Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM

186 posts, read 734,499 times

Advertisements

We are family of 4, considering a move from NYC area to OC, although nothing is decided yet. The reason for the move is primarily for better quality of life, and weather plus craziness of public transport are two big things. Jobs here and there would be relatively similar, so that's not a major factor. With 2 toddlers soon to start elementary school, we definitely want a very safe neighborhood with good schools.

I am unsure about the idea still because it's like moving from one insane place to another - some place like Texas would be way better in terms of QoL and bigger bang for your buck. Can anyone throw light on what we should be considering? Will it be possible to have a commute of ~30 minutes or so on normal days in OC, with the above requirements, if the job was in Fountain Valley? Is it possible to survive on a total gross income ~150K for a while there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:13 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,730 times
$150k for a family of four is way more than what many Southern Californians make. You will be fine. Actually, I think this would depend on your debt load.

If you end up working in Fountain Valley, you have several options for nice, safe neighborhoods with good schools, family activities, the beach, etc. You could live in FV even to cut down on the commute. Try and avoid a long work commute if you can. Schools in that area are good and there's lots of fun things to do with the kids, some of which are totally free. If you miss the snow and cold, you can drive a few hours to the mountains.

I've only visited NYC twice. In my first visit, I didn't like the city. On my second, I had a very different take. OC and NYC are so different, aren't they? I would pick OC over NYC if I had to choose. Never been to Texas, but have heard pros and cons.

I think that with your income, you're going to be just fine here.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
I have lived in both and OC is the polar opposite of NYC. I actually liked both, but preferred NYC.

Keep in mind, your life will be TOTALLY different (which could be a good thing or bad thing). You will probably enjoy things like eating outdoors almost every night for dinner, or hiking in the canyons, or everything being new and orderly, while getting annoyed at things like endless boring chains everywhere, all the homes look the same, and too many materialistic/flashy people who don't have much money but like to show off.

I missed the energy and diversity of NYC, and the whip-smart, constantly driven people. Everything seemed so slow in OC. But OC has its charms, and if your commute is short, and you live in a nice community, life can be good.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
FV is a great safe city. I strongly suggest living there if you work there. I've lived there and never had any issues of any kind. 150k a year is very doable. Rents run anywhere from $1300 for a 1/1 to $3500+ for a 3-4/2 SFR. Townhouses run about 2500 a month.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:48 AM

108 posts, read 125,509 times
People have lied to you!!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:36 AM

Also, why Fountain Valley? The schools there are OK, not great. The community is decent, but not exceptional. Homes are OK, not the best, not the worst. It's a mostly Asian city at this point, so if you are Asian that helps.

I personally am very picky with public schools and would research other options, esp. if you're coming from the NYC area, which has very competitive school districts. The districts here are a little more laid-back, excepting Irvine and maybe NB.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:24 AM

Keep in mind - It's never about how much you earn, it's about how much you keep!!

$150k after all deductions? If it's before taxes and deductions you'll be getting a lot less than that $150k

Lets break it down - $150k divided by 1 calendar year, 365 days. Equates to $411 per day ($410.958904 to be exact).

Rent - Lets say regardless of the city and so forth you get a fantastic deal and pay $1500 per month - $18,000.00 in rent ($49.32 per day)

You're now at $361.68 per day
No accounting for:
Car - gas, maintenance, insurance, and DMV fee's.
Electricity
Water
Garbage - Depending on where you live
TV
Internet
Current outstanding debt

That's just the money side...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fo...a49ee5bbe1e8c9

In honor of Arthur "Pop" Momands 1913 New York Globe comic strip which coined this phrase... "keeping up with the jones's" is what you'll find happens to most people who move here. It's like being in a mob of people heading towards the train... you just get sucked in.

Richest Neighborhoods In Southern California - Business Insider

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Do yourself a favor, visit first. I promise the up-front out-of-pocket costs will be saved ten fold by knowing something versus reading about it, or, using these opinion based web forums.

Last edited by Yac; 08-05-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 11:28 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I have lived in both and OC is the polar opposite of NYC. I actually liked both, but preferred NYC.

Keep in mind, your life will be TOTALLY different (which could be a good thing or bad thing). You will probably enjoy things like eating outdoors almost every night for dinner, or hiking in the canyons, or everything being new and orderly, while getting annoyed at things like endless boring chains everywhere, all the homes look the same, and too many materialistic/flashy people who don't have much money but like to show off.

I missed the energy and diversity of NYC, and the whip-smart, constantly driven people. Everything seemed so slow in OC. But OC has its charms, and if your commute is short, and you live in a nice community, life can be good.
Thats a very broad generalization and completely false. You make OC sound like nothing but master planned communities and strip malls which it is not. There are quite a few areas like downtown Orange, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Tustin, CDM and others that feature quaint little downtowns with non chain shops and restaurants and plenty of custom homes that look nothing alike. You should get out more

Old 07-23-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Thats a very broad generalization and completely false. You make OC sound like nothing but master planned communities and strip malls which it is not.
Have you been to NYC? If you're coming from NYC, then, yeah, OC will basically seem like "master planned communities and strip malls". That goes for Orange, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Tustin and CDM too. Even LA feels like this compared to NYC, so if you're new to OC from the NYC area, everything will feel very new and master planned-feeling.

And where is this "quaint downtown" in CDM? I actually lived there, and there is no real downtown in CDM, quaint or otherwise. The PCH isn't a downtown, and is pretty much strip malls and the like (actually even Laguna is more or less strip malls except for a few blocks).

Old 07-23-2015, 11:47 AM

PCH Shopping is Downtown CDM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County