Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 AM

12 posts, read 38,953 times

Advertisements

My spouse will be transferring from a C_ J_ restaurant in the IE to continue working as a server / waiter at a C_ J_ in OC. Our one little 17-year-old car that we have will not last for that length of a commute, so we will have to move to OC.

All we want is a $900-$1,200 1bd, 1bath apartment in one of the decent OC apartment complexes we have chosen. That’s it.

We will be denied via the initial application process due to bad credit and an income that is under the required ‘3 times the rent’

There is no one we personally know, who is eligible to co-sign for us, and beware – a lot of lease co-signing agencies are rip-off scams. The legit ones, unaffordable.

What we do have is a solid 15-year rental history: no evictions, no broken leases, rent on time every month for 15 consecutive years.

My spouse’s current proof of employment ensures adequate income to cover monthly rental costs.

And if good appearances count, we are your ideal clean-cut ‘n quiet neighbors: non-smoking, no kids, no pets, no TV, no stereo, no game systems. Just lots of books and of course the internet.

Our high credit score was sunk 2-years ago when my spouse’s great job offer in the IE wine country fell through during our move down here. We opted to forgo making our credit card payments for the sake of keeping our rented roof over our heads. 2-years later and we still can neither pay our debts nor afford to file bankruptcy. Hence, a low income, but hey, we always made and make the rent

With recent confirmation that my spouse would definitely be making much better money in OC, and that I’d most likely be able to get a job up there too, we’re ready to get stabilized. Bureaucratic red tape, however, is preventing that. How do we go about cutting through it and getting into one of the affordable plus decent OC apartment complexes we have chosen?

Has anybody had any luck going above the apartment complex management's heads to personally discuss matters of rental approval with one of the ‘higher-ups’?

Last edited by Sleepless from Seattle; 01-15-2012 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless from Seattle View Post
My spouse will be transferring from a C_ J_ restaurant in the IE to continue working as a server / waiter at a C_ J_ in OC. Our one little 17-year-old car that we have will not last for that length of a commute, so we will have to move to OC.

All we want is a $900-$1,200 1bd, 1bath apartment in one of the decent OC apartment complexes we have chosen. That’s it.

We will be denied via the initial application process due to bad credit and an income that is under the required ‘3 times the rent’

There is no one we personally know, who is eligible to co-sign for us, and beware – a lot of lease co-signing agencies are rip-off scams. The legit ones, unaffordable.

What we do have is a solid 15-year rental history: no evictions, no broken leases, rent on time every month for 15 consecutive years.

My spouse’s current proof of employment ensures adequate income to cover monthly rental costs.

And if good appearances count, we are your ideal clean-cut ‘n quiet neighbors: non-smoking, no kids, no pets, no TV, no stereo, no game systems. Just lots of books and of course the internet.

Our high credit score was sunk 2-years ago when my spouse’s great job offer in the IE wine country fell through during our move down here. We opted to forgo making our credit card payments for the sake of keeping our rented roof over our heads. 2-years later and we still can neither pay our debts nor afford to file bankruptcy. Hence, a low income, but hey, we always made and make the rent

With recent confirmation that my spouse would definitely be making much better money in OC, and that I’d most likely be able to get a job up there too, we’re ready to get stabilized. Bureaucratic red tape, however, is preventing that. How do we go about cutting through it and getting into one of the affordable plus decent OC apartment complexes we have chosen?

Has anybody had any luck going above the apartment complex management's heads to personally discuss matters of rental approval with one of the ‘higher-ups’?

if I understand your situation...you will be earning enuf to cover the rent..but you still have unpaid credit card debt??

and you expect someone to overlook the fact that maybe now you can pay the rent..but if one or both of you loses your relatively low paying job in OC standards,,you might THEN have difficulty paying the rent??

sorry..won't likely happen...we are landlords..and no begging and pleading would overcome the facts..

plus you repeatedly state the apt must be of YOUR choosing..and btw..your price point is on the low side..

good luck tho...

Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless from Seattle View Post
I see this as the biggest problem. Spending more than 1/3 of your income on housing puts you too close to not making the rent for most landlord's comfort.

And why do you keep emphasizing complexes "we have chosen"? As the old saying goes, beggars can't be choosers. You'll probably have better luck finding a small landlord to overlook these issues (maybe for a sizable deposit) than a big corporate landlord who is bound by rules drawn up by the home office in Dallas or New York.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 PM

12 posts, read 38,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You'll probably have better luck finding a small landlord to overlook these issues (maybe for a sizable deposit) than a big corporate landlord who is bound by rules drawn up by the home office in Dallas or New York.
We managed to find one small but seemingly decent apartment complex that appeared to not be owned by a big corporate landlord. Current apartment availability was nada. I do understand that Orange County, SoCal is one of the most desired places to live in the U.S., therefore, there's a lot of 'separating the wheat from the shaft' that needs to be done by OC landlords.

The California Fair Housing Act makes sorting the deluge of rental applications easier for OC apartment complex managers. I was told it includes the good credit and ample income requirements to prevent discrimination and discriminatory lawsuits.

Example: If the prospective tenants are 'gnarly' looking people, the apartment complex managers will have a tough time denying them if they meet the above stated requirements with a crime-free background check. Especially if these tenant hopefuls applied with knowledge that there were currently available apartments for rent.

Before such bureaucracy, this is where money used to talk in the United States of America for We The People, clean-cut and gnarly alike. You could make a full lease payment offer and the apartment property manager would arrange for you to meet with the landlord, who would ultimately decide. Not anymore, though. Turns out that even if my spouse and I offered to pay the lease up-front in full plus double, even triple on the deposit, we'd still be denied automatically. The apartment complex gatekeepers...er...managers I've asked have answered with a flat-out "NO" as decided by the computer entity...er...initial application process, which fully abides by the California Fair Housing Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And why do you keep emphasizing complexes "we have chosen"? As the old saying goes, beggars can't be choosers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
..plus you repeatedly state the apt must be of YOUR choosing..and btw..your price point is on the low side..
These are apartment complexes that we have chosen based on the fact that they are not only within our price point but very decent. As in compatible with our quiet nature and without the faintest scent of dog doo. Upon speaking to some current tenants, when you turn the water faucet on to hot, hot water actually pours out

Even if we do qualify for those low-income 'section 8' rentals in OC, NO THANK YOU! Seen them, smelled them. They are are deplorable.

Quote:
if I understand your situation...you will be earning enuf to cover the rent..but you still have unpaid credit card debt??

and you expect someone to overlook the fact that maybe now you can pay the rent..but if one or both of you loses your relatively low paying job in OC standards,,you might THEN have difficulty paying the rent??
Worried family members want to help us out. They are ineligible as a co-signers, but are willing to pool together enough money for us to just pay up-front the entire lease plus the increased deposit. My ego is embarrassed by this, however, bolstering our solid 15-year rental history with these loans should suffice as far as tenant 'worthiness' goes IF that's what it comes to. This is why I asked if anybody had any luck going above the apartment complex management's heads to personally [and I emphasize personally] discuss matters of rental approval with one of the ‘higher-ups’. Any human capitalists in the higher-ups?

Quote:
sorry..won't likely happen...we are landlords..and no begging and pleading would overcome the facts..

Thank you. I guess it's back to reality / Seattle for us then, eh?

Last edited by Sleepless from Seattle; 01-15-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,710 times
Regardless of what you look like. It is the FICO. Score that talks.

Sorry.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM

371 posts, read 816,379 times
The only suggestion I can make is to rent an apartment in an owner occupied place, like a duplex, or a garage apartment or "mother in law" apartment. I think those types of landlords are going more on character and appearances, and are more likely to listen to your story if you can explain your credit history.

I have rented many places in OC, and I tend to avoid the big complexes or major landlords like the Irvine Company. I've rented in several places where the owner lived in the front house, and I have lived in the back.

My experience with those types of landlords is that they are focused on finding a quiet and friendly tennant, and might take a flyer on a tennant with a shakey credit history, if the tennant seems like someone they would want to share their space with. Also, because they see you everyday and have a relationship with you (unlike a remote landlord, or corporation), I think they are less worried about you skipping out on the rent.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
The only suggestion I can make is to rent an apartment in an owner occupied place, like a duplex, or a garage apartment or "mother in law" apartment. I think those types of landlords are going more on character and appearances, and are more likely to listen to your story if you can explain your credit history.
I second this... hubby and I temporarily rented a small room in the back of someone's garage for a short while. It was very basic but cozy.
Maybe someone will rent you a room? Anything just to get you started?
You could maybe save some money while getting your credit in order.
Sounds like you'd have to be very determined and make some sacrifices, but it could be done just to get back on your feet.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM

244 posts, read 333,279 times
I've spoken to few apartment complex property consultants and know that rental approval comes in Accepted, Conditional, and Not Accepted. You do need to make 2.7 times rent. If you don't, you would need to have job offer letters showing that combined between 2 of you. If they can get you to Conditional, depending on the management, but you would just have to put down more deposit. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County