Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,725 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently residing in Laguna Niguel and was renting out a room temporarily because I was undergoing a remodel to sell the house. I offered the room at a discounted rate with utilities included on a month-to-month basis for a maximum for 5 months. I did not write up an agreement as everything was done verbally and understood that rent was due on the first of each month. The tenant ran into a problem with her wallet being stolen last month and told me that she is trying to organize everything with her bank. I figured I would give her leniency to get everything fixed but that on July 4th I would need both June and July rent. It is now 4 days later and I have still yet to receive any delinquent rent checks and I have confront her about it because we live in the same house. I, therefore, have written up the 3-day notice to pay or quit for her and will begin the eviction process. My question is, based on the legal grounds, am I in the right to begin the eviction process and recover my delinquent rent checks?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Has she ever paid any rent or did she move in June and hasn't paid a dime?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 PM

She paid rent in April and May. In May, she was 14 days late.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
You are within your rights to serve the 3-day because she has not paid rent. The 3-days begins the day after she is served with the pay or quit. Then you have to file the unlawful detainer and have someone serve her (a process server or certified agent). It's a long and crazy process in California.

Do you want her to pay the rent and back rent or do you want her to leave? It may be better to have a sit down with her and see what the deal is. Whatever you do, make sure you are on your best behavior to not give her any grounds to complain in court. Act like a giant heartless corporation, don't yell or act rude if she really isn't going to pay rent, just let the court action do your talking. You have nothing to gain and lots to lose by retaliating in a juvenile manner here. Don't prank her, don't sabotage her stuff or anything. It's infuriating, but be above reproach here.

You also need to get some stuff i writing if you decide to keep her around. The move out date needs to be specific and signed by her. You cannot do verbal contract in California. Notarize stuff, have a witness, this state is nuts.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:44 PM

At this point, I'm ok with just getting back-rent and her leaving (not paying July).

I heard verbal contracts were ok for month-to-month. But I could be wrong.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:23 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff08208 View Post
At this point, I'm ok with just getting back-rent and her leaving (not paying July).

I heard verbal contracts were ok for month-to-month. But I could be wrong.
Tims question was more of an either or situation. Especially if you want it done with any haste.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Alright.

One more question, if she were to just pack up and leave does that necessarily mean I will not be getting the back-rent? Or is that what the unlawful detainer is for so I can proceed to small claims court?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County