Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,089 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So it looks like I'm moving to the OC for a new jorb. From my constant searching on realtor.com, I've noticed that there are some decent (2-3BR) townhomes available at various communities near my work in Costa Mesa.

After living in apartments for the past couple of years, I've concluded that statistically speaking, anyone living next to, above, or below me, is an a hole. I'm sick of apartment living and noise from other people.

To get away, I could rent a detached home. However, I know that may not be the best idea since the leasing can get wonky and I'd have to handle things like yard work.

That brings me back to townhomes. The plan is to get an end unit and reduce the common walls to one side. After that, all I can do is hope the place is well constructed.

My questions:
-Anyone care to name names of good, pet-friendly townhome communities within a 7 mile radius of Costa Mesa?
-In your experience, have the townhomes you've seen/lived in been well constructed, as in, blocked noise from neighbors/outdoors, effectively?
-If you had $2,000-$2,500 a month to spend on rent, what would you spend it on? Apt/Townhome/Detached?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM

394 posts, read 969,063 times
Ideally, you would want a detached SFR - and you can find them for $2,500 per month in some parts of OC. But, like you said, yardwork would probably be part of the equation. In parts of Costa Mesa, all along Orange Ave, Santa Ana ave and Elden St there are several groupings of single unit houses that sit on one large lot and share a common driveway. These can be pretty affordable and relatively private. But, I would suggest seeing them before renting them. Most are getting kind of old.
One suggestion would be to rent an apartment or a room at an Extended Stay hotel while you look for that perfect rental property. You may even be able to write the hotel charges off on your taxes (ask your tax advisor).
That being said, there are many condo-style rentals available in Costa Mesa and Newport. You just have to look for them. And if the building is relatively new, you will probably have better sound isolation. Still it's a crap-shoot if you don't know your neighbors...
Good Luck!

Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM

768 posts, read 4,348,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
In parts of Costa Mesa, all along Orange Ave, Santa Ana ave and Elden St there are several groupings of single unit houses that sit on one large lot and share a common driveway. These can be pretty affordable and relatively private. But, I would suggest seeing them before renting them. Most are getting kind of old.
+1 on that info... however there are still a lot of them built in the last 10-15 years that are in very good condition. There are the older developments, primarily found along Elden, but along Orange & Santa Ana I find they tend to be newer.

7 mile radius from Costa Mesa is pretty encompassing though - that goes into Irvine, NB, Fountain Valley, HB even, and Santa Ana. Out of those areas Irvine is the king of the type of townhome you are looking for, but with Irvine along comes a high probability your neighbors will have kids/won't be peace & quiet.

One way to find those types of places is look for them to rent & buy, and then if one is for sale drive the neighborhood to see if there any private rentals (as opposed to being listed on the MLS) with signs.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,041,427 times
You can get a luxury level rental townhouse the Newport Bluffs for about $2500. It's like living at a resort. I lived there a few years ago an loved it. Just make sure you get a townhouse of Rivoli. The regular apartments suck.

I am currently in a two bedroom town house in Huntington Harbour and we are paying 1550. Nice quite community. with plenty of nearby amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County