Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:18 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Some of these folks objecting to this kind of dining arrangement must have never been to Louisiana or even Maryland for that matter. Mind you, the places that have this kind of food are usually very country.
I lived in Maryland for a while, yes people bring bluecrabs in a bag..but they usually eat them on a plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Hmm, well, although I no longer eat shellfish for health reasons, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this (apart from the pseudo estrogens released in the plastic bags). BC is a great place if you like Cajun style food and eating. I disagree that it is lousy. Have you even tried it?
Nope wouldn't try it, but I also wouldn't eat out of a troff.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:24 AM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times
We used to go to The Crab Pot in Long Beach (just past Joe's Crab Shack), but once we found The Boiling Crab, we haven't been back.

TBC must be doing something right, because as already stated there can be a two to three hour wait to get in on some night.

Here's a link to the Yelp review, they only have 2500 reviews

The Boiling Crab - 1144 Photos - Cajun/Creole - Garden Grove, CA - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Old 07-29-2015, 02:15 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,444 times
The one in Garden Grove is jam packed. I too was a little skeptical of the plastic bag. So I only ate the crawfish and lobster that were in it's shell. A little sauce did get into it but oh wells.

It's also operated by Vietnamese Immigrants. Donald Trumps want's to send these people back.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
A Johnny-come-Lately. Before there was a South Coast Plaza there was the Crab Cooker on the Peninsula in Newport Beach. I remember it from the very early '50s. No plastic bags and no credit cards.
Crab Cooker is still there right? Man I love that place.. best biscuits, very nice people...

Old 07-29-2015, 09:01 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,986 times
You know, I was not impressed with TBC. My family got food from the one in Garden Grove. Maybe it was because we ordered "to go", but sigh...I agree with some of the Yelp reviewers. Their shrimp was powdery. What is up with that?

We ordered it for a family get-together and I decided to save on cost by cooking my own shrimp and mixing it in with the BTC bag. Their seasoning is great, I admit that, but their shrimp? Powdery. It's basically shrimp cooked with Old Bay seasoning.

Home cooked is cheaper and better quality, I think.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
You know, I was not impressed with TBC. My family got food from the one in Garden Grove. Maybe it was because we ordered "to go", but sigh...I agree with some of the Yelp reviewers. Their shrimp was powdery. What is up with that?

We ordered it for a family get-together and I decided to save on cost by cooking my own shrimp and mixing it in with the BTC bag. Their seasoning is great, I admit that, but their shrimp? Powdery. It's basically shrimp cooked with Old Bay seasoning.

Home cooked is cheaper and better quality, I think.
People don't really go there for the food. It's just a nice place to hang out. I ordered the lobster and wasn't impressed. I prefer the lobster from Capital Seafood.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Their shrimp was powdery. What is up with that?
powdery ?? What the heck does that mean?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
powdery ?? What the heck does that mean?
Powdery means, I think, it needs to be shaken in the bag more.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:07 AM

823 posts, read 1,784,986 times
I know-- what is powdery shrimp. Maybe they should put that as an option on their menu. That's how Yelpers described it and I understand why.

How do I describe powdery shrimp? Shrimp when cooked is suppose to be firm. Then entire shrimp should be firm. The shrimp at TBC is powdery where the body is attached to the head. Just that small portion was soft and mushy--every single one of their shrimp was like this. Soft and mushy at the top and firm from that point to the tail. It's not because they use shrimp with the head still attached. I've come across mushy, powdery shrimp before once and don't know what causes that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County