Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 PM

7 posts, read 111,672 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking about relocating to Omaha from Charlotte, NC. We would like to find an older charming property and take a few years to renovate and build into a small bed and breakfast. I'm seeing a lot of great property online with outstanding prices, but the range is pretty broad for the same types of property. I'm guessing location is the key. Are there any specific areas that are "bad"? high crime, high violence, high drug? I've combed through this forum a bit and haven't really heard a strong downside to omaha. And is there a place to get a good cheesesteak? lol. it took almost 5 years to find one in charlotte. Any info you can give would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 PM

737 posts, read 1,917,109 times
Here is what to do it is very simple, get a map of Omaha, draw a line from the top north side down along 72nd street to the south and another line from left the west side to the right east along Dodge Street. Now you have the city divided into four sections. Don't buy any property in upper right section or the lower right sections "Bad areas". The upper left section is so so. The lower left section is where you want to look for good safe area of town. Good property values.

Now I am sure folks on here will dis my directions to you, but I always tell the truth on here and folks on here get their hackles up when talking about Omaha this way. Just listen to me and you'll do just fine.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
If you want a house that looks like every other house in a 2-mile radius, has cheap vertical siding and no wood trim inside, has no trees, and no character, listen to HappyGoLucky.

The FACT is that there are a LOT of fantastic homes in what is (technically) North Omaha. In fact, houses like the one you're looking for will be found primarily in North O.

Bottom line: It's a neighborhood-by-neighborhood thing. Give us/me addresses or links & we can give our opinions.

Good luck! I think you're going to love Omaha!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Well, I think my home on 168th has quite a bit of character and I have never seen another house like it, and we have 1 large tree in our front yard and 7 in our back yard, and all of them are quite mature. However, I do agree Happy's judgment was unfair, all the other ends of the city are nice too.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:14 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,190 times
If you're looking for older homes with charm and B&B potential, investigate the following neighborhoods: Dundee/Mid-town, Happy Hollow, Field Club/Hanscom Park, Country Club, Gold Coast/Cathedral, Bemis Park and Fairacres. There are a few others, but that should get you started.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:31 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,109 times
See here we go again........Crime rates are much higher in Dundee/Mid-town, Happy Hollow, Field Club/Hanscom Park, Country Club, Gold Coast/Cathedral, Bemis Park and Fairacres than in the southwest part of town. Stay away from those area's.

The question was "Neighborhoods to stay away from?" Tell the truth people!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
See here we go again........Crime rates are much higher in Dundee/Mid-town, Happy Hollow, Field Club/Hanscom Park, Country Club, Gold Coast/Cathedral, Bemis Park and Fairacres than in the southwest part of town. Stay away from those area's.

The question was "Neighborhoods to stay away from?" Tell the truth people!!!!!!!!!
I live in part of the city you condemn. I neither pull the keys out of my pickup (sitting in the driveway) at night, nor lock the garage door. Ever.

How about you?

We could also talk about major booze and drug busts in the Millard Schools that never get reported on the news, because it's rich kids who are involved. One of my wife's co-workers, who lives in Elkhorn, talked about a party in that area where over 70 kids were arrested for underage drinking last year. We never heard one word about it from the media, because the owner of the home is a prominent lawyer in Omaha. And shall we talk about the real reason Rod Kush last his mansion?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
whats with you happy? there are many nice older neighborhoods that are not plauged by high crime. but aside from your personal preference, think a minute what this person stated they were looking for. the poster said an older house, that means not one built from the late 80's to present, stately older homes from say the 1920 vintage you wont find down your yellow brick road. cookie cutter models, you have by the acre, in scenic sw omaha.

the areas smithy mentioned would all be possibilities, but prices will vary. if the b&b is the primary reason for wanting the property, the likelihood of its success will also depend on its location. i think you really need to talk to some pple in the b&b industry, maybe contact the chamber of commerce and the bbb and get some opinions as far as the best area for that venture. im sure the b&b idea has been tried many times before over the yrs, so knowing all you can may help you avoid possible pitfalls. if you are thinking of this as a plan for a few yrs down the road, it would be important to find a house in an area that will most certainly remain stable and unchanged by neighboring areas. also some neighborhoods wouldnt welcome a b&b in their residential neighborhood, and zoning may become an issue. i would advise you to arm yourself with as much information as you can before making any committment on a house for future use as a b&b. good luck on your move.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
whats with you happy? there are many nice older neighborhoods that are not plauged by high crime. but aside from your personal preference, think a minute what this person stated they were looking for. the poster said an older house, that means not one built from the late 80's to present, stately older homes from say the 1920 vintage you wont find down your yellow brick road. cookie cutter models, you have by the acre, in scenic sw omaha.

the areas smithy mentioned would all be possibilities, but prices will vary. if the b&b is the primary reason for wanting the property, the likelihood of its success will also depend on its location. i think you really need to talk to some pple in the b&b industry, maybe contact the chamber of commerce and the bbb and get some opinions as far as the best area for that venture. im sure the b&b idea has been tried many times before over the yrs, so knowing all you can may help you avoid possible pitfalls. if you are thinking of this as a plan for a few yrs down the road, it would be important to find a house in an area that will most certainly remain stable and unchanged by neighboring areas. also some neighborhoods wouldnt welcome a b&b in their residential neighborhood, and zoning may become an issue. i would advise you to arm yourself with as much information as you can before making any committment on a house for future use as a b&b. good luck on your move.
I do think that the future Bed & Breakfast goal might be a bit tough. In addition to the zoning stuff you mentioned, most of the really cool older homes are in parts of Omaha that are a little hard to get to.

Imagine trying to guide somebody to your house in the Bemis Park area, or Happy Hollow. Those unfamiliar with Omaha could pretty easily get lost.

But you're also right about the vintage homes the OP is looking for. We bought a 2-story brick home with a double garage, that sits on a full acre lot, built in 1928. If I finish both the basement and walk-up attic, we'll have over 4,000 sqf of living space (ironically, our kids are grown). All oak flooring, wide oak woodwork, open staircase, etc. 9-foot ceilings on the main level. It's incredible. The maintenance had kind of gotten away from the older single lady who owned the home, so we got one heckuva deal on the house (a bit over 125,000).

Oddly, as I said in an earlier post, I leave the keys in my truck at night. We're in a fantastic neighborhood, even though it is in "The Dreaded North O."

Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 111,672 times
i think i should add that i grew up in washington d.c. and spent 8 years in baltimore, so my perception of a bad area may be a little different than what you're all thinking. I lived in a "bad" area in charlotte for 3 years and never knew it. haha. you've all given me tons of info to think about. Thank you very much! I'll be planning a trip to check out the city soon. I'll have to investigate the zoning and accesibility options too. those are good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha