Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 03:16 PM

6 posts, read 8,632 times

Advertisements

I'm about to agree on a price for a townhome in Orange County. The townhome has 2 common walls, but it has a nice private location that makes the tradeoff okay. However, I found out that some of the homes in the plaza have experienced piping problems (The area was built from around 2008 to 2010ish) resulting from leaks; it turns out that the properties built earlier tend to have the issue as opposed to the later developments (or so I'm told right now by the owner....). The HOA is in negotiations with the builder to get this resolved.

This particular unit doesn't have any problem and was built later. However, the neighbor allegedly messed up installation of a fan, and burst the emergency sprinklers pipe, which caused some water damage. However, they insist it was addressed thoroughly and cleaned up. Of course, the home was repainted in preparation for a sale, so one can't see exactly at this moment.

I did some research on home inspectors, and it seems that one should get a CA certified home inspector. However, it seems that even certified home inspectors function purely on VISUAL INSPECTION. I know there will always be visual hints to the trained eye, but if you can't see it...then it doesn't matter.

I want a home inspector that goes beyond simple visual inspection, and I'm willing to pay for it. Are there inspectors that use non-destructive methods to see underneath the surface in addition to visual inspections? As an engineer, I know there are many techniques to investigate defects in materials that are non destructive. I'd be surprised if many of these techniques haven't been adapted to the real estate industry.

Do any of these kinds of inspectors exist that have good reputations? Although I love the place, peace of mind is critical for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,421,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCbuyerAM View Post
I'm about to agree on a price for a townhome in Orange County. The townhome has 2 common walls, but it has a nice private location that makes the tradeoff okay. However, I found out that some of the homes in the plaza have experienced piping problems (The area was built from around 2008 to 2010ish) resulting from leaks; it turns out that the properties built earlier tend to have the issue as opposed to the later developments (or so I'm told right now by the owner....). The HOA is in negotiations with the builder to get this resolved.

This particular unit doesn't have any problem and was built later. However, the neighbor allegedly messed up installation of a fan, and burst the emergency sprinklers pipe, which caused some water damage. However, they insist it was addressed thoroughly and cleaned up. Of course, the home was repainted in preparation for a sale, so one can't see exactly at this moment.

I did some research on home inspectors, and it seems that one should get a CA certified home inspector. However, it seems that even certified home inspectors function purely on VISUAL INSPECTION. I know there will always be visual hints to the trained eye, but if you can't see it...then it doesn't matter.

I want a home inspector that goes beyond simple visual inspection, and I'm willing to pay for it. Are there inspectors that use non-destructive methods to see underneath the surface in addition to visual inspections? As an engineer, I know there are many techniques to investigate defects in materials that are non destructive. I'd be surprised if many of these techniques haven't been adapted to the real estate industry.

Do any of these kinds of inspectors exist that have good reputations? Although I love the place, peace of mind is critical for me.
Unfortunately for the issue of potential water damage there are no high tech pieces of equipment that can "see underneath the surface" of any material. You can hire an Inspector that uses Thermal Imaging and perform a proper and complete scan of the home. However that can be expensive and can only identify that an anomaly possibly exists that would require further testing. That testing can be as simple as a moisture meter to detect higher than typical levels of moisture and/or actual destructive testing by probing or removal of drywall. If there are available openings in the wall near the suspected leakage point then a bore scope can be used to possibly see water damage to the length of the scope's probe. But that does require an opening already exists to insert the probe and might not be conclusive unless significant damage occurred.

Have you requested a CLUE report for the home to see if the current owner filed any insurance claims in the last 5 - 7 years that would indicate or suggest water damage? You can read about CLUE here https://www.privacyrights.org/clue-a...urers-size-you .

If this is an HOA controlled community you can speak with the HOA to see if this fire suppression system and damage from it was handled by them and if they have records on it?

Another possible avenue is to check with the local Building Inspections Department for your municipality to see if proper permits were ever applied for and completed to repair the sprinkler system and surrounding damaged areas. I would fully expect that even in your area any major repairs to a fire suppression system would be rigidly controlled by the local Building Inspections Department.

Then you have one additional avenue and that is to introduce yourself to your new neighbors since you are considering buying. When you do that mention the issues and see what they have to say or know. They might be well aware of what all transpired and possibly who was affected as well as by how much.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: