Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times

Advertisements

OK folks, as I mentioned on another thread my family is taking what is left of this week as a vacation.

We would like to do some day trips, one of which MUST include horseback riding. We would also like fishing, kayaking, and other "nature" type things. Anna is a nature girl, so doing the usual museums, amusement park type things won't work for her. Any ideas? BTW, we've already done the zoo.

(waiting with bated breath)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
I have a feeling she WILL enjoy the Fort Smith experience I posted about before. It is fascinating ......

Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I have a feeling she WILL enjoy the Fort Smith experience I posted about before. It is fascinating ......
Hey, Schousse, do you remember what thread you posted that info on? I did a search, but it didn't come up. I know it wasn't too long ago.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Take a trip to the Ouachita Mtns..

Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 AM

There's horseback riding and a ton of other stuff to do here.

Cedar Creek Cabins for Rent Near Beavers Bend State Park, Oklahoma

Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Hey, Schousse, do you remember what thread you posted that info on? I did a search, but it didn't come up. I know it wasn't too long ago.
Nope ... not a clue

There are two fascinating places in Ft. Smith ..... which is right on the OK/AR border by Sallisaw.

One is Miss Laura's, one of the most successful brothels OK/AR ever had. Belle Starr, one of GP's ancestors, worked there as a young woman. The house has been restored and furnished just like it was in those days. It is kinda funny to se a bunch of proper old ladies run the place now (as a museum).

The other attraction there is a museum maintained by the Park Service. It has an information center where they show films on the history of several indian tribes and how they ended up in this area from Florida. It also has the courthouse where Judge Parker aka the Hanging Judge ruled the roost. You can tour the jail etc.

Here is an interesting website about him

Judge Isaac Parker - The Hanging Judge of Indian Territory

Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Let me clear this up.......

Belle was married (second or third) to Sam Starr, son of Tom Starr, and uncle of Henry Starr. Henry was the bank robber who was the first robber to rob two banks at the same time (across the street from each other, I think in Seminole). Belle's daughter (supposedly from Cole Younger) ran the brothel in Ft Smith. Miss Laura's is the only surviving brothel, and they are not hiring. In fact, I checked, they don't even have any soiled doves in the place anymore. All they do is have pictures, and most of them are in bloomers or dresses.

I was related to Tom Starr through Nancy Ward, Beloved Woman of the Cherokee.............

Old 08-13-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Let me clear this up.......

Belle was married (second or third) to Sam Starr, son of Tom Starr, and uncle of Henry Starr. Henry was the bank robber who was the first robber to rob two banks at the same time (across the street from each other, I think in Seminole). Belle's daughter (supposedly from Cole Younger) ran the brothel in Ft Smith. Miss Laura's is the only surviving brothel, and they are not hiring. In fact, I checked, they don't even have any soiled doves in the place anymore. All they do is have pictures, and most of them are in bloomers or dresses.

I was related to Tom Starr through Nancy Ward, Beloved Woman of the Cherokee.............

You're relatives put one of my relatives 6 ft. under.. My Grandfather (yes, my Grandfather - my dad was 57 when I was born) was a US Marshall in Indian Territory. He was shot by a member of the Belle Star gang. Interesting how small of a world it really can be.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:02 PM

Wow, that is so amazing. I love these little history stories, and to think you two are connected by it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma