Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 45,994 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Canada to Orange Country, and I have a valid Canadian Driver license for almost 8 years. I wonder whether I need to take a road test to get a California driver license or just a written test is sufficient. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
The answer is either neither or both. If you don't plan on becoming a Californian resident, neither - your Canadian license works fine. If you plan on becoming a resident, both a written test and a road test are required.

Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM

68 posts, read 192,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh18 View Post
I am moving from Canada to Orange Country, and I have a valid Canadian Driver license for almost 8 years. I wonder whether I need to take a road test to get a California driver license or just a written test is sufficient. Thanks.
We moved from Calgary to Orange County and unfortunately you have to do both the written and the road test.

Once you become a resident you have 10 days to get a California license according to the DMV. You will first have to take a written test. You don't need an appointment for this, just show up take the test. If you pass they will give you a temporary permit then you have to make an appointment to take the road test.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 45,994 times
Thanks HaveFun!

One more question: I will bring a new car that we purchased last May. I have paid 13% sales tax already. Will I also be asked to pay sales tax to register the car in OC?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
As the previous poster said, you will need to do both a written and road test if you plan on registering your vehicle in California.

You should also plan on getting insurance as soon as you move down as your current insurance company most likely will not cover any expenses due to a claim outside the required registration timeframe to the State/Province you moved to. In this case, California requires you to register within 10 days (could be 20 now .. should double check).

The DMV site is pretty clear on the taxes you will need to pay when bringing your car into the state of California:

Use Tax: Collected at the same rate as your California city of residence sales tax. Legislation requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date.
California DMV HTVR9 How To Register A Out of State Vehicle Nonresident Vehicle

So unless you can somehow hold off registering your car until 365 days after you purchased it, you'll have to pay the additional tax. One thing you may want to look into is talking to a tax advisor and see if you can deduct these types of expenses as moving expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County