo too. Someone said there is a drag show or two monthly? You can find a drag show almost any given night of the week in OKC if you want to. There is a gay restaurant, Gushers, and several restaurants where you shouldn't be surprised to see many gay people. There are gay welcoming churches and numerous GLBT organizations that fight for the community's equality. Not to mention The Habana is a big draw for gay travellers from around the country and hosts several large gay events. I've met many people visiting from Dallas for the weekend, and all sorts of other places too. So while Oklahoma isn't known as a bastion of gay tolerance, if you find yourself gay in OKC, you have many options to be around others of your orientation.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:11 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Am told the Hi-Lo is changing clientele since Gil passed. We used to go there for the sunday brunch and a few fund raisers.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Texas gays are more masculine than New England straights................
You couldn't be more wrong. Have you ever been to NE? Because of the media, my perception was just like yours until I actually moved to TX. Gay men down here seem to be out to prove something. Waaaaay more feminine than anything I've seen in Boston. I think it's a result of growing up in such a homophobic aera. I work in an office and they gay guys have pictures of men, a boah, one of even has a tiara on his computer. Some of the married guys I work with (who happen to be major homophobes) are more feminine than most of the gay men I worked with in Boston (makes you wonder, doesn't it?). Maybe that's why there's less homophobia up there, because since they are accepted more, they have less to prove? I don't know, just a theory. Anyway, since the OP was taking about OK, I can say the gay scene would be about the same as in San Antonio. Small, but close knit.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I work in an office and they gay guys have pictures of men, a boah, one of even has a tiara on his computer. Some of the married guys I work with (who happen to be major homophobes) are more feminine than most of the gay men I worked with in Boston (makes you wonder, doesn't it?).
Helloooo, Possums! I just love a pic of a Mod in drag, but I digress, even more fun is a straight man in a boah. Tiara's are so yesteryear, although "fun pics" do get the str8's confused.

All in good fun, dear.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma