Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 06:53 AM

346 posts, read 308,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You should have come two winters ago! The potholes were so bad I hesitated to drive to less familiar parts of town where I didn't have the location of the numerous large potholes memorized, lest I hit one at speed and wreck my car. Fortunately most of the worst of the holes have now been filled in now, but that late winter/spring was terrible!

Ah ok. I been having trouble securing an address in the Omaha area. I wont be able to visit I dont believe before moving. I plan to put it in gear and just leave this place.

Theres gotta be someone out there willing to give a chance isnt there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 03:28 PM

10,356 posts, read 7,988,269 times
I'm sure you'll be able to find a rental somewhere, but unfortunately I no longer am familiar enough with the rental market here to be able to offer you much useful advice.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Hey there, LLO....we've lived in both Omaha and Dallas- we just moved to....wait for it....Oregon (lol) a little less than a year ago (the coast) from Dallas, where we lived for two years because of my husband's job which he now is able to do from home. Living in Oregon....works for Dallas...gotta love it, hahaha. Anyhooo....

I would definitely go for Omaha- it's crazy crowded in Dallas, I mean seriously crowded- it gets super hot and shockingly humid, and the combination is insane- and it wasn't a cheap place to live for sure (rental wise), although there's a lot to do. The traffic is pretty crazy, the drivers are...well, pretty crazy, haha- as far as just general cost of living, I didn't see a whole lot of difference between prices for everyday things between the two places- we moved there because my husband is tech, and for what he does, TX, MN, CA and FL were the top places- so TX it was, lol.

Omaha seems more stable than just about anywhere else I've ever seen- you'll have your seasons, quite a bit to do...the med ctr they have there is tops, and we moved there to begin with because of the job opportunities, it just seems to stay on an even keel while the rest of the country just seems to go to hades in a handbasket, lol. So, yeah- I would definitely go with Omaha.

P.S.....did I mention the tornadoes in Dallas? Not that Omaha doesn't get them and not that I haven't seen them in both places, but the ones in Dallas were as rough, tough, and rowdy as....well, Texas! lol

Sorry if you've already chosen, I didn't read through the entire forum- and either way, good luck!

Old 12-24-2021, 12:09 PM

573 posts, read 549,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
there are so many huge differences between Portland, Omaha, and Dallas that OP is gonna need to whittle it down to preferences / time frame / events and desires of life.

I would suggest all 3 have their merits and none of the 3 are perfect.

Chose the one that fits at the moment and consider it may be another 5-10 yr plan before you migrate again.

For instance... if in peak earning yrs, State Income tax free Dallas might win, Maybe for variety of career options?

After peak earning yrs, and certainly for retirement / aging in place... Nebraska always wins. "It's the good life"
https://www.omaha.com/news/state_and...00f7bb865.html
Never consider moving to Portland unless it is the one in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: