Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 AM

181 posts, read 358,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
LOL...he fell backwards into a miracle cure with the restaurant tax. Not a lot he really did to fix it...he just got lucky.

He's had plenty of miscues prior to and after that.
Handing out raises to his staff, just to name one. Only to have the council take them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
Handing out raises to his staff, just to name one. Only to have the council take them back.
And numerous other things. He's been one bungling mess after another.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
LOL...he fell backwards into a miracle cure with the restaurant tax. Not a lot he really did to fix it...he just got lucky.

He's had plenty of miscues prior to and after that.
"Falling backwards into a miracle" was Eli Manning hitting David Tyree on that 4th down pass in the Super Bowl. What Suttle did is called finding and implementing a solution. That's not luck.

Quote:
That's incorrect. The council did not rescind the raises, nor do they have the authority to do so.

Quote:
And numerous other things. He's been one bungling mess after another.
What are you referring to? Be specific.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
"Falling backwards into a miracle" was Eli Manning hitting David Tyree on that 4th down pass in the Super Bowl. What Suttle did is called finding and implementing a solution. That's not luck.
I don't care to go look it up, but the restaurant tax was predicted to make nowhere close to what it did. Yeah--he fell backwards into it, as no one expected it to be as big of a money maker. He was expecting a fraction of what it was. He didn't plan that.

As for the rest of the things he's done? He's a laughingstock. You honestly need help coming up with more?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Actually, if my memory is correct, the tax was set at the point where it was projected to cover the budget shortfall. Coming in above those projects and leaving us with some surplus was a real nice bonus, but your characterization of it is ludicrous.

Also, you've only listed one thing as a "miscue"...that being the raises, which he was well within his authority to do. If you have more, post it up.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM

147 posts, read 259,322 times
Jim Suttle has raised all kinds of taxes - including what was supposed to be a temporary restaurant tax - and still cannot get the budget in shape.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually, if my memory is correct, the tax was set at the point where it was projected to cover the budget shortfall. Coming in above those projects and leaving us with some surplus was a real nice bonus, but your characterization of it is ludicrous.

Also, you've only listed one thing as a "miscue"...that being the raises, which he was well within his authority to do. If you have more, post it up.

The raises were not in the 2012 budget is what the underlying issue was I believe. They were taken away from those who received them. Suttle's image is that he can be a snake in the grass that tries to do things behind the councils back. Had he just put them in the 2012 budget to begin with, there would likely have not been an issue with it.

Another issue I have with Suttle was the wheel tax. I live outside the city limits and have to pay it. While I dot disagree entirely on paying it, there should be 2 tiers of the wheel tax. One for residents, and one for outside the city limits. Wheel taxes are used for the purpose that the tax denotes. However, as I do not maintain a residence within the city limits, I should not have to pay wheel tax to maintain residential streets. I would not object to paying a lower tax that accounts for that. My 4 messages to the mayor's office when the tax expansion was being discussed went unanswered. My belief is that Suttle does not really care about people as individuals and just wanted the tax money.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 PM

147 posts, read 259,322 times
Quote:
Another issue I have with Suttle was the wheel tax. I live outside the city limits and have to pay it. While I dot disagree entirely on paying it, there should be 2 tiers of the wheel tax. One for residents, and one for outside the city limits. Wheel taxes are used for the purpose that the tax denotes. However, as I do not maintain a residence within the city limits, I should not have to pay wheel tax to maintain residential streets. I would not object to paying a lower tax that accounts for that. My 4 messages to the mayor's office when the tax expansion was being discussed went unanswered. My belief is that Suttle does not really care about people as individuals and just wanted the tax money.
Do you drive on the streets of Omaha? If YES, then quit whining. There is absolutely no question that you drive MORE miles on these streets than I do, and put FAR more wear on them than I do. You SHOULD have to pay for maintenance.

I get SO sick of pansies driving into Omaha to make money, but refusing to share the load and shoulder any responsibility for maintaining the city.

This is not a free country!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,895 times
Quote:
The raises were not in the 2012 budget is what the underlying issue was I believe. They were taken away from those who received them. Suttle's image is that he can be a snake in the grass that tries to do things behind the councils back. Had he just put them in the 2012 budget to begin with, there would likely have not been an issue with it.

I can't believe people are still fussing over the raises. The Mayor has the authority without City Council approval to give the raises he gave! Period! If it was such an issue, why didn't Jean Stothert introduce an ordinance to change it? You know why? Because she wants the same authority as Mayor to give raises.
If you use Omaha roads, you should pay for them like everyone else. Either that or expect a higher restaurant tax! The restaurant tax was a good move, and Suttle's legacy of balancing the city budget will endure because of it.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I can't believe people are still fussing over the raises. The Mayor has the authority without City Council approval to give the raises he gave! Period! If it was such an issue, why didn't Jean Stothert introduce an ordinance to change it? You know why? Because she wants the same authority as Mayor to give raises.
If you use Omaha roads, you should pay for them like everyone else. Either that or expect a higher restaurant tax! The restaurant tax was a good move, and Suttle's legacy of balancing the city budget will endure because of it.
I did not say I was against the wheel tax you idiot. Read what I posted. A lesser wheel tax for those outside the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha