Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,051,314 times

Advertisements

Yorba linda is a snotty city with snob people. Parents furishing alcohol to minors is illegal & they will go to jail & be fined if reported.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Yorba linda is a snotty city with snob people. Parents furishing alcohol to minors is illegal & they will go to jail & be fined if reported.
Doubtful. The cops would need to witness it and thankfully they're very hesitant to enter someone's private home (particularly in an affluent area where a man's home really is his castle) if adults are present and there's no visible probable cause for them to do so. They'd have to get a warrant which is more trouble than they'd want to go through for such a petty crime as underage drinking.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,045,037 times
Hahah oh brother you wonder why American kids are such losers nowadays and we have so many pot heads and alcoholics in our society. Kids, especially teenagers have a hell of a lot more important things to be doing than drinking. And parents have more important things they can be teaching their kids than sitting around how to do shots and playing beer pong. LOL........American parents are idiots nowadays. And nowhere is this more apparent than in the OC. The kids out here are so clueless............most have no discipline, no work ethic and have everything handed to them. I grew up in the midwest from a middle class family and I had more important things to do than sit around on friday and saturday nights partying as a teenager..............I WORKED! I mean look at the replies in this thread. Haha..........it's hilarious..........Yeah kids drink, kids have sex.......but they have their WHOLE lives ahead of them to do all that stuff and make crappy decisions because of both..........doesn't mean parents should give into and feed those desires. American parents need to relearn how to be parents and quit trying to be the cool friend to their kids.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
Ornge County has something like 3 million people. Of course there are some lousy parents amongst them. That should not be a surprise.

If you are asking whether all OC parents do this, the answer is no. You will not find anythng that ALL OC parents do except pay breathe eat go to the bathroom and die.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,895,533 times
I grew up in a less affluent section of OC, but definitely middle class, and this sort of thing did happen from time to time, but I doubt very much that it was the norm. And it was definitely only when I was a bit older. I recall backyard parties at which the kids would bring our own booze, and the parents/other adults would stay in the house. I doubt they were so clueless as to not notice, but they weren't directly providing the alcohol. I can say that as a parent, I won't be hosting such parties when my kid are teenagers, though I will certainly serve my own children small amounts of wine or beer with a meal, as this is a crucial part of understanding alcohol before they decide it is something designed only for drunkenness.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 AM

105 posts, read 306,714 times
There is always that one friends parents who do that, but I find it hard to beleive that's the majority. Though maybe it's different in OC vs. LA (where I spent my teens). I could see allowing your own 14-15 year old to have 1 drink on special occasions, but not open bar and not other peoples kids. I agree that 21 is to old to set the drinking age, but 14 is too young. It should be 18 IMO.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 AM

860 posts, read 2,719,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Does this "concern" perhaps also have something to do with Ex-husband and his new wife living the life in "affluent" CA while you're stuck in AZ?
What a peach you are!
I love Arizona.My husband and I love where we live, everyone is doing pretty well in terms of lifestyle. I also love my children and am heart sick over this. The wife is not new, she is old its been 14 years. They do not pay child support, so that's the rub of my caustic presentation of their lifestyle if you must know. I send the girls anyhow because I want to do the right thing.

I am concerned that the implication to my girls that the kids in CA are way cooler and that's why they drink. They don't buy it, but its not a great message.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Underage drinking for sure happened where myself and my ex husband grew up, but it was either provided by sort of rough around the edges parents, or when the folks were out of town, or kids sneaking into the alcohol.

I am not attempting to group all OC people into one category, I am only bringing up the California thing because that is THEIR excuse for bad behavior. They made it the reason, not me.

I am also worried that a party could be crashed and my girls could get hauled to the juvi center just for being present. They don't deserve this. Not sure if Yorba Linda police are likely to target such a party, but if the girl who barfed called mommy who did not approve....anything can happen when you go illegal. The police were called to the home over the 4th because Auntie likes to get loaded and set off fireworks every year while everyone watches. And this year she was caught.

These people are not FROM Yorba Linda, which I hear is snotty, they are from Anneheim and I wonder if having big parties is a way to impress friends of their daughters' so that she will be more popular.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
There is always that one friends parents who do that, but I find it hard to beleive that's the majority. Though maybe it's different in OC vs. LA (where I spent my teens). I could see allowing your own 14-15 year old to have 1 drink on special occasions, but not open bar and not other peoples kids. I agree that 21 is to old to set the drinking age, but 14 is too young. It should be 18 IMO.
I am more of this mentality

Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,860,593 times
When I was 14 (in Irvine) my mom would often host parties for my brother's friends (they were all older like 17, 18, 19). She'd always take away car keys and make sure everyone spent the night and didn't drive anywhere. However, I was 14 and I was allowed to drink, too. And I think more than a safety issue, my mom just thought she was still a teenager, too, and wanted to party with us. This was 20 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal (contributing to the delinquency of a minor, I think).

Now that I'm a parent, I'd be pissed if someone else was giving my kids drinks without my permission.

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County