Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:01 AM

45 posts, read 209,500 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in knowing what it's like to live there. I'm not living near Irvine at all (real understatement)... I hear all kinds of things: it's clean, it has good schools and stuff. But I also read something about some Irvine specific "rules"... or read people writing it is more for "privileged" people to live there...

So I'm just wondering what people from Irvine can tell me, or people who know Irvine themselves. The pro's, the cons. Things that changed, things they wan't to see changed. Hotspots in Irvine. The beauty of it. Schools, work, houses, stores, parks, history, future... maybe someone can touch on that "rules" part I mentioned earlier? Anything you want to share about Irvine... you are welcome to post it and I am happy to read it and learn!

Thank you!

p.s. I'm just asking... it's not like I'm moving or anything. I just want to learn about the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:13 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,738 times
I have lived in Irvine for nearly 13 years now. I admit, I have a bit of a love/hate relation with Irvine.

On the plus side, Irvine is very clean, low crime rate, good schools, has some nice parks. Irvine is a good place to raise a family- the schools can be competitive.

On the negative, Irvine may seem very sterile, cookie cutter, a bit pricey to live, not much nightlife as most things seem to close by 9 or 10pm (21:00 or 22:00).

If you own a home, chances are it is regulated by Homeowner's Associations, which does keep places looking clean, but they often dictate what you can do with your home/property.

There is a sizable Asian population- largely Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean. There is also a sizable Persian population. The demographics are largely White, Asian or Persian. There are a growing number of Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean restaurants, as well as Persian restaurants and markets.

Of course, Irvine has University of California at Irvine. There are also some companies based out in Irvine or have branch operations based in Irvine-so there are jobs around here if you are skilled.

There are constantly new communities being built. There was a stall during the "great recession" but I'm starting to see constructions of new homes and apartments going up at a fast rate again. That may mean more congestion on the roads. There is no good public transportation in Irvine- you largely need a car to get around. These are just a few things that come to mind. This is just my perspective. I'm sure there are others who can offer other perspectives about Irvine.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:23 PM

Thanks for sharing, twnxn!

I think what you said about the Homeowner's Associations is what I read about those "rules".

Old 06-18-2015, 04:08 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Most of the Orange County communities have Homeowner's Associations (HOA); it's not just Irvine. I live a few miles away from Irvine, in Rancho Santa Margarita. Our HOA regulates, for example, the colors houses can be painted; the types of fences that can be installed; the process for approving home improvements and remodeling; where cars can be parked and for how long; and what hours and days construction is permitted (not before 7 am and not on Sundays). The HOA levies a monthly or yearly fee. This pays for landscaping of common areas, community park and pool maintenance, and so forth.

Many of the HOA regulations are either common sense or are implemented in order to maintain a certain level of quality in the neighborhood. For example, several years ago my next-door neighbor wanted to install a large play structure in his backyard. Since this structure would be visible from other houses, the HOA required that he had to come and get the approval of the neighbors on both sides and directly across the street. Of course, none of us raised any objection, but if we had truly felt that a play structure would be an eyesore or degrade the look of the neighborhood, and had refused to sign, he would not have been able to install it.

Certainly, there are many people in many other areas of the state and country who find such laws oppressive and object to living in an area with a HOA. My understanding, though, is that European countries such as Germany have rules which are nearly as strict.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:48 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, Saibot! I indeed read comments of people who where no fans of Homeowner's Associations.

In fact, where I live we also do have that. Though we pay money every month which is saved for big projects like when roofs need to be fixed, sewers need to be replaced or fronts need to be restored etc.. We have HOA's more for appartment buildings rather than neighbourhoods.

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:44 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I have lived in Irvine for nearly 13 years now. I admit, I have a bit of a love/hate relation with Irvine.

On the plus side, Irvine is very clean, low crime rate, good schools, has some nice parks. Irvine is a good place to raise a family- the schools can be competitive.

On the negative, Irvine may seem very sterile, cookie cutter, a bit pricey to live, not much nightlife as most things seem to close by 9 or 10pm (21:00 or 22:00).

If you own a home, chances are it is regulated by Homeowner's Associations, which does keep places looking clean, but they often dictate what you can do with your home/property.

There is a sizable Asian population- largely Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean. There is also a sizable Persian population. The demographics are largely White, Asian or Persian. There are a growing number of Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean restaurants, as well as Persian restaurants and markets.

Of course, Irvine has University of California at Irvine. There are also some companies based out in Irvine or have branch operations based in Irvine-so there are jobs around here if you are skilled.

There are constantly new communities being built. There was a stall during the "great recession" but I'm starting to see constructions of new homes and apartments going up at a fast rate again. That may mean more congestion on the roads. There is no good public transportation in Irvine- you largely need a car to get around. These are just a few things that come to mind. This is just my perspective. I'm sure there are others who can offer other perspectives about Irvine.
As someone that lived in 2 different parts of Irvine over the last couple of years I agree.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 AM

78 posts, read 127,950 times
It is terribly expensive if you don't already own a home there with substantial equity. My friend and his wife bought a house there for $900K, between HOA, mello roos, and tax it is about $20K a year. The mortgage is another $3K per month and they had close to $300K for down payment. You need to be a doctor, dentist, lawyer, or two 6 figure Engineering salaries to live there. In addition, everything else like gasoline, groceries, dining out, haircut are more expensive. My friend and his wife is thinking about selling the house and move to Fountain Valley where they can also get a decent house, decent schools and save more than $2K per month.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM

162 posts, read 231,703 times
Rental-wise it's not really that different than the rest of Orange County, or the state of California in general, really. The Irvine Company owns everything and has ridiculous requirements for credit screening and such (for example they require you to make about $60k a year to move into a $1700/month apartment), but that's just because of all the regulations put on renters in California, it's not really anything unique to Irvine.

That's just for renting though, buying is an entirely different story.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy92683 View Post
It is terribly expensive if you don't already own a home there with substantial equity. My friend and his wife bought a house there for $900K, between HOA, mello roos, and tax it is about $20K a year. The mortgage is another $3K per month and they had close to $300K for down payment. You need to be a doctor, dentist, lawyer, or two 6 figure Engineering salaries to live there. In addition, everything else like gasoline, groceries, dining out, haircut are more expensive. My friend and his wife is thinking about selling the house and move to Fountain Valley where they can also get a decent house, decent schools and save more than $2K per month.
It's true and logical. When I buy the same groceries in Costa Mesa, they are about 10-20% less than a grocery stores in Tustin Ranch/Irvine/AV. And sometimes I do that. I don't dry clean much but's I have basic suits and it's 50% less to dry clean in CM/SA over any newer area. You pay more for everything in a nice area. Geez when I have to shop in Laguna talk about $$ shock.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 AM

I think 10-20% for groceries are quite a difference!

Thanks for the comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County