Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,893 times

Advertisements

Why? What are you trying to accomplish? We know the city isn't perfect, but why is it your mission to try to hurt the image of the city as much as possible? Statistically we are one of the better cities for crime, education, labor force, growth, jobs, standard of living, entertainment etc. So why are you putting up individual negative news stories and diluting the board with them? Why don't you put up things about this place that make you proud?

By reading the topics on here versus other places we are by far the most negative board for any large city, but have (or near) the most to be proud of. I'd swear you are trying to enlighten people that Omaha is a trashy place with little hope.

What's wrong with you people?

Last edited by Omahahonors; 10-20-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM

380 posts, read 1,000,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Why? What are you trying to accomplish? We know the city isn't perfect, but why is it your mission to try to hurt the image of the city as much as possible? Statistically we are one of the better cities for crime, education, labor force, growth, jobs, standard of living, entertainment etc. So why are you putting up individual negative news stories and diluting the board with them? Why don't you put up things about this place that make you proud?

By reading the topics on here versus other places we are by far the most negative board for any large city, but have (or near) the most to be proud of. I'd swear you are trying to enlighten people that Omaha is a trashy place with little hope.

What's wrong with you people?

Well........I guess sometimes the truth hurts? I'm sorry. I can't sit here and say that Omaha is such a wonderful place to live. Crime is out of control. Kids are bringing guns to middle school, pizza delivery men are getting robbed and killed and house invasions happen all to often. Taxes are get worse and worse. 90% of the year the weather is unbearable and the roads are JUNK.

Now that is not saying there isn't and good in Omaha. We have TONS of places to shop, eat, mingle and drink at. Some awesome school districts and a little of something for everyone. Me personally, I can't take it here much longer. I have two small children not in school yet and I have made it my personal mission to be moved and settled in a different place before they start school. You gotta remember that people will always come to threads to whine and complain more than to compliment. Just the way it is!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
Well........I guess sometimes the truth hurts? I'm sorry. I can't sit here and say that Omaha is such a wonderful place to live. Crime is out of control. Kids are bringing guns to middle school, pizza delivery men are getting robbed and killed and house invasions happen all to often. Taxes are get worse and worse. 90% of the year the weather is unbearable and the roads are JUNK.

Now that is not saying there isn't and good in Omaha. We have TONS of places to shop, eat, mingle and drink at. Some awesome school districts and a little of something for everyone. Me personally, I can't take it here much longer. I have two small children not in school yet and I have made it my personal mission to be moved and settled in a different place before they start school. You gotta remember that people will always come to threads to whine and complain more than to compliment. Just the way it is!
You are full of it. Omaha's crime rate is low comared to most large cities. And nobody is making it into a perfect little mayberry situation either.
You though are trying to making it look like Detroit which is painting the wrong image.

You have no idea of what you are talking about. Truth hurts? You mean the truth that the city has a lower crime rate than most mid to large sized cities? Why would I feel bad for the fact that we are doing so well in that regard?

Weather is bad 90% of the time? So we are below 30 or above 95 except for 30 days of the year? Bull#$%#.. We are much milder in the summer with very few too hot days as compared to in the south or the deserts and our winters are comfortable with the exception of maybe 2 to 8 weeks a year.. Our comfortability zone is much better than many in the south during the course of an entire year..

You need to do a better job of educating yourself, because right now you are not looking so intelligent.

Last edited by Omahahonors; 10-20-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 03:24 PM

817 posts, read 1,770,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post

You are aware that overall crime has been trending down over the last 30 years right? Taxes are LOW compare to many cities around the size of Omaha and the weather is normally quite nice (I am a commuter cyclist so I should know).

Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM

76 posts, read 142,524 times
Just like with everything else, the media outlet (in this case the forum) is inundated with the negative over the positive. That's just the way things are. News, newspapers, radio...whatever. People like to complain, whether someone is listening or not. There's plenty good in Omaha, you just don't hear as much about it.....unfortunately.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:07 PM

906 posts, read 1,811,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
You though are trying to making it look like Detroit which is painting the wrong image.
Unfortunately, Omaha has far too much in common with Detroit, and actually makes Detroit look good in a number of areas.

Some points in common:

1. An un-waivering dependence on the automobile.
2. White flight and neglect of the urban core.
3. Layers upon layers of suburbs.
4. Racial segregation.
5. Public transportation only good enough for the need-based society.
6. A thriving trolley car system that was dismantled decades ago.
7. Empty warehouses downtown.
8. Centers of vitality that were plowed over for parking lots.
9. Horrible weather 90% of the year.
10. Polluted air from car exhaust and cigarette smoke.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Unfortunately, Omaha has far too much in common with Detroit, and actually makes Detroit look good in a number of areas.

Some points in common:

4. Racial segregation.
There are a few empty warehouses that are being converted into apartments/condos

Racial segregation is not worse than any other city. If you saw the recent graphs with points where people of certain races live, Omaha actually does better with integration than most.

Whiteflight is a myth and Omaha's downtown core is buzzing with new development. Our downtown population has grown 5x in the last 10 years, 4 buldings with at least 12 stories built within the last 10 years. Qwest center, ballpark, 4 fortune 500 headquarters in downtown, Holland performing arts center, proposed 32 story downtown tower, top 10 worlds most urban-revitalizing projects in midtown crossing being completed just recently ==== Quite the opposite of bad urban core, your argument is weak

Polluted air from cars and cigarettes? Are you 12? No different than any other city

Unwaivering dependance on vehicles? Okay, you got one here.. Besides NYC and a few others, what city doesn't? And we are moving towards streetcars.

Surburbs, of course! Omaha is a fast growing city.

#8? Where is that

Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
Omaha is a great city. I live in the absolute boonies so I come to Omaha about once a month for a few days to get my City Fix. I always feel pretty safe. The recent incident of the pizza guy was tragic but probably would go unnoticed in another city. There's no other city I would consider living in.

And even with all my good lake front fresh air at home I've never noticed any pollution....from smoking?? My Gawd!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Omaha is a great city. I live in the absolute boonies so I come to Omaha about once a month for a few days to get my City Fix. I always feel pretty safe. The recent incident of the pizza guy was tragic but probably would go unnoticed in another city. There's no other city I would consider living in.

And even with all my good lake front fresh air at home I've never noticed any pollution....from smoking?? My Gawd!
Yeah, cigarette pollution is an epidemic here! LOL

Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 PM

817 posts, read 1,770,369 times
Quote:
That is common to any city in the us, therefor it applies to none.

Quote:
While that was true for a while that started to change nearly 10 years ago. Downtown has again started to grow and people are moving east again into the old city.

Quote:
Again, this is common to American cities so you could try to apply it to almost any major city.

Quote:
4. Racial segregation.
Every city is racialy segregated. Even New york has it's districs that are primarily one race or ethnicity, and that is a good thing. I myself long for a day when Omaha can regain it's little Italy and other such neighborhoods again.

Quote:
Not sure what you are trying to say here. Overall Omahas bus system is good. most of the eastern half of the city has a bus route within walking distance. The west simply does not need that dense of a system because most people out there use automobiles.

Quote:
True, but again many cities across the us gave up their trolley systems because of the love affair with the automobile! Very few kept their systems much past the 1950's, it has only been in the last few years that cities have begun to see the mistake in closing down the trolleys and have started replacing them. Even omaha will regain it's system in the next 10 years.

Quote:
Not so many anymore. Downtown is alive again and space is at a premium. The few remaining empty buildings will likely be repurposed as lofts and help grow the urban core even faster.

Quote:
Care to state examples? Only examples I can think of where old abandoned structures that were an eyesore that today are providing jobs as walmarts and other such businesses!

Quote:
90%, Really? So 328 days of the year are bad? I hate to break it to you, but that number you gave is actually closer to the number of nice days Omaha has.

Quote:
Not that this is really a problem in Omaha, but in most major cities this is at least a minor problem. Omaha, unlike other major cities (like Denver or L.A.) has geography to thank for helping clear the problem. pollution simply cant build up here as it simply blows away.

It is clear you HATE Omaha, so why even post on these forums! Omaha has a lot to offer and is statistically a safe and clean city with few major problems. Not everything is perfect and it would be great to see some improvments (like more bike lanes!!!) but the city is trying and will get there in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: