Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Ummm...didn't you have control of your energy usage BEFORE the SmartMeter was installed and you got emails and data telling you how much energy you used? Donn sounds like a SCE board member.

People, YOU are in control of most everything you ever do - ignore these "empowerment" propagandists. You have a brain - use it - and you will be informed and "empowered".

Glad to know their is an opt-out list. Unfortunately, I already have the SmartMeter - i am going to try to get it replaced with the analog meter.
Keep your smart meter, they won't change it out, so learn to love it..!
...and it's much easier to control your electrical usage when you know your useage by the minute. You talk a good story, but it's obvious you are clueless.
but if you so desire, you may return to the dark ages with the rest of those who think every new thing is evil...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sks447 View Post
I think what everybody is missing is that Smart Meters are bad because the bill YOU pay can fluctuate at the power companies will. I mean it does already, but now when it is 110 outside and your air is on you will pay more.

Your power company will just look at the higher usage in your area and say "well now your bill is doubled for these hours because it is hot outside". You have no choice but to turn the air off, turn it up higher than it already is or just spend more money to line their pockets. I keep my A/C at 84 now and it is still high due to price hikes. Wait til your rates are unknown and change minute to minute.

And who cares if you can see your usage in "real time"? That has been possible since day one of normal meters! See the meter spinning fast? You are using more power! Even if you can view usage on your laptop who cares? What are you going to do about it? Turn off your A/C or your hairdryer since you can calculate the exact amount you just spent? How stupid of a selling point!
BS...! I live in the desert where it it typically over 100 degrees every day during the summer. My home is over 4000 sq ft, with two A/C systems, a slew of big screens, a couple of refrigerators, two computers, every kind of energy sucker you could wish for.
For the last six months, which covers those hot months, my electric bill has never approached $100. a month. Love that smart meter
To say they watch you and jack up your rates if you use a lot of power is someone with no knowledge passing on stupid rumors...
Learn facts before you come on here and look foolish...
Every home in America will soon have smart meters, and people will leaqrn they are safe, and are valuable.
For the fruit loop that says I must work for SCE, sorry, I'm a retired Automotive tech.
Here is a copy from my online banking statement for the last few months. Read it and weep...!
+++++++
$71.36
e-Bill Initiated Payment 11/01/2011 Processed View Payment
Hide Related e-Bill Show Related e-Bill
This payment was applied to the e-Bill due on 11/10/2011. View e-Bill Details

$95.58
e-Bill Initiated Payment 10/03/2011 Processed View Payment
This payment was applied to the e-Bill due on 10/12/2011. View e-Bill Details

$60.48
e-Bill Initiated Payment 09/01/2011 Processed View Payment
This payment was applied to the e-Bill due on 09/08/2011. View e-Bill Details

$20.54
e-Bill Initiated Payment 08/01/2011 Processed View Payment
This payment was applied to the e-Bill due on 08/10/2011. View e-Bill Details

$42.98
e-Bill Initiated Payment 07/01/2011 Processed View Payment
Hide Related e-Bill Show Related
The two low bills was during vacation and I was gone a few weeks...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
BS...! I live in the desert where it it typically over 100 degrees every day during the summer. My home is over 4000 sq ft, with two A/C systems, a slew of big screens, a couple of refrigerators, two computers, every kind of energy sucker you could wish for.
For the last six months, which covers those hot months, my electric bill has never approached $100. a month.
I don't see how that's possible unless you're on some kind of discount program. I live in a small apartment, have one 42" LCD TV (don't even use that much), one refrigerator, one computer that's on 24/7 and another that's on maybe 3 hours a day, compact florescent lights everywhere but the bathrooms, and an electric water heater. Without touching the AC, my bills are $80+. With AC, it can easily hit $130+.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimehousehunter View Post
They are basically sending radioactive waves every 15 minutes to their local office. There have been reports of people getting sick from these waves and it is still too new to determine the long-term impact to the health of people, animals and plantlife. For my family, I am saying thanks, but no thanks. I’m perfectly fine with the way the system works right now. If there is even a small risk to the health of me or my family, it doesn’t matter what benefits they try to sell me on.
I'm ready!

If you think a smart meter is bad for your health, I hope you don't have a cell phone, any WIFI or bluetooth devices, a car, any RFID devides or a microwave just to name a few. And don't even think about traveling in an electric car, bus or train. Do we even need to discuss airplane travel? A horse is your best bet. Come to think of it the computer you're looking at right now is generating a far stronger EMF than a smart meter could ever hope for.

Turn it off!
Turn it off NOW!

Last edited by evergraystate; 12-15-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Yes, there is more to Donn's bills that is not being disclosed. Donn this is not an anti-technology rant - I am an electronics technician - I am well aware of the variety of technology coming out al the time and their benefits - I understand the physics of EM radiation better then many people. You are not seeing(or are being deliberately blind if you work for SCE) the privacy and safety issues here, and how the SmartMeter's forced installation is an egregious violation of private property rights. The meters if they are so beneficial should have been phased in with users able to choose if they wanted a test model. After a trial period of two years, an advertising campaign, and a general consensus that the devices are safe - most persons fears will have been allayed. Instead they were hastily installed while residents were away from home - with the results you see now.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:53 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
How do these smart meters communicate with the mothership? Do they have radio transmitters or are they putting a signal on the power lines?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Low power transmitters in the meters feeding collector transmitters out in the neighborhoods.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Yes, there is more to Donn's bills that is not being disclosed.
I agree. I live in a very hot area, and I'd LOVE to have Summer power bills like he has. I seldom use my AC before 3pm, except on the 110 to 115 degree days, and my bills are way more than his.

Quote:
Instead they were hastily installed while residents were away from home - with the results you see now.
Not here. They contacted me at least 2 months before installation to work out an install appointment.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How do these smart meters communicate with the mothership? Do they have radio transmitters or are they putting a signal on the power lines?
It uses the existing cellular data network. Same thing as your phone. If your smart meter is out of range of a cell tower, it will send the encrypted data to your nearest neighbor's meter which will relay it on to the next meter until it finds a cell tower. Thats why the utilities don't like it when some genius decides he doesn't want a smart meter. It screws it up for everybody else.

Last edited by evergraystate; 12-15-2011 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County