Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 12:49 AM

50 posts, read 97,592 times

Advertisements

I've posted before regarding my move from Japan and I've been looking at lots and lots of locations.

My job is mainly new business development and account management in the the SoCal area and everywhere on the west coast, etc. We also work remotely, so I don't need to be in any particular location. Our head office is in San Francisco.

I'm wondering since I don't need to commute to the office every day but will frequently be visiting clients who are located everywhere, is there any location you would suggest? I've looked at Irvine, Mission Viejo, Chino Hills, even Temecula.

I'd be open to any thoughts or advice.

Grovemonkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Laguna Beach if you are wealthy.

Silverado Canyon if you are average.

Thise woudl be my personal choices. BUt it depends on how old you are. Married? Kids? Interests? Preferences? Straight/gay? Hobbies? Where do you live now and what do you like about it and dislike about it.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:50 AM

Married, 37, 2 kids. I'm not wealthy, probably SoCal middle class. Over 100K a year.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:34 AM

370 posts, read 999,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovemonkey View Post
Married, 37, 2 kids. I'm not wealthy, probably SoCal middle class. Over 100K a year.
That aint a lot of $ for O.C.
Unless you don't mind living check to check

If you aren't set on being near the ocean, then inland
is much more affordable, but very mediocre, no real attractions

In your situation, I'd go to North San Diego Count myself
if you want to stay in South California

Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:

Renting or buying? What is your budget?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
That aint a lot of $ for O.C.
Unless you don't mind living check to check

If you aren't set on being near the ocean, then inland
is much more affordable, but very mediocre, no real attractions

In your situation, I'd go to North San Diego Count myself
if you want to stay in South California
We are not interested in being by the ocean. Our budget for a rental apartment (first 12-24 months) is a maximum of 2.8 ~3.0K a month. Our base income is a little over 100k but our actual is much higher. That said, I try not to base my rental capacity on income that is not guaranteed.

As for mediocrity, I've lived in middle of Tokyo for over 14 years so I'm looking forward to few years of mediocrity. I'm not sure if anywhere in O.C. could top the shopping, entertainment and lifestyle of Tokyo, anyway.

That said, I've been considering North San Diego, even Temecula/Murrieta.

Not sure about doing business development from North San Diego, going into LA, O.C., etc.

I figure if you only have to drive into those areas 2 times a week and the hours are flexible, why live in O.C.?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
It's difficult to say without any more information.

If you won't be flying much but will be visiting clients all over So. Cal, then live in a very centrally located part of the region.

Try these cities: Cerritos, La Palma, La Mirada, Whittier.

You'll want to live close to freeways, and these cities put you near I-5, I-605, CA-90 and possibly CA-60.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,498,517 times
Quote:
I've posted before regarding my move from Japan and I've been looking at lots and lots of locations.

My job is mainly new business development and account management in the the SoCal area and everywhere on the west coast, etc. We also work remotely, so I don't need to be in any particular location. Our head office is in San Francisco.

I'm wondering since I don't need to commute to the office every day but will frequently be visiting clients who are located everywhere, is there any location you would suggest? I've looked at Irvine, Mission Viejo, Chino Hills, even Temecula.

I'd be open to any thoughts or advice.

Grovemonkey

Move to Irvine.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Jacobs, thanks for the thought. Care to share more on why?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Irvine, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Cota De Caza, Tustin, . . . All typical south county Cities that are very much the same. Decent to very good schools, low crime, thousand of pleasant matching houses on identical lots with deintical cars, etc. It is bland (Make that "B"land), but is it clean nice pleasant and un-challenging.

If you want things a little more interesting, you can go to central or north OC cities (Santa Ana, Orange, Fullerton, Anaheim, etc), or to the expensive beach cities (which you already said that you do nto want to pay for. in Central/North OC schools are not as good, crime is a bit more prevalent, classes and types are more mixed. It is less mind numbing conformity, but more challenges and risks.

Many areas are similar. Most people who like Irvine will also like Mission Viejo, Aliso Veijo, etcetera. Most people who like Santa Ana will also like Orange, Anaheim, Fullerton, etc. There are also some unusual places like Silverado Canyon, Orange Park Acrea, Anaheim Hills, old town Orange, that do not fit into any generalized description.

You can live a very pleasant life almost anywhere in OC. It just depends on your preferences. I hope that you are in the high 100,000s for your base pay, or that you have some savings that you can draw from.

If you go to San Diego a lot look at San Clemente. It is a beach town, but a very nice quiet place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County