Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 PM

123 posts, read 289,413 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone on this forum moved from Miami, FL to OC. What has your experience been? What do you love about OC? Do you miss anything about Miami? And most of all, how do the warm temperatures there compare to those here in Miami? My wish as I relocate from Miami is that I'm never this hot again! So weather is a big concern to me. Thank you for your info and all the best to you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 PM

115 posts, read 337,449 times
I lived in Miami for 10 years, then lived in Irvine, OC for 2 years, now I've been back in South FL for two years (broward county).
This time of the year (May) is the time when I really start missing the Southern Ca weather! So far though it's been great, winter months in Miami are infinitely better than in CA. So in my opinion it's like this: 6 months of gorgeous weather (November through April) in Miami, 6 months of gorgeous weather (may through october) in OC, the other half of the year, a little bit more unbearable in Miami I would say. OC winters can get pretty cold for someone from Miami, I used to walk around in a sweater, jacket, a warm scarf and boots, people around me wearing a t-shirt giving me a weird look!
The most annoying part about the OC weather in winter is when it rains and rains and rains, for days, that annoying rain that seems to last forever, everything is gray and cold. It's not the quick thunderstorms that flood the sidewalks and are gone in one hour, leaving behind the most amazing orange streaks in the otherwise clear blue sky!
But not the whole winter is cold and grey by any means, I've been to the beach in CA in a swimsuit in again.
Bottomline, if you live close to the coast in OC, you'll never suffer from heat again. if you live inland, the dry desert heat will make you miss those sweaty summer days in Miami.
If it's just the weather you take into account when you make the move, it's a tough one. Like I said, I love half the year in Miami, and the other half in southern California.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Weather aside, it's not easy for me to compare, as I have lived in the best parts of OC (Newport and irvine) and the best parts of Miami- dade county (Pinecrest and Coral Gables). I think these are the best places to live in the us, and if I could I would split the year fifty-fifty, like I said!!
I have missed each place, being on the opposite coast.
Maybe OC ( the good areas) is a little better for raising a family than Miami is.

Oh, one more thing, yes: I dread the idea of earthquakes. I will take hurricanes anytime!!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA View Post
Weather aside, it's not easy for me to compare, as I have lived in the best parts of OC (Newport and irvine) and the best parts of Miami- dade county (Pinecrest and Coral Gables). I think these are the best places to live in the us, and if I could I would split the year fifty-fifty, like I said!!
I have missed each place, being on the opposite coast.
Maybe OC ( the good areas) is a little better for raising a family than Miami is.

Oh, one more thing, yes: I dread the idea of earthquakes. I will take hurricanes anytime!!
Thank you, BackHomeMIA! I mainly wanted to know how the summers compare because I really, REALLY can't deal with the heat here. I was born and raised in Miami but I will NEVER get used to the heat. My decision to move is not just on weather alone, though. I live in Miami proper (near Doral) so I do not have the same appreciation for the South Florida area as you seem to. Maybe if I leave a couple of years like you did, I will learn to appreciate Miami again. But right now, I just want to GET OUT! Really what I'm debating is whether to move to the Bay area, which is my first choice for various reasons, or to move to OC, where I have a good friend (who is only reason but a big one). As I consider the two, I always hesitate at the thought of dealing with heat. At least I know I can escape it in Northern CA. But I'm not sure about OC. The fact that it's better near the coast makes me feel better. So thank you for your info. You really have helped!

As for earthquakes, I'm not worried. I lived through Hurricane Andrew and countless other smaller hurricanes. They're no cakewalk either.

All the best to you here in SoFla!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 PM

I've been to the Bay Area twice, once in august, once in October, and maybe just my bad luck, but I froze to death both times, windy, wet and foggy, drank tons of Ghirardelli hot chocolate to stay warm!

I know many people love the Bay Area, but personally I would choose OC in a heartbeat over the Bay Area. Not to mention a decent area in the SF region is even more expensive that in OC. And in OC you can still take a dip in the ocean in the middle of summer, not up north though.

If you do pick Southern CA, make sure again you're close to the coast, 10 miles inland makes quite a difference, heat wise.

If you are from Doral, I can kind of understand why you want to move!!

I love S. FL, but I look forward to my mid-summer vacation in Newport Beach!

Good luck with your choice

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 PM

Thanks BackhomeMIA. I'm actually from the Flagami area of Miami and currently live near Mall of the Americas. That is probably just as bad to you as Doral!

I've been to both southern and northern california and I prefer northern (I fell in love with San Francisco). The Bay area is comprised of many microclimates so it's not foggy, windy and cold everywhere, all the time. And I like the location of the Bay area for the places I can take weekend trips to, etc. Plus I'm a Giants fan! Anyway, I'm just considering OC because my good friend wants me to move close to her in Yorba Linda so badly. But like I said, I don't want to be in extreme hot weather like i am here. She scared me off a bit when she said it can get in the 100s! Um, no thanks!

Anyway, thanks for replying because talking it out made me see what i really want. Thanks again and all the best to you!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Yes, Yorba Linda gets hot in the summer, I think you've made the right choice, seems like the Bay Area is a good fit for you.
Good luck to you too!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM

371 posts, read 816,279 times
Proximity to the coast makes a huge difference during the summer.

Yorba Linda is about as inland as you can get in OC, and it is partially blocked by the local mountains from the sea breezes. As a result, it is regularly 20+ degrees warmer there during the summer than at the coast.

If your main goal is to avoid hot summers, coastal OC is a great place to be. 70 degrees (give or take) is pretty much the norm if you are close to the water.

Like mentioned above, you will notice a pretty big difference during the winter from OC and Miami, especially at night. It averages in the mid-upper 40s here at night. So, unlike Miami, you can expect it to get jacket-and-jeans cold here pretty much ever night during the winter.

And, while we do regularly get 70's and 80's during the winter, it is only during periodic warm spells that might last a few days at a time, a couple of times per month (unlike Miami, which has those temps most days during the winter). The rest of the time, it is in the 60's and we do get down into the 50s during the day.

But, if your goal is to experience generally pleasant weather, coastal OC is the place. I would bet that, relative to Miami, there are many more days throughout the year in OC where you would walk outside your door and think to yourself that it was a "nice" day. And, unlike Miami, there are very, very few days were it is simply uncomfortable to be outside.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks for your reply, Bowneline! I'll start researching places west of YL in case I do find myself in OC. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County