Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:26 AM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times

Advertisements

I'm shopping for a new home. My favorite scenario is a small home built between 1940 and 1960. And, there are lots of them on the market. However, if I look on Trullia--which shows a crime map for the area, most of these beautiful and affordable homes are in east Omaha. I know that Trullia's crime maps are not absolutely accurate. But, the maps show burglaries, car thefts, assaults etc. Who wants to buy a new home and worry about crime? Some of these beautiful old houses--often nicely updated--stay on the market for months. And yet property taxes are relatively high.

Thoughts? Proposed solutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
If you don't know Omaha neighborhoods well, one solution would be to look for older homes in Ralston, Papillion, La Vista, Elkhorn, and maybe Gretna. Those twins are not high-crime areas.

Most of the worst crime in Omaha, though, is concentrated in the northeast part of the city. Aksarben, the immediate area around UNO, Dundee, and Benson have some affordable older homes and are OK from a crime standpoint. If you limit your search to those areas, you'll be all right.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:50 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Unless you a) live in a couple very small select pockets of the city and/or b) partake in some kind of drug or gang activity, there is very little reason to be worried about any sort of crime, in the northeast part of the city. I lived on 41st and Ames Avenue in the early and mid 1990s. While not part of the true North Omaha, it was close enough and the worst thing that ever happened to me was a bicycle getting stolen.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've found a home in Valley. But, I really would have preferred one of the older homes in east Omaha. But, when I look at the Trullia real estate website, which shows crimes around the the listed house, there seems like a lot of it
until you get west of about 75th street. I know that the crime reports will vary with population density and that may be part of it. But, as an older woman, I do not want to be thinking about burglaries or car theft. Still I imagine that those of you who have lived in Omaha for years have a better idea of the actual dangers than I do.

Also, I'm aware of the towns in Sarpy county. (I live in Bellevue.) And I did look at La Vista and Papillion--not so many older (and inexpensive) homes come up for sell there. A ton of cookie-cutter tract homes in the area.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM

393 posts, read 409,039 times
Valley was a great choice, you can't go wrong. Omaha is too crowded, mean, and crime ridden, not to mention the state of their public schools.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Valley has flooded in the past. Just a word of warning. I would not live there!

Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 PM

The house I'm buying is on an elevated lot and does not have a basement. In fact, although flood insurance is required, due to the findings of an elevation survey, it won't be particularly expensive.
I know there was a big flood in 1912--two years after this house was built. It's easy to find pictures on the web of this flood in Valley. The flood was due to ice jams in the Platte and Elkorn rivers. From what I've read they know how to deal with these ice jams now--breaking them up before the river floods.
Still there are parts of the town that have signs saying that the road can become unusable due to flooding Personally, I'm retired and could stay in my home for quite a while before having to go anywhere.

Does anyone know when the last serious flood in Valley was? Web link?

Old 02-18-2017, 06:13 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
As long as you know the risks.

I'm 63 and in my life I remember one big flood of Valley and I will have to guess it was the late 70's or maybe early 80's. All floods are called 100 year or 500 year floods but they all seem to happen every 20-50 years.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Why do people build in the 100 year flood plain anyway? 20% chance of a flood within 20 years...

Plus what you say....seems that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
As long as you know the risks.

I'm 63 and in my life I remember one big flood of Valley and I will have to guess it was the late 70's or maybe early 80's. All floods are called 100 year or 500 year floods but they all seem to happen every 20-50 years.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:51 PM

749 posts, read 733,779 times
Sorry I'm late to the discussion.

I've lived here in North O (close to Dodge St, but oh well) for many years. I could tell you specifically where to - and where not to - buy a house.

Believe it or not, unless you're in a gang and/or involved with drugs, you won't have ANY problems in virtually any neighborhood or area. Contrary to what the media tells you, this is not a war zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha