Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,094 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a recent college graduate and I plan on moving out to California, my focus has been Orange County. I have been researching apartment prices, and San Clemente seems to be within my price range. I was looking at attending grad school at Chapman University, so the commute doesn't look too bad. But I have some questions. What is it like to live in San Clemente (neighborhoods, traffic, crime, etc)? Are there any other areas similar to, or possibly better than, San Clemente? This one may be dumb, but as someone who has never lived outside of MA, is there a better time of the year for moving out to CA? I know I had more questions, but I'm drawing a blank so for now I'll just start with those. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 10:45 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,928,054 times
>>so the commute doesn't look too bad.

Chapman Univ is in Orange off the 55, it's a brutal commute from San Clemente

>>What is it like to live in San Clemente

It's nice, it's beach town, it's nowhere near Chapman

>>is there a better time of the year for moving out to CA?

No, it's nice pretty much year round. That's why the prices are so high for real estate

Old 04-26-2014, 11:31 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
You'd be much better of living a lot closer to Chapman University; commuting from San Clemente would be a nightmare.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
>>so the commute doesn't look too bad.

Chapman Univ is in Orange off the 55, it's a brutal commute from San Clemente
Oh ok. Google Maps said it was like 30 mins. But that's why I wanted answers from real people. Thanks for the input, I'll keep looking.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM

521 posts, read 732,941 times
I lived in San Clemente for 5 years and loved it. Commuted to Cal State Fullerton on the Metrolink since San Clemente has a train station on the beach. There are student passes that are much less expensive. It was fun taking the train and I was able to study during that time. To me it's worth living there and commuting via train only. I think driving regularly would be brutal. The train does have a stop near Chapman I believe. You may have to take bus ride to school from train but it's not bad. Something to look into.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
Major league brain cramp on the part of yours truly--I totally forgot about Metrolink.

The Orange Metrolink station (Welcome to Metrolink) is around a 10 minute walk from the main campus of Chapman University; walk three blocks east on Maple Av., then north past the legendary breakfast establishment known as the Filling Station Cafe to the main campus one block north.

A monthly pass for students between the San Clemente station (there's another station at the SC pier) to the Orange station runs $228.50/month.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julietb View Post
Hi, I am a recent college graduate and I plan on moving out to California, my focus has been Orange County. I have been researching apartment prices, and San Clemente seems to be within my price range. I was looking at attending grad school at Chapman University, so the commute doesn't look too bad. But I have some questions. What is it like to live in San Clemente (neighborhoods, traffic, crime, etc)? Are there any other areas similar to, or possibly better than, San Clemente? This one may be dumb, but as someone who has never lived outside of MA, is there a better time of the year for moving out to CA? I know I had more questions, but I'm drawing a blank so for now I'll just start with those. Thank you
I love San Clemente. Enough said. The only areas similar I suppose, are Dana Point and arguably Carlsbad in San Diego County. But Dana Point is far from Metrolink unless you live right by San Juan Cap downtown.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
I like SC, but there is a reason why price is cheaper because it's far from anything, even a commute to Irvine Spectrum is brutal for my buddy about an hour.

Take the train or move a lot closer.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM

33 posts, read 41,584 times
Graduating from UMass Amherst next year :P looking at moving to OC also, great info thread for my own readings!

Old 05-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I like SC, but there is a reason why price is cheaper because it's far from anything, even a commute to Irvine Spectrum is brutal for my buddy about an hour.

Take the train or move a lot closer.
As a resident of a smaller town in MA, commutes are nothing to me. I live around an hour away from Boston, and the next closest city is still about 45 mins. Just to get to WalMart is like 25 minutes away. That's why I focused on San Clemente; it seems to be very similar to my living situation here. Taking the train seems to be the best option.

This summer I am taking a trip out there, and I plan on looking around and seeing what it's like to actually live out there and get more of a feel for the area. Are there any specific places I should make sure to see? Like obviously I will want to see some major tourist attractions, but I also want to see more like what local life is like. Any suggestions anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County