Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
And sadly this past weekend we saw another example of a kid having everything handed to them and working for nothing. That family ruined many promising lives. A college student had a BMW and enough free time to make raving manifestos on youtube?

When I went away to college (financed by loans and student work), my dad gave me a 20 year old car with mismatched parts he got from pick-ur-part. I worked for everything else. I didn't have time to make any raving manifestos. I had too much work and studying to do to keep my financial aid. That and my parents would have driven up there and made sure I got straightened out without having to send law enforcement and a mental health worker to check on me.
Can't compare a crazy and disturbed psychopath with run of the mill spoiled/entitled kids. Most mass murderers don't come from entitled backgrounds but this one happened to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 06:48 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Can't compare a crazy and disturbed psychopath with run of the mill spoiled/entitled kids. Most mass murderers don't come from entitled backgrounds but this one happened to.
I can and I will! You're right, murderers and psychopaths come from all sorts of families. This one specifically spoke about his greatness and how much better he was than everyone else. He had been given everything and couldn't imagine someone denying him anything. That's entitlement. Obviously I would be way off mark to attribute this SOLELY to his spoiled childhood, but it certainly is a huge element that shows in his videos. Same as the kid in Fort Worth who argued affluenza and got off a murder charge from it. And that's in TX, the "tough justice" state.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:08 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
Agreed. Apples to Nuts.

The "I worked hard, so this psychopath can too!" argument just doesn't work in this case.

---

I don't know of many "loafers" or "Dudes" but the ones who I know have a trust fund or a fat inheritance, are pretty decent people, most of which who have jobs.

I guess I don't really know really, really rich people like the OP describes.

The only thing I can say is that the job market has only begun to pick up in the past couple of years. It looks nothing like it did here 4-5 years ago. I'm not really excusing people being lazy and not working, but if they're able to get away with it, then so be it.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:58 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I grew up in Texas, and here I have met a TON of people who just don't have a career or plans for one.

I live in Los Orangeles now (What I call Long Beach since it's a mix of LA and the OC). I know more than a few people in their 30's-40's still living off their parents with no real ambition or plans. I have a friend in Seal Beach area who just turned 40 and he works VERY part time (when he feels up to it) as a receptionist at the family dental office and has his own nice apartment a few blocks from the beach, a nice sports car, and has full cable, newest phone, lives just fine. This is one of many many folks I have met here who have great degrees but no real marketable skills and not much work history. They're always "looking" for their passion, but at 35, 40, 45, haven't found it.

Another friend lives in West Hollywood and is 42 and has been unemployed with parents paying everything for 2 years now.

A friend in Orange who has been unemployed since he moved here 4 years ago from Georgia because the art scene here just doesn't meet his standards.

A friend near Hancock Park with a KILLER beautiful apartment, Mercedes SUV, and no job since she moved here 2 years ago to break in to the video production industry. I think she's 36.

Lots of others in LA/OC. Is this what SoCal attracts? I've never seen such a large population that just doesn't feel the need to contribute to the workforce.
I don't know of anyone like that who lives in LA or OC.. are you sure you're not living in a bubble?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
This may be hard for some to grasp, but in the case of some mentally fragile people, sometimes people parents do provide things as a means to prevent a downward spiral or as a means to a goal. People do pay for their kids education 100% and they do just fine after graduation. On the other hand, if you are a parent with a child who has had every impediment and battle with mental issues as you see the child slipping and now young adulthood with the thought that you, the parent, aren't going to be alive to help them, you will find any way you can to focus the young person on education and a job and provide every opportunity for that career that can make the difference of their living in the park or at least employment with a life worth living, while still dealing with mental illness. Do you really want to be that parent who says NO if the young person has an opportunity to go to school or vocational training for a job they really like and can earn a living, or will you support it and help pay the way? It aint as easy as some are saying. No one's life is a bed of roses. And just because some can manage (and they admit by LUCK) to pay their way through school, doesn't mean the next person can whose wage won't permit it and they have no one to turn to for help. Quite the contrary, it is those who are truly ALONE and haven't a network of friends and family who are the most miserable and living the worst with great depression. Let's just say that it isn't as easy or cut and dry as some on this thread make it sound.

However, I would say the decision that many young people make to have children so young, out of marriage (not for moral reasons, but just that there is a deficit for the kid with one parent), but most of all without the income to truly support a family. Now, that is something else entirely, and those folks struggle and kids do without and do start with some pretty fair disadvantages just because the parents wanted babies for some reason. The End.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:07 PM

123 posts, read 260,098 times
Quote:
He was hardly entitled. His mother made an average wage and gave him the car when some guy she was dating bought her a new one.

His father blew all his money on his own film which bombed at the box office. At that point, the family had no money.

At least do the research before you make these wild claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County