Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,102,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
No, I didn't watch that. I don't spend very much time glued to the TV. Here's why: Wife & 18-year old daughter at home. I'm out-voted. So while they're watching Pride & Prejudice for the 437th time (this month), I'm either reading or doing home remodeling & repairs.
You can watch it online.

I highly suggest watching it. It's a really good discussion without the political bull****.

Anyway, let me give you an example of what a steaming load of crap all this is: We live right next to an elementary school (which makes sense since our youngest child is 18). The school also houses Boys & Girls Clubs.

Quote:
Last fall, at about 4:00 PM on a weekday, there was a huge commotion at the school. Sirens from all directions. 2 fire trucks, a fire & rescue truck, 3 cop cars and an ambulance all came thundering in.

For about half-hour, they all sat there with their engines running and lights on. Finally they all walked out with a lady who had fainted at the school. No fire. No smoke. No shooting. No nothing. Just a lady who felt light-headed, sat down and passed out for a few moments.

So... How many tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars got spent on that little fiasco? Why were there fire trucks there? Why all the squad cars? And what would have happened had there actually been a real fire somewhere?

It's ridiculous, but they do it because they can.
It's hard to see why that happened. Despite common misconception they just don't go "oh hell, I'll tag along on this call since I'm bored". For whatever reason it must have given the dispatcher reason to believe it required that kind of response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 09:32 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,712,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You can watch it online.

I highly suggest watching it. It's a really good discussion without the political bull****.

It's hard to see why that happened. Despite common misconception they just don't go "oh hell, I'll tag along on this call since I'm bored". For whatever reason it must have given the dispatcher reason to believe it required that kind of response.
Could be.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not down on cops and firefighters. Nothing like that.

But I do believe there has to be balance - especially when it comes to Unions. If you've ever read Upton Sinclair's, "The Jungle" you can see why Unions are extremely important. But when they have too much power they destroy companies, ruin schools, and bankrupt cities.

The Omaha Police & Fire Unions need to be accountable to the taxpayers of Omaha - and at this point they're not.

We need balance and accountability.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,531,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Could be.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not down on cops and firefighters. Nothing like that.

But I do believe there has to be balance - especially when it comes to Unions. If you've ever read Upton Sinclair's, "The Jungle" you can see why Unions are extremely important. But when they have too much power they destroy companies, ruin schools, and bankrupt cities.

The Omaha Police & Fire Unions need to be accountable to the taxpayers of Omaha - and at this point they're not.

We need balance and accountability.
Omaha, I agree with that 1,000%. This also falls onto the government sector. ::cough cough, our senate majority.:: Oh wait, the majority from the last repub fukups, also.

They may be fueld by different lobbying powers, but it's the same ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: