Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 PM

21 posts, read 202,624 times

Advertisements

I recently received a job offer in Irvine, CA (Orange County). As great as the weather is and the proximity to the beach and mountains, I really wonder..... IS IT WORTH IT? Many people I talked to want to get out because it is expensive, traffic sucks, overcrowded, etc.

I would like to know from those who are living in Orange County or who have lived there in the past if it is truly worth LIVING and WORKING there! Defend the place you live or vent your frustrations. I want to know the good and bad to living and working there. Some people talk like it is paradise while others say it is overrated for numerous reasons (cost of living being a major factor).

When I interviewed in Irvine, I fell into the "southern california mystique" as most non-Californians do. I want to make an educated and wise decision before I decide to move out to "paradise."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 11:35 PM

13 posts, read 169,015 times
Those who come usually do not leave by their own choice. If you can afford the cost of living and taxes, there is no better plave in the USA.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 254,759 times
I used to work in Irvine. The weather is beautiful but the traffic can be brutal. If you can live pretty close to where you work you can take surface streets. The cost of living is high, traffic sucks, can't get weather any better so pick your posion. There can be a 20 degree variance in weather from Irvine to the Inland Empire. Take for instance today I live in Riverside it's 105 degrees in Irvine it's around 87 degrees.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:12 AM

68 posts, read 247,041 times
Default Not exactly paradise...

I work in Irvine and live in Orange County. I agree with your friends who told you about the rotten traffic, etc. I commute 24 miles to work and that can take anywhere from 35 minutes on a very good day to an hour. Traffic here can be caused by absolutely nothing. Traffic occurs on the weekends too - there is no break from it, and no rhyme or reason...it just IS. It is very overcrowded. The weather is lovely, but to me it isn't worth it. If the job you are considering pays really well and you can get a place near where you work (therefore, avoiding a commute), then maybe you should consider it. Depending on what you like to do for fun and what your interests are, you may really like it out here. The good points about So Cal: The beach, mountains, deserts, are all within driving distance. So if you like the outdoors, you will have some things to do (but remember - traffic). Los Angeles isn't too far and neither is San Diego if you are looking for a city fix or want to take out of town visitors to some of the popular touristy things. The weather is pretty mild - not too harsh either way. The bad points about So Cal: Traffic, traffic, traffic. I understand when there is nasty traffic in Los Angeles - it is a city. But Orange County? Irvine isn't a "real" city in my eyes and when you sit in that kind of traffic you are hoping for something good awaiting you at the end of the torture...but it doesn't come. Irvine is very beige. You will know what that means if you really got a good look around. All the houses and apartments look the same....and they are all beige. Depending on where in Irvine you may be working, I would look in the surrounding areas for homes. Southern part of Irvine - try Lake Forest for homes. They have no mello-roos there (a nice little extra tax they have in parts of Irvine, Aliso Viejo, and other similar beige areas). Northern end of Irvine (near John Wayne Airport) is close to Newport Beach, but the homes there are very pricey. Try Costa Mesa for housing.
I know this was long-winded, but I hope it helps you. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

Old 07-16-2006, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 43,928 times
Exclamation Orange County / Irvine from Wisconsin

I grew up in Milwaukee, WI and recently was offered a job in Irvine, CA. I hate cold and snow, so I'm thinking about making the move. I'm 24 years old, and I have two friends who want to make the move with me to California. Where should we look for housing/apartments? In the Orange County area, what is the best place for singles in their twenties? We'd definitely like to be just a short drive from the beach, but obviously we don't want to spend our life savings on rent. What areas do you suggest?

We're planning a trip in about three weeks to come out and take a look around the area. In order to make a sound decision about moving, what do you suggest that we check out while we are in the area? Any "must see" items that might sway our decision one way or another?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We're going to have a rental car so we can experience the traffic situation firsthand as well

~John
Milwaukee, WI

Old 07-16-2006, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 38,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd8200
I recently received a job offer in Irvine, CA (Orange County). As great as the weather is and the proximity to the beach and mountains, I really wonder..... IS IT WORTH IT? Many people I talked to want to get out because it is expensive, traffic sucks, overcrowded, etc.

I would like to know from those who are living in Orange County or who have lived there in the past if it is truly worth LIVING and WORKING there! Defend the place you live or vent your frustrations. I want to know the good and bad to living and working there. Some people talk like it is paradise while others say it is overrated for numerous reasons (cost of living being a major factor).

When I interviewed in Irvine, I fell into the "southern california mystique" as most non-Californians do. I want to make an educated and wise decision before I decide to move out to "paradise."
Living here my entire life I think it's a great place to live if your conditions are right. I agree that it's beautiful place to live, ranging from the beach communities that are constantly sunny to the mountains with their very occasional snow, the geographic blend is unmatched by anywhere I've been. Personally I find it nice, but definetly not paradise, much too hot for my taste. Yes traffic is an issue. You can get to work in 10-15 min, 20 min later it'll take hours depending on the freeway and situation.

I hate the over-crowding, I live in undesirable city in Orange County and it's unbearable for me, maybe I'm just a picky person but i like my space, and having 20 people live in the same square acre of me bugs me to no end.

A little about Irvine. Having been here more than 10 years I've seen Irvine develop from it's nothing as fields and fields to a sprawling beautiful city. It really is a nice place, right now. The way i see it, they're putting cut-out houses in every little corner they can. Maybe not yet, but they're getting there. Right now is a wonderful time to live in Irvine, it's a great looking, new, polished city of youngish professionals, but i think in 5-10 year it's just going to be an over-crowded mess.

A totally agree that the cost of living is outrageous. Being a college student i can see just how harsh it can get and it's not nice. I have friends splitting small apartments while working full-time and going to school just so they can live close to the beach. They aren't getting anywhere living like that. I read something the other day saying how more and more college students are living at home and staying later, i think the average was like 23. Personally this is my main reason for wanting to move out of state, the area is great but the cost is too much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbfizzle
I grew up in Milwaukee, WI and recently was offered a job in Irvine, CA. I hate cold and snow, so I'm thinking about making the move. I'm 24 years old, and I have two friends who want to make the move with me to California. Where should we look for housing/apartments? In the Orange County area, what is the best place for singles in their twenties? We'd definitely like to be just a short drive from the beach, but obviously we don't want to spend our life savings on rent. What areas do you suggest?

We're planning a trip in about three weeks to come out and take a look around the area. In order to make a sound decision about moving, what do you suggest that we check out while we are in the area? Any "must see" items that might sway our decision one way or another?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We're going to have a rental car so we can experience the traffic situation firsthand as well

~John
Milwaukee, WI
If i was to pick a place to have an apartment it would be Lake Forest/Irvine/Mission Viejo/Huntington/Newport Beach. It really depends on how much you want to spend, but expect over $1000 (more like $1300) a month just about anywhere for a decent place. Houses can be a lot more expensive depending on the area but don't expect to find anything under 500k. For the social life I'd recommend Huntington or Newport Beach, great areas to hang out.

To experience the ultimate in traffic I highly recommend the 91 or 405 freeway on a weekday from 5-7pm.

For both of you. I'd say if the job is stable and you're able to sustain the cost of living, do it.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:48 PM

21 posts, read 202,624 times
Quote:
Since you have a couple of friends who want to move out there with you this can be to your advantage. You are in a better position than I am. The reason I didn't jump the gun and move out there is because it will be very difficult to live there by myself and take on the full cost of rent. I don't know anybody out there and I don't really like the idea of moving in with complete strangers. A website you might want to check out is www.craigslist.com. You can navigate to apartments/condos/subleases etc. in the state and area of your choice. I have looked at the postings for Orange County and you might be able to move into an occupied home or condo for around $500-$700 per person. Depending on the place you might have to move in with a stranger or since there is three of you ya'll could probably have the place to yourselves. You might want to check the site out just to see what is there. You will have to contact somebody about the place. Since you are going out there for a few days it could be a perfect time to set up an interview with the person and check the place out.

When I was in Orange County I heard Newport Beach and Huntington Beach are pretty cool places for young people. However, rent will obviously be more than housing located further inland. Another area you might want to check out is the Rancho Santa Margarita area. It is in the far southeastern part of Orange County nestled in the foothills. Rent is a little less there but not much. You will probably have a 30-45 min. drive to the beach, not figuring in traffic. It just depends on whether you want to live closer to the beach or the mountains.

You might also look at condos. You may be able to get a better deal than at an apartment complex. If you find any good deals or locations let me know!

Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,734 times
Quote:

~John
Milwaukee, WI
If you’re going to work in Irvine then you should look for housing there. Everything you need is there. Close to the college would be the best place to look. Lots of young people and depending on where you live most things will be walking distance. The beach is just a few miles away and the climate is a little milder than further inland.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 49,293 times
I love O.C. but no it is not worth the hype.
It is very expensive, crowded, there is always traffic.
To buy a house is almost impossible, they are outrageously priced.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 69,614 times
Quote:

~John
Milwaukee, WI
Hey John- I grew up in the O.C. and there is nothing like Newport Beach, especially the peninsula. The NP Peninsula is a great place to live especially for younger single people. It's commercialized like Irvine or Tustin or Costa Mesa. The weather is great, there are bars, girls, the community is awesome and the people are friendly and have respect for each other. There isn't a mentality, like everywhere else in the OC, as the grass is greener over there or I'm better than you or what kind of car do you drive. It's a great little community. I lived there for 8 years and had to move to West Hollywood because my job moved. If I could've stayed I would have. If I may suggest, if you are going to look around down there I would first check out the properly manager's on the peninsula to see if they have any [u]yearly rentals[u], if they don't then the other way would be to go up and down each numbered street, and there are a lot of numbered streets, but not whole lot of property owners advertise their rental properties in the news paper or on the internet, they just post signs on the houses, thats why I suggest to drive or ride a beach cruiser (bike) up and down the streets. If you guys do like it, you could always get into a month-to-month lease up the hill in an apartment and keep looking. Oh and don't get sucked into a 9 month winter lease. These lease's SUCK because you move-in in Sept and move out in June, just when everything is starting to get even better you have to move. Shoot for a yearly lease. Commute time: I used to work in Irvine and I lived on 45th St, my commute, depending on what time I left would take 15 to 25 minutes and my commute was about 8 miles. It all depends on what time I left. My opinion, it is worth making the sacrifice to find a place on the Newport Peninsula because once you get down there its a whole different world. Yes the traffic sucks but it sucks everywhere in So CAL so you might as well live in a great place. Me and my friends would never leave the peninsula on the weekends especially in the summer time, there wasn't a need too. We would just hop on our bikes and go to a bar or get lunch at one of the many little awesome burger or sandwitch joints or go to the beach or ride to Huntington Beach which is only a 15-20 minute bike ride and hang out up there. I could go on and on, let me know if you want more info or any other suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County