Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,547,956 times

Advertisements

a dollar store possibly?

They are building a small branch up of the bank up front, then demolishing the old building, then putting up a large box store in its place. At this time they have not announced who the retailer will be.

hopefully it will be a dollar general or something, there needs to be a discount store in benson

and yes benson can use it. if they have like 15 bars and 5 barber shops on maple street, what is wrong with a family dollar or dollar general in benson area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
a dollar store possibly?

They are building a small branch up of the bank up front, then demolishing the old building, then putting up a large box store in its place. At this time they have not announced who the retailer will be.

hopefully it will be a dollar general or something, there needs to be a discount store in benson

and yes benson can use it. if they have like 15 bars and 5 barber shops on maple street, what is wrong with a family dollar or dollar general in benson area
Is there a reasonably priced grocery store in the area?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Is there a reasonably priced grocery store in the area?
unless you count bakers at 72nd and ames, then no

Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
You have the Louis Foodway literally right around the corner to take care of just about anything you'd get at a crappy store like Dollar General. I think we could find a better, more unique use for that building.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You have the Louis Foodway literally right around the corner to take care of just about anything you'd get at a crappy store like Dollar General. I think we could find a better, more unique use for that building.
um, bosco, you ever been to louis market?

they are way over-priced.

dollar general and dollar tree and family dollar are good stores for those on a budget.

bosco:

if benson area can have a half dozen barber shops and several tattoo places and a dr. john's like place coming soon on maple street

and 15 or so bars, what is wrong with a dollar store in benson?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
um, bosco, you ever been to louis market?

they are way over-priced.

dollar general and dollar tree and family dollar are good stores for those on a budget.

bosco:

if benson area can have a half dozen barber shops and several tattoo places and a dr. john's like place coming soon on maple street

and 15 or so bars, what is wrong with a dollar store in benson?
Yeah I've been there, and I have an aunt in Benson who is a semi-frequent shopper there. I haven't heard too many complain about their prices and they've stayed open as a small independent market for a century or more, something you don't usually do if you're really overpriced, not to mention it's going to sell items that are generally of a MUCH higher quality than Dollar General.

As for a dollar store in Benson, I am not entirely opposed to the idea. I AM opposed to one setting up shop on the main drag. Benson is a rather unique part of Omaha and I don't want to see it invaded by a bunch of chains.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM

28 posts, read 58,053 times
I personally don't want to see a dollar store go there. There's a Dollar General off of 55th and Ames that is technically in Benson, and isn't the Family Dollar still there on 50th and Ames?

Louis might be slightly overpriced, but it's worth it if you're in the area. It's an easy store to navigate and get in and out of quickly. I wouldn't do my weekly shopping there, but it's fine for grabbing a handful of things. I don't really see the advantage to a dollar store and it's shoddy quality of the cheaper items at that particular location. The items of any quality aren't much cheaper than they'd be anywhere else.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 PM

arch, I disagree and besides what is wrong with a 2nd dollar store then in benson?

if we are allowed to have like 10 barber shops and 15 bars between 58th and 63rd street on maple,

what is wrong with a dollar store than in benson. there is a lack of business diveristy in benson.

in fact, benson is being nicknamed by many cause of all the bars opening and soon opening up on or real near maple street: alcoholic city.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
arch, I disagree and besides what is wrong with a 2nd dollar store then in benson?

if we are allowed to have like 10 barber shops and 15 bars between 58th and 63rd street on maple,

what is wrong with a dollar store than in benson. there is a lack of business diveristy in benson.

in fact, benson is being nicknamed by many cause of all the bars opening and soon opening up on or real near maple street: alcoholic city.
Did you read my post? Benson is one of the few areas of the city that hasn't been invaded by chain stores, and people want to keep it that way, especially the fairly active Benson community. If people are that worried about going to a discount store, they can go to the one that is already there.

Saying there is a lack of business diversity in Benson is absurd. Have you ever actually spent time in Benson? Go read this and then come back and try to tell me it's not diverse. My Blog: Beautiful Downtown Benson ...

And I fail to see what the problem is with barber shops and bars. Benson has a pretty significant nightlife and with that comes bars and bands and all that good stuff. Oh, and no one is calling Benson "alcoholic city" either. Well, except maybe for the crazy puritanical conservatives types that were throwing a fit about the 2AM last call and Walgreens getting to sell beer, but no one cares what they think anyway.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Did you read my post? Benson is one of the few areas of the city that hasn't been invaded by chain stores, and people want to keep it that way, especially the fairly active Benson community.

If people are that worried about going to a discount store, they can go to the one that is already there.

Saying there is a lack of business diversity in Benson is absurd. Have you ever actually spent time in Benson?

Go read this and then come back and try to tell me it's not diverse.

My Blog: Beautiful Downtown Benson ...

And I fail to see what the problem is with barber shops and bars. Benson has a pretty significant nightlife and with that comes bars and bands and all that good stuff.

Oh, and no one is calling Benson "alcoholic city" either. Well, except maybe for the crazy puritanical conservatives types that were throwing a fit about the 2AM last call and Walgreens getting to sell beer, but no one cares what they think anyway.

actually I know many liberals in the benson area who also have problems with benson becoming "alcoholic city"

the fact is, we have enough and we need more diverse shops in benson area.

and to call subway (as u did on ur blog) a blind spot or eyesore is insluting,

even dundee area on underwood has a subway. I like subway. at least they got good sandwichs at a good price.

to assume those against are the sex shop in the old true value hardware are all right wing nutjobs is wrong. plenty of leftists are against that place also.

I know some wish it was illegal for conservatives to live in benson area, but benson is politcally mixed or neutral

and that is good to have diverse folks with diverse opinions in benson area

Benson does have a pretty significant nightlife and with that comes bars and bands and all that good stuff

and I like that, but I want to see something other than bars and barber shops in benson.

my complaint is we dont need any more bars. we got enough.

my other complaint about benson is that stupid curb at 66th and maple but that is another story

(who's bright idea was that with those curbs being that far out anyway, someone's car is going to get damaged cause of that corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: