Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM

704 posts, read 1,873,071 times

Advertisements

Anybody else think that Hal Daub attacking Jim Suttle over his veiws on immigration is a little slimy? I mean I didn't think are electing a person to a Federal Law enforement post are we?? I'm not into anyone who uses the Republincan's "Southern Strategy" to scare people into voting for them.

Seems to me this kind of slimy tactic leaves such a bitter taste in my mouth that I cannot take Daub seriously. In contrast the generally positive slant of the Suttle compaign seals the deal for me.

any thoughts from the crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,548,538 times
hal daub is desperate

just like jon blumenthal out in district 5 (those in district 5 know about the VERY ugly city council campaign there)

I pray neither one wins cause they remind me of Pete Ricketts a few years ago

(win at all costs, no matter how much smearing you do on your rival)

BTW, for the record, I am rooting for Suttle and Stohert to win (though I dont live in district 5, I hope Jean wins)

Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,864 times
I wouldn't say he's desperate. In fact, he's kind of the front runner at this point. His ads are very unecessary though. He could have done much better selling himself rather than unselling Suttle.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,560,122 times
Not slimy... alot of local law enforcement nationwide struggles with how active to be involved in crime enforcement with individuals that have an illegal status... some turn a blind eye and say its a national issue.... some jump in when they directly encounter but then get involved.... others actively work with national agencies.

Important consideration because each of those 3 has different impact to how the local public safety folks are used which then has a direct impact on staffing levels and budgets.

Don't see it as a Republican/Democratic things - just how they view/manage public safety philosophy.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
I don't find it slimey at all. Suttle said that he doesn't think illegal immigration is a crime. Illegal immigration is a concern, it is a valid point.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't find it slimey at all. Suttle said that he doesn't think illegal immigration is a crime. Illegal immigration is a concern, it is a valid point.

I think you are misquoting Suttle when you suggest he doesn't think Illegal Immigration is a crime. I believe what he has stated is that he believes that rather than use manpower and resources to prosecute these people, perhaps it would make better public policy to amend the laws so that these people can be given legal status.

In my opinion that makes a lot of sense becasue then they are taxed and counted correctly and many of issues that are caused by illegal immigration are eliminated at a fraction of the cost of trying to deport 13 million people. You bring these people into the mix and it is easier for them to assimilate and become proserous citizens contributing to the well being of the communitties they live in.

But once again, all the local efforts don't really amount to a hill of beans if the federal level does not do something to stop the flow of undocumneted people entering the country. In my opinion the best action would be to secure the border to stop the crime and freeflow of illegal goods acroos the border. But in turn we need to make it easier for for people who want to come here for legal purposes to come in a legal fashion. I think that this sentiment is much closer to the ideology that Suttle espouses.

What say you?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:32 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I think you are misquoting Suttle when you suggest he doesn't think Illegal Immigration is a crime. I believe what he has stated is that he believes that rather than use manpower and resources to prosecute these people, perhaps it would make better public policy to amend the laws so that these people can be given legal status.

In my opinion that makes a lot of sense becasue then they are taxed and counted correctly and many of issues that are caused by illegal immigration are eliminated at a fraction of the cost of trying to deport 13 million people. You bring these people into the mix and it is easier for them to assimilate and become proserous citizens contributing to the well being of the communitties they live in.

But once again, all the local efforts don't really amount to a hill of beans if the federal level does not do something to stop the flow of undocumneted people entering the country. In my opinion the best action would be to secure the border to stop the crime and freeflow of illegal goods acroos the border. But in turn we need to make it easier for for people who want to come here for legal purposes to come in a legal fashion. I think that this sentiment is much closer to the ideology that Suttle espouses.

What say you?
I say you work for Suttles campaign

I also say that it really doesn't matter if Suttle believes illegal immigration is a crime or not -- the fact is, it is a crime. It is criminal for a business to knowingly hire illegal immigrants and it is a crime for illegal immigrants to work and live in a country without a visa or work permit.

Illegal immigration would work fine if it was only a matter of a few hundred thousand people. Its not. There are an estimated 8-20 million illegal immigrants living and working in the US today. ID fraud, tax fraud and driving down wages are just a few of the problems this surge of illegal immigration has brought us. And yes, American will do the jobs the illegals do -- but they do demand a living wage and benefits to do it. Businesses take advantage of illegals desperation and low standards of living (many people/families to one house to save on rent for example) by paying them far, far less then they would be expected to pay legal immigrants and citizens. By justifying this the businesses and illegals you are condemning the illegals themselves to crap wages and unsafe working conditions.

As for the sentiment lets just do an amnesty and seal the borders and no more illegal immigration problem ....... I do believe Reagan tried that in '86.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Not slimy... alot of local law enforcement nationwide struggles with how active to be involved in crime enforcement with individuals that have an illegal status... some turn a blind eye and say its a national issue.... some jump in when they directly encounter but then get involved.... others actively work with national agencies.

Important consideration because each of those 3 has different impact to how the local public safety folks are used which then has a direct impact on staffing levels and budgets.

Don't see it as a Republican/Democratic things - just how they view/manage public safety philosophy.
Agreed 100%. Suttle made a VERY stupid statement regarding a VERY important issue, and Hal is taking him out behind the woodshed for it like any good politician should.

I also question how anyone could tell me with a straight face that they want Suttle over Daub. While Suttle comes off as a very nice guy to me, if you listen to him talk it becomes clear that he lacks the vision (among other things) to continue taking Omaha to the next level.

Hal Daub is the one who really put Omaha on this track we're on now. I'd be ecstatic to have that again.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Suttle was very clear. "We need to go to the source of the problem and quit making criminals out of the companies, quit making criminals out of the people, however they might come across the border."

He wants to quit making criminals out of the criminals.

Also, how about the claims that Suttle has repeatedly voted to cut funding for the police department and against hiring new police officers? How is that anywhere near acceptable?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Suttle was very clear. "We need to go to the source of the problem and quit making criminals out of the companies, quit making criminals out of the people, however they might come across the border."

He wants to quit making criminals out of the criminals.

Also, how about the claims that Suttle has repeatedly voted to cut funding for the police department and against hiring new police officers? How is that anywhere near acceptable?

Aren't we facing a budget problem shouldn't all issues be on the table? I personally don't think that's the place to start but it needs to be open to discussion right?? That's a huge part of the budget.

BTW ... I don't work for Suttle. I'm just offended by Daubs attempts to scare people into thinking if Suttle is mayor their will be more Mexicans in their neighborhoods, preety shameful if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha