Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 41,177 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm going to move to california to work in corona in spring 2008. I'm a german and i'm searching for a middle class situated area to life nearby corona. I searching for place near to the cost and on the other hand not to far from the the office.
One of my friends recommended me to search for accomodation in laguna beach and drive every day to corona or to customers around LA.

I would like to get some opinions and recommondation where to life in that situation?
And what are the costs to life there?

thanks for your answers.

regards.
Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 02:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
Laguna Beach is pretty far from Corona, however the commute would be what they consider a "reverse commute", as people usually live out near Corona and commute towards the beach cities.

My stepfather lives in Laguna Beach and commutes to Rialto everyday, which is even farther than Corona. It is worth it to him because Laguna Beach is such a beautiful place to live.

You'd probably have an hour commute each way, without traffic, maybe a little less, as you can take 2 different toll roads, and be almost to Corona. I'm not 100% sure how much those tolls are.

Corona and Laguna Beach are like two completely different worlds. There are places closer to Corona you could live, but none are going to be as nice as Laguna, however, Laguna is super pricey (think at least $1,600/month for a small 1 bedroom).

V. =)

Old 09-30-2007, 02:30 PM

dear veronika,

thank you very much for your help..

About tolls, where can I searching for tolls?
how much does it cost every day?
it's possible to get tikets for a year? like a flat charge ?

1600,- USD. it's not cheap, for sure.. I'm planing to search for flat share at first.

thanks.
michael

Old 09-30-2007, 03:06 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
http://www.thetollroads.com/home/images/visor_map_marshall.pdf (broken link)

Is a map of the toll roads and the tolls.

You'd have to take Laguna Canyon road up to the 133, then the 241 up to the 91 freeway. Its $3.50 each way with the discount for using the FastTrack transponder. So add $150/mo to your budget for tolls if you use it 5 days a week.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:17 PM

thank you very much.
it's great to get your help...

What do you think it's a good salary to life at laguna beach?
How high are the tax charges in CA? I heared about 12%, additional some insurances for health...?!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischbeck View Post
thank you very much.
it's great to get your help...

What do you think it's a good salary to life at laguna beach?
How high are the tax charges in CA? I heared about 12%, additional some insurances for health...?!
It really depends on what you spend on housing. If you take the $1600/mo apartment the other poster mentioned, you'll want to gross (before taxes) at least $4800/mo, or $57,600/year. Now if you want some nicer housing than that, it will cost a lot more in Laguna Beach. If you have a family to support or other expenses, you'll neet A LOT more money than $57k per year.

Income taxes are taken out of your paycheck so the only time you see your gross income is on your pay stub. A good rule of thumb is to figure that 35-33% of your gross income will be given to the government before you get yours. Both California's income tax and the Federal income tax are progressive, so the more you make, the higher percentage they take. I believe California's highest marginal rate is just over 9%. The top Federal rate is around 36% I believe. On top of that, they'll take almost 8% for social security. The state also takes another 1% or so for disability insurance. Health insurance is often paid for or subsidized by your employer but the exact terms vary by employer. If you had to buy your own health insurance as a single person in good health, you might pay $75-300/month for coverage. Health insurance is sold by private companies here and you can choose the level of coverage you want. Some people only by major medical coverage that only pays if you have something very serious and expensive happen to you, like a car crash or a liver transplant. Other plan will let you go to the doctor all the time for every little thing and not pay a dime, but of course you'll pay a lot more per month for that.

Keep in mind that Laguna Beach is rather isolated as far as Souther California goes. Its really likes its own little world and feels far from everything else. I wouldn't want to commute from Laguna Beach to Corona or Los Angeles. I wouldn't really call it middle class either. Its more a combination of old money, very high income people (like married couples where one spouse is a doctor and the other a lawyer in the prime of very successful careers), and starving artists.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:28 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,431 times
Laguna Beach.....it is the shows, movies and MTV that distort peoples vision on how people live in US.
Michael, why Laguna Beach if you work in Corona?
Let me suggest Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda....upscale communities and 15 minutes from Corona.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 AM

hey..

thank you very much again.
I get so much good information from you..

I'm really a greenhorn in that questions so it's really helpful for me to get your information.
I'm not definetally fixed to move to laguna beach. I only got a recommendation from a friend to stay there. I'm a 28 years old single and I would like to move to LA to enjoy one or two years there. Get some experiences in working and enjoy my life there.

I love nature places, full of silence but I want also move to a nice, secured place in LA area where I have a chance to get some nice contacts to young poeples, like me (ok, i'm not sooo young)... for me it's not important to move to laguna, it's a option.
If you have any other good recommendation for, it would be great..

thanks again for your help..
would be great to get another answer..

Old 10-01-2007, 01:54 PM

124 posts, read 733,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischbeck View Post
hey..

thank you very much again.
I get so much good information from you..

I'm really a greenhorn in that questions so it's really helpful for me to get your information.
I'm not definetally fixed to move to laguna beach. I only got a recommendation from a friend to stay there. I'm a 28 years old single and I would like to move to LA to enjoy one or two years there. Get some experiences in working and enjoy my life there.

I love nature places, full of silence but I want also move to a nice, secured place in LA area where I have a chance to get some nice contacts to young poeples, like me (ok, i'm not sooo young)... for me it's not important to move to laguna, it's a option.
If you have any other good recommendation for, it would be great..

thanks again for your help..
would be great to get another answer..
Take my recommendation, -if peace is important to you.. please avoid almost any city in LA County. Orange County is much better for many reasons. Including that OC is stricter on illegals.

Look at Yorba Linda and Brea. Brea has tons of shopping and lots of young people.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:52 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,348 times
91 is a parking lot. If you work in Corona forget living in Laguna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County