Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:28 PM

38 posts, read 88,259 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have spent a LOT of time doing broad searches of this general topic and I believe starting this thread will help a lot of people (including myself because this is happening to me), please take a moment and respond with your opinion or advice!

For the people and families who get jobs in the Los Angeles county area, but would prefer to live and commute up from Orange county, where is their best option to live?

For the sake of argument, and to allow everyone's opinion to be relevant and open for discussion, lets just agree the "areas" someone might be working would be in regions of LA that might include anywhere from the downtown area, to the north/northeast areas and out heading east/southeast toward the county lines.. I'm not including the south and west sides because the answer to that is pretty obvious, live in a beach city.. So the specific question is "where" should a family live in Orange County if they have to commute into these mentioned parts of LA for work?

When I say "best": I believe these four universal factors relate equally to all families, when considering the term "Best," regardless of religion, class, lifestyle choice, personal interest or ethnicity:
1) Safe/Nice (aka low crime, neighborhoods not totally run down, comfortable for women to go out at night)
2) Family Friendly (Quality family friendly activities and establishments within reasonable distances, nice parks, nice neighborhoods, etc.. )
3) Schools (Highly rated public schools, Charter school options, Private school options)
4) Quality of Life (Commute from location in Orange county to Los Angeles county areas mentioned cannot exceed 1.5 hours on an average day, excluding random traffice jams, etc.. )

I personally have to start apartment hunting immediately but will hopefully move into a home in a few years, so this thread should remain relevant for many years! Please share your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 PM

384 posts, read 734,630 times
Cerritos, La Palma, Cypress.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:46 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2OC2LA View Post
Ok, so I have spent a LOT of time doing broad searches of this general topic and I believe starting this thread will help a lot of people (including myself because this is happening to me), please take a moment and respond with your opinion or advice!

For the people and families who get jobs in the Los Angeles county area, but would prefer to live and commute up from Orange county, where is their best option to live?

For the sake of argument, and to allow everyone's opinion to be relevant and open for discussion, lets just agree the "areas" someone might be working would be in regions of LA that might include anywhere from the downtown area, to the north/northeast areas and out heading east/southeast toward the county lines.. I'm not including the south and west sides because the answer to that is pretty obvious, live in a beach city.. So the specific question is "where" should a family live in Orange County if they have to commute into these mentioned parts of LA for work?

When I say "best": I believe these four universal factors relate equally to all families, when considering the term "Best," regardless of religion, class, lifestyle choice, personal interest or ethnicity:
1) Safe/Nice (aka low crime, neighborhoods not totally run down, comfortable for women to go out at night)
2) Family Friendly (Quality family friendly activities and establishments within reasonable distances, nice parks, nice neighborhoods, etc.. )
3) Schools (Highly rated public schools, Charter school options, Private school options)
4) Quality of Life (Commute from location in Orange county to Los Angeles county areas mentioned cannot exceed 1.5 hours on an average day, excluding random traffice jams, etc.. )

I personally have to start apartment hunting immediately but will hopefully move into a home in a few years, so this thread should remain relevant for many years! Please share your thoughts!
Cant help much without knowing your budget...if you want all you listed, be prepared to spend a small fortune in OC

Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 PM

115 posts, read 191,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Northwest Huntington Beach meets these requirements, except perhaps no. 4. I can't imagine any location in OC that meets your commute time requirement if you are traveling to locations north of downtown or to West LA. I commute to El Segundo and it takes almost an hour leaving before 4:00 in the afternoon.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
If it's specific to the OC then I would agree with Cypress, HB maybe even some places in Anaheim but I don't see why you don't just head up to Burbank, or Santa Clarita or Northridge if you want to live outside of the city with an easier commute, although there really isn't any such thing as a short commute but at least in the other direction the Metrolink would be an easier option.
I know some people who commute all the way to Irvine daily, but they are on the road a long time. Me no likey.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Cant help much without knowing your budget...if you want all you listed, be prepared to spend a small fortune in OC
That's the thing. The affordable option differs from the great option.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 AM

329 posts, read 656,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2OC2LA View Post

I have a similar thread as well. Looking to rent in Cypress/Cerritos and carpool to work in Santa Monica.
What have you decided?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Thanks, I have friends in different areas around the OC/LA border areas and they also recommended these general locations. I took a trip out through Cerritos/Cypress area, seems nice enough, kind of older neighborhoods right of the highway in these towns.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
I left the budget part off to allow a broader scope of answers.. Personally, I am trying to get either an apartment or house (rental) for under $1600 a month, but would go up to $2000 if necessary.. We need 3 bedroom or larger if possible.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Cat View Post
Northwest Huntington Beach meets these requirements, except perhaps no. 4. I can't imagine any location in OC that meets your commute time requirement if you are traveling to locations north of downtown or to West LA. I commute to El Segundo and it takes almost an hour leaving before 4:00 in the afternoon.
Thanks! I have a few friends in HB selling me on moving back there, just not sure about the commute from that part of the 405 on up. I will be commuting to the San Gabriel valley area, so from HB I'd be looking at a commute up the 405, to the 605 to the 210, most likely.. Which isn't bad and I know from experience I want to avoid the 5 and 10 highways. Back when I lived in Santa Monica, I hated having to sit on those roads, there by the 405, just a nightmare.. Which is my primary interest in moving back to the OC and commuting around/up to the LA area if we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County