Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 AM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times

Advertisements

So, after demolishing the old Baker's, all that is left is a big empty lot with a lot of potential, and a sign that says "Mixed use development". This is promising to me and I hope to see something like yet another Midtown Crossing or Aksarben Village, but on a much smaller scale. Maybe just some Appartments with street level retail and a park, on the south side would be very cool.

Who else is interested in what's going to happen at this lot and what do you want to see happen with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 02:33 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
That would be a major improvement for the area.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,546,389 times
I agree bosco.

some Appartments with street level retail and a park would be nice to see

Old 12-29-2010, 12:20 PM

138 posts, read 264,849 times
I am not usually the type to get all goosey about knocking down unremarkable old buildings like this but damn. A huge part of my childhood involved that Bakers.
My mom was a waitress there when I was a toddler. Back when Bakers had a restaurant in it.
We always shopped there.
That and the Richman Gordman and the Burger King and the Dairy Queen (holy crap I just realized that a King and a Queen were right next to each other!) were very big parts of my awesomely rad late 70s childhood.

I almost cant bear to ask but...is MT Fuji gone too?

Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 51,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
So, after demolishing the old Baker's, all that is left is a big empty lot with a lot of potential, and a sign that says "Mixed use development". This is promising to me and I hope to see something like yet another Midtown Crossing or Aksarben Village, but on a much smaller scale. Maybe just some Appartments with street level retail and a park, on the south side would be very cool.

Who else is interested in what's going to happen at this lot and what do you want to see happen with it?
Is there enough room to do anything like that? It looks like it's less than a normal square block. I just hope it's something more than just another strip mall.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:03 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
With some decent planning something along those lines could be done there. Mixed use doesn't always have to cover city blocks. A single apartment building that has ground floor retail would fit the bill nicely. Maybe a water feature or sculpture garden in the park area? That corner could use a facelift and this city doesn't have enough public art.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
I am not usually the type to get all goosey about knocking down unremarkable old buildings like this but damn. A huge part of my childhood involved that Bakers.
My mom was a waitress there when I was a toddler. Back when Bakers had a restaurant in it.
We always shopped there.
That and the Richman Gordman and the Burger King and the Dairy Queen (holy crap I just realized that a King and a Queen were right next to each other!) were very big parts of my awesomely rad late 70s childhood.

I almost cant bear to ask but...is MT Fuji gone too?
That's funny. I just asked Brad about the restaurants in Baker's. We always went to the one on 52nd and Ames and they had a restaurant too. It was surprisingly good too. Lots of grocery stores apparently had restaurants in them back in the day. I know the Super Saver in Council Bluffs and HyVee at Mall of the Bluffs had restaurants in them when I still lived in Omaha.

Mt. Fuji Inn is apparently still there. The latest review was in September of this year.

MT Fuji Inn, Omaha - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 12-29-2010, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 51,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's funny. I just asked Brad about the restaurants in Baker's. We always went to the one on 52nd and Ames and they had a restaurant too. It was surprisingly good too. Lots of grocery stores apparently had restaurants in them back in the day. I know the Super Saver in Council Bluffs and HyVee at Mall of the Bluffs had restaurants in them when I still lived in Omaha.

Mt. Fuji Inn is apparently still there. The latest review was in September of this year.

Most all of the Baker's had Market Place Cafes in them (pre-Kroger). We used to eat at the one on Vinton quite a bit. When I worked at Baker's at Spring Valley, I can remember lines outside the restaurant, waiting to be seated, on a week night. The service was excellent and the food was great.

Most of the Hy-Vee's have restaurants in them. They're pretty much an extension of their delis.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s'wonderful View Post
Most all of the Baker's had Market Place Cafes in them (pre-Kroger). We used to eat at the one on Vinton quite a bit. When I worked at Baker's at Spring Valley, I can remember lines outside the restaurant, waiting to be seated, on a week night. The service was excellent and the food was great.

Most of the Hy-Vee's have restaurants in them. They're pretty much an extension of their delis.
That's pretty cool! Brad said he thought that all of the Baker's restaurants had been closed but he wasn't sure. The one on 52nd and Ames had some really good rice that I remember. I also remember my dad tricking me (at about 8 years old) into putting Tabasco sauce on the rice. Damn him

Ahhh, memories.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM

148 posts, read 386,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Wow I didn't know it was still open. It looks vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: