U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,415,705 times
Reputation: 228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
Your words....





Any effect on the real world ... blah blah blah...


Provide example...
There is nothing to give an example of. If you can't understand what an effect in the real world is, then I feel REAL sorry for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
 
181 posts, read 282,760 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
There is nothing to give an example of. If you can't understand what an effect in the real world is, then I feel REAL sorry for you!
Seems like you make up your own rules as to what can be proven or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 12:50 PM
 
816 posts, read 1,415,705 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
Seems like you make up your own rules as to what can be proven or not.
How else can you prove something exists outside of an effect in the real world? If something exists and you can't see, touch, or measure it in any way then evidence for it would be the same as evidence for something that does not exist. It's not as hard to understand you you are trying to make it.

Also EVERY word is made up. The understanding of the words we use however is simply based on an agreement of how to use those words. For me, to prove something you have to demonstrate it in some way, it has to be demonstrable! Otherwise you are wasting my time with possibilities and not probabilities.

As a side note, and to see where the argument is coming from, how would you demonstrate something actually exists?

Last edited by harshbarj; 05-09-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 PM
 
181 posts, read 282,760 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
How else can you prove something exists outside of an effect in the real world? If something exists and you can't see, touch, or measure it in any way then evidence for it would be the same as evidence for something that does not exist. It's not as hard to understand you you are trying to make it.

Also EVERY word is made up. The understanding of the words we use however is simply based on an agreement of how to use those words. For me, to prove something you have to demonstrate it in some way, it has to be demonstrable! Otherwise you are wasting my time with possibilities and not probabilities.

As a side note, and to see where the argument is coming from, how would you demonstrate something actually exists?

Let me try to make this as simple as I can for you, since you seem to have a comprehension issue.

I will use one example. Billions of people across the world believe in God, although there is no empirical proof that God exists. Using what seems to be your logic, those billions of people are wrong in believing in something that cannot be proven.

Seems convoluted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,919 posts, read 19,098,824 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
I was trying to get your opinion whether this OPD case constitutes as a cover-up or not. And if not, why not.
Ok, I thought the incident you were talking about had to do with the Knutson case.

And no, what happened here is not a "cover up".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM
 
181 posts, read 282,760 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Ok, I thought the incident you were talking about had to do with the Knutson case.

And no, what happened here is not a "cover up".
So, destroying a memory card, hiding the fact that you did, and your superior officer aiding in that situation, is not considered a cover-up? Tell me, what does constitute a cover up in the eyes of a police officer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,919 posts, read 19,098,824 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
So, destroying a memory card, hiding the fact that you did, and your superior officer aiding in that situation, is not considered a cover-up? Tell me, what does constitute a cover up in the eyes of a police officer?
You have one officer on the scene destroying a memory card, and his sergeant knowing about but not reporting the situation. Very poor decisions worthy of the punishment they are receiving, but not a "cover up" in the popular sense, especially as it relates to the Franklin case, for instance. That requires A LOT more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM
 
5,239 posts, read 6,746,002 times
Reputation: 11326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You have one officer on the scene destroying a memory card, and his sergeant knowing about but not reporting the situation.
To me that constitutes a cover up. If you want to minimize it, well nothing said here will change your mind.

In any case this all seems very off topic from the original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,919 posts, read 19,098,824 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
To me that constitutes a cover up. If you want to minimize it, well nothing said here will change your mind.

In any case this all seems very off topic from the original post.
Wait, what? Who is minimizing anything? I'm pretty sure the post of mine right above yours says that the offense was worthy of losing their careers over.

As for what constitutes a cover up, guess that's a matter of opinion. If you spill some milk on the floor and clean it up so no one finds out, you've engaged in a cover up in the most technical sense. Again, in the popular sense (and in the sense being discussed in this thread) you'd need more than two people who were immediately involved in the situation before you had a "cover up".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 AM
 
11 posts, read 31,131 times
Reputation: 10
Ok. Does anyone know if there is a large gay community around Omaha? Just had someone ask me, and I have no idea at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top