Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,445 times

Advertisements

I'm considering coming to Creighton for law school, but I know almost nothing about Omaha. Can someone recommend apartments with 15 minutes of the school where crime rates or excess noice (i.e. typical college students) would not be a problem?

Ideally, I will find a one-bedroom somewhere around $550 or less, but I appreciate any suggestions.

Additionally, I will be moving there for the fall semester. How is the local rental market? Should I look at signing a lease early in the summer or is there typically ample supply that will allow me to sign in late July?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 AM

39 posts, read 236,778 times
Hey I just moved here from Seattle to attend Creighton Nursing this fall - I had a tough time renting from far away (I also knew nothing about Omaha or the midwest in general!), but once I got here we were able to find a nice place to live very quickly. I chose to live about 20-25 mins away from the school because it is very nice and quiet out here in West Omaha (its also a few blocks away from my boyfriends work) so hopefully I don't regret that once school starts but for now I love it... Our one bedroom is like 700$ so a little more then I had hoped but its brand new with granite counters and its huge (over 900 sq ft)! Check out the CIP rental company (www.rentcip.com) they have lots of complexes in Omaha. Also, check into living in Bellevue - its about 15-25 mins away but also seems quieter and less crime and whatnot. I'm new here though so I don't know too much more then that

Old 04-22-2008, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,445 times
Thanks for the reply!
What is traffic like? (this is probably a stupid question to ask someone from Seattle, but anyway!...) How are the 80s (I-80, I-680, and I-480)? is it pretty steady during rush hour or will it be a situation where you need 20 extra minutes to get from I-680 and Dodge to Creighton? Keep in mind... I am talking "midwest traffic," not "Seattle traffic"

Did you look at anything in the $550 range? Are they in pretty bad shape? That website had a couple of apartments in that range that looked ok, but they can make any complex look good on a site.

How are you liking Omaha so far? I have never talked to anyone who said it is anything other than a great town.

Thanks again

Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,792 times
I would say there is ample supply of apartments that you can find a good one bedroom for $550 or less. You won't need an extra 20 mintues of commute time, unless there is a major accident or the weather is crappy. Rush hour probably just adds few minutes, it usually flows pretty good. Here is a thread where they talk about some apartments:
Moving to omaha soon. Need info
You might also try the World-Herald classifieds to find more options:
Omaha.com Marketplace Homes

Old 04-22-2008, 03:07 PM

yeah check out those old posts, probably from me looking for apartment help but people were very helpful overall...

we looked at one apartment from that website that was 600$ (oak tree or something oak run?) and it wasn't in terrible shape but it was a first floor apartment and the bedroom closest was kinda small, and the kitchen appliances were okay but not new, oh and the washer/dryer were stackable - but all that being sad, it was a good apartment that we liked! there are SO many apartment complexes around here, i'm sure you can find something in that range - its just not going to be new and probably not going to have a washer/dryer in unit. i used the internet to check reviews to see what people complained about (but took into consideration that almost no one ever leaves positive comments) but it was helpful.

as for traffic, i have not really been driving around A TON especially during rush hour but yesterday drove from downtown Omaha to our apartment in West Omaha at like 4:30ish and it still only took us 25 mins (on W Dodge Rd/ US-6) so its NOTHING like Seattle traffic

Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 PM

Oh, and I like Omaha just fine - the weather has been great and I can't wait to get out and explore more! It has only been about a week though! :-p

Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 AM

226 posts, read 1,008,203 times
Check out RD Bar... they had a beautiful one bedroom apartment off of 36th & Leavenworth for an amazingly low $375/mo which included heat... But we decided to move to Reno, NV to be closer to my family in CA and to get to a warmer climate (NE winters are harsh)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha