Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM

46 posts, read 239,386 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am currently a highschool senior living in Virginia Beach, VA. Before this I lived in Bellevue, NE for about 5 years. Can't say I was too fond of Bellevue, but I did like Omaha quite a bit, and am pondering returning home to study at UNO. A couple questions relating to this:

1. If I choose to move back, I will be moving there with my girlfriend (who also recently left the area) and friend. We are all 18 - which poses a potential problem since, thanks to Nebraska's backwards laws, we would have to be 19 to sign a contract on a residency. Is this law 100% in all cases, or are there some exceptions? My mom lives in Virginia, my dad in Oklahoma, my friend's parents in Virginia, and my girlfriend's in Illinois - so we don't really have a way around getting a place to live. Obviously since I would be attending college, I have the option of living in the dorms, but the other 2 involved are not. I have tried researching this matter, but there doesn't seem to be any information on it - I guess there aren't many 18 year olds swarming to the area unless they're attending college. If we still couldn't do this - what if my girlfriend and I were to be married? Or, if we did have someone to co-sign the lease for an apartment or whatever, are they expected to be living with us? Or, since in every other state 18 is old enough to do so, does this just bind them as financially responsible for us?

2. Are there any houses that are relatively inexpensive in decent locations in Omaha? An apartment would be cheaper (and I expect we'll have to go this route) but I am a musician of numerous instruments (drums being the concern in this case) and have played in bands since I was in 6th grade or so, so I am looking into the possibility of house rental. As of now, it is only us three, but the other two people will probably be working full time (keep in mind, they haven't attended college yet, so the pay range is only so big). I really don't know anything about houses in Omaha. I guess the only real requirement is that it is two bedrooms and is not in a seedy part of North O or something. We aren't expecting to be living in an upper class neighborhood or anything, just something we feel safe in. Any directions you can point me in?

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to moving back to Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:33 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,255 times
Well, those Nebraska laws are not exactly backwards. They're made to protect minors. Plus, in the case of renters, I'm not sure if the law is 19+. You may be talking about purchase contracts (i.e., buying a house). But I'm not positive on it right off hand.

At any rate, there is no reason that you can't get your mother or father to cosign on your lease...even if they aren't living in the state. No, the cosigner, which is actually a guarantor, is not required to live with you. Like you stated, they are just promising to pay if you default.

From a practical point of view, even if the law in Nebraska was 18 and older, you'd probably still need a cosigner. You're fresh out of highschool, with little work experience, and no past housing references. If you were 23 with those same characteristics you'd need to get a cosigner in order to live in a decent place. Its nothing against you personally...you just have little history to show the owner you're trustworthy.

Nevertheless, you should be able to get a place no problem. There are plenty of 18 year olds who rent places in Nebraska. Again, I'm not sure if your version of the rental law is correct and even if it is you shouldn't have a probelm at all using a co-signer/guarantor.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Thanks. Yeah, my interpretation of the law may be shaky since when I did live there, I didn't care as I wasn't even old enough to drive. As far as parents, I'm pretty sure none of them are willing to put their credit on the line, haha.

I'll look more into it. By that time we'd all only be a couple months away from 19 anyway.

I've been looking at houses for rent in the Omaha area...man I forgot how much cheaper the midwest is than the coasts. Still looking for help in that area, if anyone can.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:03 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkfloridasink View Post
Thanks. As far as parents, I'm pretty sure none of them are willing to put their credit on the line, haha.
The problem with your first contract is if your parents are not willing to put their credit on the line that is an indication of a possible trust issue. That's a red flag for any creditor or landlord - if parents can't trust then why should they as a total stranger. I also know if I am approached to co-sign (which I never do), my first question is why a parent, sibling, or close relative won't.

Good luck. Bellevue, Papillion, Ralston, Omaha have grown in a good way in recent years. I hope you like the area again - a real nice development occuring on the old AkSarBen property.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
The problem with your first contract is if your parents are not willing to put their credit on the line that is an indication of a possible trust issue. That's a red flag for any creditor or landlord - if parents can't trust then why should they as a total stranger. I also know if I am approached to co-sign (which I never do), my first question is why a parent, sibling, or close relative won't.

Good luck. Bellevue, Papillion, Ralston, Omaha have grown in a good way in recent years. I hope you like the area again - a real nice development occuring on the old AkSarBen property.

well, they trust me...my family just is one of those "fiend for yourself" families...they take the attitude that, at 18, they were able to do everything on their own - so why can't I? My girlfriend's parents might be a little more understanding, we'll see. I could definitely see landlords seeing that as a red flag, but if our parents are multiple states away, I hope they don't hold that against us...

what's the area around 58th and grover like? I am looking at a house that seems alright with very cheap rent...obviously by the time I move out there it will be long gone, but there may be other houses in that area worth checking out, if the area is decent.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,813 times
UNO has a housing office that can assist you with your questions. Here is the link to their web site.

UNO | Housing

Hope that this will be of help. I am sure with you being a college student going to UNO that some land lords will work with you even if you are only 18 years old.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,813 times
I have also done the research for you concerning age for rental agreements. Here is the link to our outdated laws so that you as a mature 18 year old can look for yourself to see if there is something that this 58 year old might have missed.

Nebraska Real Estate Commission (http://www.nrec.state.ne.us//landlordact.htm - broken link)

In short I could not find anything in the law that sets a age for entering into a rental agreement. Now you can not go out to enter into a long term contract where you have to make payments on something unless you have reached the age of majority which is 19 years old. As Matt said it is to protect you and the bank or who ever enters into a contract. I know this is what the law was made to do, as my oldest son tried this, with out my knowledge, until the bank called and wanted me to come in to co-sign the loan with him. I did not as he was not working and I was not going to pay for his car so that he could just go out and have fun at my expense.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
Quote:
what's the area around 58th and grover like? I am looking at a house that seems alright with very cheap rent...obviously by the time I move out there it will be long gone, but there may be other houses in that area worth checking out, if the area is decent.
That is a safe decent area. Its generally close to UNO, its an area that is getting some redevelopment interest (the old AkSarBen property if you remember that from when you were here before). It is a good area to look.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 19,474 times
Also, just to add - yes, in Nebraska you must be 19 to sign a lease. You may find a landlord willing to bend a bit on the rules but it may be tough. Even with a co-signer, it may be problematic if none in the apartment or home are of age.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 12,484 times
Default i have a 4 bedroom house and i am looking for studend that ist interestes to rent maiL MESCHGAN

i am looking for Students that is interested to rend a house.
i have a 4 Bedroom House with a finish Basement and a lot space i need 4 to 5 student. If you are interested please Contact me [email]meschgan@hotmail.com[/email]

thanks

Magen

Quote:
Hello all!

I am currently a highschool senior living in Virginia Beach, VA. Before this I lived in Bellevue, NE for about 5 years. Can't say I was too fond of Bellevue, but I did like Omaha quite a bitam pondering returning home to study at UNO. A couple questions relating to this:

1. If I choose to move back, I will be moving there with my girlfriend (who also recently left the area) and friend. We are all 18 - which poses a potential problem since, thanks to Nebraska's backwards laws, we would have to be 19 to sign a contract on a residency. Is this law 100% in all cases, or are there some exceptions? My mom lives in Virginia, my dad in Oklahoma, my friend's parents in Virginia, and my girlfriend's in Illinois - so we don't really have a way around getting a place to live. Obviously since I would be attending college, I have the option of living in the dorms, but the other 2 involved are not. I have tried researching this matter, but there doesn't seem to be any information on it - I guess there aren't many 18 year olds swarming to the area unless they're attending college. If we still couldn't do this - what if my girlfriend and I were to be married? Or, if we did have someone to co-sign the lease for an apartment or whatever, are they expected to be living with us? Or, since in every other state 18 is old enough to do so, does this just bind them as financially responsible for us?

2. Are there any houses that are relatively inexpensive in decent locations in Omaha? An apartment would be cheaper (and I expect we'll have to go this route) but I am a musician of numerous instruments (drums being the concern in this case) and have played in bands since I was in 6th grade or so, so I am looking into the possibility of house rental. As of now, it is only us three, but the other two people will probably be working full time (keep in mind, they haven't attended college yet, so the pay range is only so big). I really don't know anything about houses in Omaha. I guess the only real requirement is that it is two bedrooms and is not in a seedy part of North O or something. We aren't expecting to be living in an upper class neighborhood or anything, just something we feel safe in. Any directions you can point me in?

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to moving back to Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha