Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 PM

619 posts, read 2,162,900 times

Advertisements

Fed announced since a year ago that interest rates will go up in 2014.
Would that be enough to burst the bubble? Are we in a bubble?

I believe that with rising interest rates in 2014 market will slow down and prices will stay at the same level for a while.
Real estate still a better spot to park money that stock market that's why I just do not see prices falling again soon. People buying are cash buyers or strong buyers.

OC is at 2005 levels at $545k on average. peak was 675k in 2007. IMHO prices will continue to climb a little more this summer.

Your opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,163,116 times
I'm pretty much agree with everything you just said. I believe once interest rates go back up, prices will begin to level off. I don't think there will be a sudden crash due to interest rates going up a point. Prices will likely keep trending upwards until that happens.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,361,816 times
I'm sure once the investors wave passes, something we can't even imagine now will happen to keep 50 year old tract houses out of reach for anyone making under $150k. Such is life in OC.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 51,878 times
We are not in a bubble.
Prices seem fair. I would not expect much movement up or down other than 1-2% per year. Of course, variability can be caused by other factors such as fed/fiscal policy, growth in wages, international competitiveness, local issues etc. but there is no underlying issue that is creating a bubble as there was in 2004-2007.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,361,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofoc View Post
We are not in a bubble.
Prices seem fair. I would not expect much movement up or down other than 1-2% per year. Of course, variability can be caused by other factors such as fed/fiscal policy, growth in wages, international competitiveness, local issues etc. but there is no underlying issue that is creating a bubble as there was in 2004-2007.
Non-existent supply and investors chasing returns are combining to sell houses in hours for thousands over asking. Prices are increasing far faster than either inflation or incomes. If you think $600k for a 40 year old 3 bedroom tract house in mediocre condition is fair, you've been in the OC real estate distortion field too long.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 PM

11 posts, read 51,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Non-existent supply and investors chasing returns are combining to sell houses in hours for thousands over asking. Prices are increasing far faster than either inflation or incomes. If you think $600k for a 40 year old 3 bedroom tract house in mediocre condition is fair, you've been in the OC real estate distortion field too long.
You are explaining the conditions that lead to price increase but those have nothing to do with valuation.

Applying an income approach - houses are fairly valued in relation to rental rates in most areas.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:45 PM

823 posts, read 1,775,359 times
Back during the housing boom, my husband and I held off for the collapse. Houses will go into short sale, foreclosure, etc., so the market should be flooded with homeowners who can't keep up with payments. At that time, there should be so many homes for sale that prices will drop. Then we'll buy. That was the plan.

Ha. The bubble did burst, home values dropped, but the banks played us. Supply is low, demand is still high and prices went high and now higher--not what we planned at all!

I just bought a house--yes, escrow closed (yeah), but I wonder in the back of my mind what will happen when rates go up. Should I have waited? No, I simply couldn't have considering my personal situation.

I have no idea what's going to happen in the coming years. I had it all wrong!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 PM

880 posts, read 1,411,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Back during the housing boom, my husband and I held off for the collapse. Houses will go into short sale, foreclosure, etc., so the market should be flooded with homeowners who can't keep up with payments. At that time, there should be so many homes for sale that prices will drop. Then we'll buy. That was the plan.

Ha. The bubble did burst, home values dropped, but the banks played us. Supply is low, demand is still high and prices went high and now higher--not what we planned at all!

I just bought a house--yes, escrow closed (yeah), but I wonder in the back of my mind what will happen when rates go up. Should I have waited? No, I simply couldn't have considering my personal situation.

I have no idea what's going to happen in the coming years. I had it all wrong!
Since so many of the sales are cash buyers interest rates will not impact them. They get a better return on their money than current investment rates and have solid equity.

The bubble is not being inflated by stupid buyers, but by cash investors. That may drop off if interest rates cause a better return in other areas, but I doubt any "crash" like a few years ago will occur.

It may very well be like major areas of Europe where rentals are what people look for as housing has gotten too expensive. The Southern coast of CA may ultimately be out of reach of most buyers and just be a rental market in the future. Obviously many homes will be held by buyers and some sold to buyers, who are not investors, but prices will stay high as long as there are enough people or investors to pay what is asked.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 PM

246 posts, read 420,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Since so many of the sales are cash buyers interest rates will not impact them. They get a better return on their money than current investment rates and have solid equity.

The bubble is not being inflated by stupid buyers, but by cash investors. That may drop off if interest rates cause a better return in other areas, but I doubt any "crash" like a few years ago will occur.

It may very well be like major areas of Europe where rentals are what people look for as housing has gotten too expensive. The Southern coast of CA may ultimately be out of reach of most buyers and just be a rental market in the future. Obviously many homes will be held by buyers and some sold to buyers, who are not investors, but prices will stay high as long as there are enough people or investors to pay what is asked.
Of course, a permanently high plateau in real estate. Hmm I've heard that before. Paging Dr. Fisher

"There may be a recession in stock prices, but not anything in the nature of a crash."
- Irving Fisher, leading U.S. economist , New York Times, Sept. 5, 1929
"Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau. I do not feel there will be soon if ever a 50 or 60 point break from present levels, such as (bears) have predicted. I expect to see the stock market a good deal higher within a few months."
- Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in economics, Oct. 17, 1929

The stock market crashed less than two weeks later.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 AM

619 posts, read 2,162,900 times
Too much demand for this sunny crowded place called So Cal....supply and demand is basic economics! We may never see the bottom of 2009 prices ever again. Bottom is gone people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County