Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM

42 posts, read 97,848 times

Advertisements

Right now there is a compelling argument about BSL - mainly focusing on Rots and Pits. Is it alright to ban something due to their Breed? People think Pit Bulls / Rots are "bad" dogs because they have been in the media's light much more often then other dogs.

My question is this if we ban dog by their breed due to their "aggresive traits" Should we be able to ban peoples by their race, if their race is known to commit more crime than another?

"African Americans make up about 12 percent of the general population, yet they account for about 39 percent of part 1 violent crime arrests."

Introduction to Criminal Justice. (2008). (11th ed.). Thomson Wadsworth.

I am in no way trying to be racist, I am merely trying to make a point.
The breed isn't the problem, its what people have turned this breed into. Shar Pei's where once a very mean viscious dog - look at them now through the work of good owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:19 PM

cmon people - I want to hear what you think about this "argument" too!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:31 PM

240 posts, read 504,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessers View Post
cmon people - I want to hear what you think about this "argument" too!

1.) I think you are making a thoughtless comparison. The ruling class (white people) make laws that put more black people at risk of going to jail (drug laws) when it is harder to get an education and find legitimate employment in that community. That is why incarceration rates are so high. This incarceration cycle and a poor education system create a lack of hope and more people competing for less resources. This is why violent crime is higher in the black community.

That is alot different from a dog that is bred to fight. I don't think that a dog is aware of any lack of hope or resources to better itself.

2.) Your statement makes no sense when you say the "The breed isn't the problem, its what people have turned this breed into"

People "invented" this breed of animal for the specific purposes of dog fighting. Thus, the animal is bred to fight. That being the case, this dog probably doesn't need to exist anymore, especially in an urban environment or around children.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
If I were a black man, I'd find it offensive to be compared to a breed of dog.

People can take responsibility for themselves. Dogs don't know right from wrong.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:50 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,587 times
Default ...

Why am I not surprised anymore with threads like these?

In Omaha, the number of black in-migration is high, as well as hispanic and asian..

in the 1980's Omaha was almost 92% white, it has fallen to below 74%..

Omaha is getting more diverse and you can see it everywhere..

Also, Omaha is a community that works together... for the most part..

Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 PM

The point wasnt to say that black people are bad ... the point was that we are punishing the whole for the few. It must have been pretty tough to read through that...

Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
Todd,

I think the guys point is that its the "breed's" environment that has driven it to its aggressiveness. Just like generations of economic pressure, unavailability to education, and discrimination have driven a disproportionate number of minorities to crime. His whole point was to display how silly the idea of banning an entire breed was. He was NOT "comparing" african-americans to dogs. He was making an analogy...there is a difference. To not separate those issues and attack him as a racist is cheap and really just weakens your logical stance.

While I wish the guy would have chose another analogy I will have to agree with him on the dog ban. Hypothetically, pretend all pitbulls disappear tomorrow. What do you think would happen? Those idiots who want to fight dogs would simply replace them with Rots. Now say we make all Rots disappear. The idiots would then turn to Dobermans. Then to German Shephards. Then to whatever else they can think of.

The point is...its not the breed...its the breeder. If you raise a Pit bull in a loving and nonviolent lifestyle he will be fine. Take a German Shephard and train it to fight, kill, and generally be aggressive and that's exactly what you'll get. Its the environment they are raised in...not their DNA.

This is a case where the media and people want to blame someone. Well, its easy to blame the breed but that carries zero intellectual consequence. You must blame the people who train their dogs to behave like this. That is the problem!!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 PM

7 posts, read 33,499 times
Default Pit bulls

First let me say that I have a dog that is half pit bull, the most loving and sensitive dog ever! Also the smartest. Instead of banning pit bulls, look at the circumstances surrounding vicious ones. Doesn't it seem like most attacks involve more than one pit bull? And I'll bet that almost all of those dogs are non-neutered males. Why not start with a law that says that all pit bulls must be spayed or neutered, and a household may only own one! See how it goes, then start taking about a ban. What do you think?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,883 times
How about simply:

First offense for biting incident: VERY hefty fine, pet euthanized without exception
Second offense: Owner euthanized... okay, just kidding, seriously, a VERY lenghy jail term

Tough enough penalties.. hopefully the word is spread, and otherwise negligent pet owners start to think about it.

Also... how about jacking up license fees on non-spayed/neutered pets to $250+... so owners are basically given no alternative BUT to have the procedure done... more hefty penalties for non-compliance.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:32 AM

13 posts, read 31,438 times
Ban em.

These dogs are different because of their raw power, both in their body and their jaws. Add to the fact that pit bulls "see red" once they get started and they refuse to stop until physically pulled off their victims and you can see the difference between them and other dogs. These are not merely dog bites - these are dog attacks. These dogs are dangerous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha