Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you want a semi-urban, hip environment I would suggest Laguna Beach.

Costa Mesa may work for you too and takes about 15 minutes on the 73.
Laguna Beach on 40K? 73 Tolls from Costa Mesa, plus gasoline prices, would eat a big hole out of his wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,110 times
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
It might be best to try to get a job in one of those areas.
A good point. Except that in this economy beggars can't be choosers and the job I got in AV is actually a great opportunity (despite the modest beginning salary).

As people have mentioned: it's just a new type of lifestyle to get used to. Having lived in Dallas before, I'm no stranger to driving everywhere.

I will keep my options open and look at beach studios and 1 bedrooms in Santa Ana, Anaheim, and even Aliso Viejo. Why not.

Thanks again.

-Jingjo

Old 03-20-2011, 04:36 PM

AV is only ten years old, so everyone (adult) here has moved from elsewhere. I have neighbors from all over the globe. I moved to AV from Manhattan and yes, there is an adjustment, but you aren’t confined to the city, and Laguna Beach is adjacent to Aliso.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:58 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Laguna Beach on 40K? 73 Tolls from Costa Mesa, plus gasoline prices, would eat a big hole out of his wallet.
Roommate or renting a room. its doable.

the 405 from Costa Mesa isn't too bad.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:22 PM

Relax, and walk around Town Center to get a more realistic feel for AV (whether you decide to live here, or not) and don’t let the “beige boxes” fool you. If you are at all into outdoor activities, you’ ll find a lot to do in Aliso and Wood Canyons, Laguna Beach, Dana Point and San Clemente.
One reason why the freeways are so crowded, is that people in OC are constantly taking advantage of nearby entertainment activities in other cities. There will be more entertainment available in AV in the future once the performing arts center at Soka University opens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBk3x9PSFmE

The Neighborhood Cup (Coffee House)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee4sj4yJ7_A

This thread will provide you with some info about Aliso:
Making the move from UK to Aliso Viejo

Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM

394 posts, read 967,129 times
Live near where you work. It makes the most sense since the majority of the time you will be working or going to and/or from work. Save your gas money for weekend trips to Laguna, Newport, LA, Long Beach, etc.

Plus, the girlies will feel better about you if you have a nice place in AV vs. a dumpy place in a more trendy part of SoCal. And you will have more money for dinners and dates!

WIN - WIN

Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Default I lived in AV

Nothing wrong with living in AV! Gads! You'd have a five minute commute to work and you'd save a lot of gas money, more to have fun with on the weekends!
My husband and I had an apartment there when we newlyweds and it was great... all the daily conveniences, movie theater, book store... yeah it's a hyper developed "chain" typle suburb, but we found the folks there to be very friendly.
We live in Mission Viejo now which is also considered "bland", but we do a variety of fun things that make our life quite tasty!

Besides if you're renting, you can always decide to move later after you've explored the different areas and get to know our lovely traffic!

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
definitely rent first for at least 6 months and do some heavy exploring. You will soon see the difference between nice areas and the ghetto

Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Maybe you will like beach towns?

San Juan Capistrano or San Clemente?

I think on that salary you are really looking at roomates...like $800 max a month.

Something like this:

Room for Rent - No Utilities - Own Bathroom - Walk to Beach (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/roo/2278293854.html - broken link)

Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Aliso Viejo is very compact, but dynamic, and it gained cityhood in 2001. Its population increased by about 20% from 2000-2010 (I think that's plenty and hope it doesn't grow any more). It's time to pull-up the drawbridge over the moat.

in terms of drive and ambition, it’s safe to say that these two coffee shop owners are fairly “representative" of the young professionals and entrepreneurs who have moved to AV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT1JwrWYozM

Last edited by pacific2; 03-21-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County