Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM

92 posts, read 187,842 times

Advertisements

From County Board to high-paid temp - Omaha.com

Absolutely despicable. Doyle should be brought under investigation by the attorney generals office (or whoever investigates these type of things). At the very least, do not vote this guy or anyone else involved back into office in the next election. And even if this guy is the most experienced guy in the world at what he is doing, the pay most certainly does not fit the job description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 AM

306 posts, read 714,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley55 View Post

Absolutely despicable. Doyle should be brought under investigation by the attorney generals office (or whoever investigates these type of things). At the very least, do not vote this guy or anyone else involved back into office in the next election. And even if this guy is the most experienced guy in the world at what he is doing, the pay most certainly does not fit the job description.
The Nebraska State Auditor is the agency who investigates fraud and waste claims.

I skipped over parts of the article, but I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the situation. So, he was caught in a pinch, called a buddy in the County and got a job. Big deal. People use connections to get positions in both private and public industry all the time. Mr. Green appears to be very qualified and it doesn't seem like he is just sitting behind a desk collecting a paycheck.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Yes, creating a job that hasn't existed for 14 years (that clearly wasn't necessary) and handing it to your friend without advertising it to the out of work tax payers who fund the position for almost DOUBLE the amount of money that anyone else in the county makes is no big deal at all...

Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,546,389 times
Quote:

corruption and incomptence in Douglas County is nothing new.

the media in Omaha is jsut as bad as it's political system.

the media not covering this story much at all is example of the media incomptence

look at the incomptent Omaha Public School board (in which 11 of it's 12 members are well hated by many)

and lets not get started on some city council members/the mayor being not well liked

Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM

306 posts, read 714,562 times
If you suspect there's a legitimate instance of government waste or abuse going on, give Mike Foley's office a call. This just sounds like typical OWH BS reporting to me.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,781 times
I am sad that an 81 year old feels the need to carry a $600,000 mortgage.
Why can't people learn to live with in their means.

Edit: house is worth that much but I don't know how much the mortgage is.

From the article

The Greens still owed the bank on their $600,000 loan for a home they built in 2004 along the Platte River.
"Overnight I went from being a millionaire to having less than $5,000," Green said. "It was a complete shock. It was horrible. I lost about 40 pounds in two weeks. ... I decided I was going to work again and find some job."

Talk about putting all you eggs in one basket. OMG

Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
The Nebraska State Auditor is the agency who investigates fraud and waste claims.

I skipped over parts of the article, but I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the situation. So, he was caught in a pinch, called a buddy in the County and got a job. Big deal. People use connections to get positions in both private and public industry all the time. Mr. Green appears to be very qualified and it doesn't seem like he is just sitting behind a desk collecting a paycheck.
Pretty much agree. This was certainly unethical in some regards, but does not appear to have been illegal, and certainly not fraud.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Pretty much agree. This was certainly unethical in some regards, but does not appear to have been illegal, and certainly not fraud.
IMO, unethical is using your companies money to hire a hot girl to take over an open position over a more qualified candidate.

Fraud, is when you hire your retired friend for an unnecessary position at double or triple the necessary rate on the taxpayers dime.

I guess if this doesn't bother you, you don't have to agree with me. But it bothers me, I vote, and I'll use my vote to indicate my disgust. I hope other people will too.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
IMO, unethical is using your companies money to hire a hot girl to take over an open position over a more qualified candidate.

Fraud, is when you hire your retired friend for an unnecessary position at double or triple the necessary rate on the taxpayers dime.

I guess if this doesn't bother you, you don't have to agree with me. But it bothers me, I vote, and I'll use my vote to indicate my disgust. I hope other people will too.
Fraud is a specific crime, and this is definitely not fraud.

Quote:
A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.

Fraud is commonly understood as dishonesty calculated for advantage. A person who is dishonest may be called a fraud. In the U.S. legal system, fraud is a specific offense with certain features.

Fraud is most common in the buying or selling of property, including real estate, Personal Property, and intangible property, such as stocks, bonds, and copyrights. State and federal statutes criminalize fraud, but not all cases rise to the level of criminality. Prosecutors have discretion in determining which cases to pursue. Victims may also seek redress in civil court.

Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements: (1) a false statement of a material fact,(2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue, (3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim, (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.
fraud legal definition of fraud. fraud synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Fraud is a specific crime, and this is definitely not fraud.

fraud legal definition of fraud. fraud synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Lol, thanks. The next time I need a word definition, you'll be the first one I come to. Meanwhile, I guess lets just all forget about the real issue and the dozens of comments of people fuming over this news story on the omaha.com website.

Your laissez faire attitude is the minority, so don't look at me like I'm crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: