Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,330 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum, but have become instantly addicted to it! I was born in Oklahoma, and grew up the majority of my childhood there. My family moved around quite a bit, from Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, to Alaska (i think my mom was part gypsy), but always ended up back in Oklahoma, and i always was proud to say i was from Oklahoma! I wonder if there are other people out there that still consider themselves "Okie's" even though they dont live there anymore.

I cant wait to move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee81 View Post
I am new to this forum, but have become instantly addicted to it! I was born in Oklahoma, and grew up the majority of my childhood there. My family moved around quite a bit, from Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, to Alaska (i think my mom was part gypsy), but always ended up back in Oklahoma, and i always was proud to say i was from Oklahoma! I wonder if there are other people out there that still consider themselves "Okie's" even though they dont live there anymore.

Our favorite non-resident "Okie" is Synopsis in Texas, who also happens to be a moderator. You'll be hearing from him soon, I'll bet. Anytime you're ready to come home, we'll be waitin' for ya.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:20 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,256 times
I too am in exile in Texas. I can't wait to get back to the rolling prairies, the vibrant city that is Oklahoma City (eat your heart out, Griffis) and the diversity that is Oklahoma. No pun intended against Texas, but Texas happened. What else is there?

I want to be a part of making Oklahoma City happen. Houston is a been there, done that city. It may excite the youth and other Americans that have a mental obsession with salt water and palm trees. Following the herd just isn't in my blood.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:50 PM

471 posts, read 825,734 times
Quote:
I wonder if there are other people out there that still consider themselves "Okie's" even though they dont live there anymore.
I do. Kansas City has its advantages, but it still isn't Oklahoma...

Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:

Once an Okie always an Okie....especially if you were born in the Sooner State.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,330 times
I moved to Alaska from Oklahoma for an adventure and job opportunities. I am glad I did it, I go on hunting and fishing trips every summer and fall that some people save a lifetime to do once. My wife and I just had our first child, so I am looking at jobs in Oklahoma. I want my son to be raised with the same morals and good "Okie" influences i had growing up in a small town in Oklahoma.

I was talking to a guy I work with about something I think is relevant to this subject. He has been in Alaska for 30 years, born in Missouri. He said after he moved away from there he didn't go back for 10 years, and hated everthing about it. Now that he is older and about to retire, he bought a place in Missouri and is moving back. He thinks people are like salmon. You grow up, leave home, then come back to your home to die (kinda sick analogy).

What do ya'll think?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,457 times
Absolutely, once an Okie, always an Okie. I am very proud of my state and speak highly of it to whomever will listen We have so much history and culture to be proud of.

I am currently working at moving back to my beloved Oklahoma.

Boomer Sooner!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
I moved to Alaska from Oklahoma for an adventure and job opportunities. I am glad I did it, I go on hunting and fishing trips every summer and fall that some people save a lifetime to do once. My wife and I just had our first child, so I am looking at jobs in Oklahoma. I want my son to be raised with the same morals and good "Okie" influences i had growing up in a small town in Oklahoma.

I was talking to a guy I work with about something I think is relevant to this subject. He has been in Alaska for 30 years, born in Missouri. He said after he moved away from there he didn't go back for 10 years, and hated everthing about it. Now that he is older and about to retire, he bought a place in Missouri and is moving back. He thinks people are like salmon. You grow up, leave home, then come back to your home to die (kinda sick analogy).
What do ya'll think?
That's kind of funny. I grew up in MO, too, and left for adventure, etc. I went to Alaska on the spur of the moment, with 50 cents in my pocket, for a job I thought would last through the summer. It was 31 years before I left for good, and it wasn't by choice. I'd gone back to MO for visits, and hated what it had become. I'd much rather have memories of my childhood untainted by reality. Now I'm in OK, which is the next best thing to AK, and from my point of view, that's saying a lot. As I've said elsewhere and before, Alaska has my soul, but Oklahoma has my heart.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:56 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Well, I grew up in California, but my mother always said that I looked like an Okie. Does that count? Of course, now I live in Oklahoma.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:03 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,173 times
Smile Always an forever

If you're like me you'll always use Oklahoma as the standard for comparing anyplace else to. "And so far they don't quite stack up" I like to think of myself as an ambassador from a better place (Oklahoma)

Last edited by BillyC64; 10-03-2008 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma