Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:19 AM

605 posts, read 1,199,297 times

Advertisements

If you believe in equal rights for marriage show up at 60th and Dodge, nar UNO at about 12noon, the protest will start about 12:30pm see JointheImpact for additional info. This IS a NATIONWIDE protest, every state in the nation will be having one. it'll be good for Nebraska's GLBT community considering Nebraska has one of the harshest anti-gay marriage amendments in the nation, and is a state that could give a **** about its own GLBT residents.
Time to fight! For your right! To maaaarrrrryyyyyy!

No bigots ALLOWED!!!!

See also Omaha Gay Village (http://omahagayvillage.ning.com - broken link)

Last edited by SurfOmaha; 11-15-2008 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: added additional website

Old 11-15-2008, 12:44 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,282 times
If I would have known about this earlier I would have gone.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Man, I think I am happy to live here in AR...

Nita

Old 11-15-2008, 02:29 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,899,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Man, I think I am happy to live here in AR...

Nita
Oh Snap!! Inflamatory!!

K, i'm not a gay man, but who really gives a damn if two people who love each other get married?

People can't help who they love. My sisters husband is a total loser but I have to respect the fact they are in love....jeez

Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Oh Snap!! Inflamatory!!

K, i'm not a gay man, but who really gives a damn if two people who love each other get married?

People can't help who they love. My sisters husband is a total loser but I have to respect the fact they are in love....jeez
I am talking about protesting not who you marry. Your statement about your sister is true..we all have to respect anothers choice as long as it is a legal one....What happened in Calif shows how the majority feel about this..And I am tired of seeing groups like the Mormans getting blamed for things..No, I am not a morman, nor do I necessarily believe in the teachings of the church...

Nita

Old 11-15-2008, 03:09 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,073,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
If you believe in equal rights for marriage show up at 60th and Dodge, nar UNO at about 12noon, the protest will start about 12:30pm see JointheImpact for additional info. This IS a NATIONWIDE protest, every state in the nation will be having one. it'll be good for Nebraska's GLBT community considering Nebraska has one of the harshest anti-gay marriage amendments in the nation, and is a state that could give a **** about its own GLBT residents.
Time to fight! For your right! To maaaarrrrryyyyyy!

No bigots ALLOWED!!!!

See also Omaha Gay Village (http://omahagayvillage.ning.com - broken link)

Have you ever thought that maybe it's not about hate?

The people voted. Maybe they don't want it. Perhaps we're sick of the judges taking it upon themselves to overrule the will of the people.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:49 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

The people voted. Maybe they don't want it. Perhaps we're sick of the judges taking it upon themselves to overrule the will of the people.
Its not about hate, its about fear. People in Cali voted the way they did because they were lied to. The yes-on-8 campaign told folks that if it was voted down then their kids would be subjected to a "gay agenda" in the public schools and have to learn about gay-ness which would make them more likely to be gay. Ridiculous! It is also my understanding from speaking to family members back home that the churches were really pushing their members to vote yes. Not just the Mormon church (even though it was mostly their money that funded the campaign of lies) but especially the Catholic church.

Not hate...fear.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:28 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

I don't think some of you get it. This isn't a case where what the majority wants should rule, because this time the majority voted to take equal rights away from the minority. The courts are designed to uphold rights for minorities.

What makes this especially sad is that this affects the majority in absolutely NO way whatsoever. Gay people getting married hurts straight people in absolutely no way.

Let's put this in a different context. Suppose that this wasn't a vote to let gay people get married. Suppose that this was a vote to make black people stand at the back of the bus. At one time that was the majority's opinion too.

That being said -- I don't think this was about hate, just fear and ignorance.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:39 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,899,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I don't think some of you get it. This isn't a case where what the majority wants should rule, because this time the majority voted to take equal rights away from the minority. The courts are designed to uphold rights for minorities.

What makes this especially sad is that this affects the majority in absolutely NO way whatsoever. Gay people getting married hurts straight people in absolutely no way.

Let's put this in a different context. Suppose that this wasn't a vote to let gay people get married. Suppose that this was a vote to make black people stand at the back of the bus. At one time that was the majority's opinion too.

Bingo!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,073,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post

And I really don't think you get it.

Nobody's rights are being taken away. This is not to be comapred to, nor does it have anything to do with race. The small minority is saying, though, that they want marriage THEIR way.

The people voted...they want marriage protected. What's going to hurt this country is liberal judges that think they can re-write laws they don't like.

What's next? Is some liberal moonbat judge going to rule that if some guy in Utah wants 12 wives, he should be allowed to...because it doesn't hurt the general population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: