Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are you considering relocating to?
No Where else than Southern California 44 28.03%
Oregon (or the Northwest) 63 40.13%
Southwest 11 7.01%
Midwest 12 7.64%
East Coast 10 6.37%
The South 19 12.10%
Other 7 4.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:17 AM

59 posts, read 606,655 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to Oregon in the near future. I was wondering how many Californian's have relocated to Oregon, Or are thinking about relocating to Oregon? I was born and raised in Oregon but I have been residing in Southern California for the last 3-4 years. The last time I lived in Oregon I was in high school and I won't mention how long ago that was. I have noticed that Oregon's population has significantly increased since 2000, and many come from Southern California! I have really enjoyed the time I have been in So Cal and I have grown tremendously as a person! But I feel it is time to return to Oregon & Beaver Nation! (Go Beavers in the CWS!)

I'm tired of Southern California for numerous reasons.
1) Cost of living is outrageous!
2) Where is the "Quality of life"?
3) Over populated. (traffic is awful everywhere & at all times)
4) Materialism rules here. (many desire to be rich & famous instead of helping one another)
5) High Crime (especially everywhere outside of O.C.)
6) Smog (Californians (I.E. Residents) like to call this "Marine Layer" Ha!)
7) Treated as another number instead of a human being.
8) Immigration is getting out of control (not to start a debate, but you can't ignore it.)

Now, let me just say that I have met many kind individuals since I've been here so I'm not bitter towards anyone or any group. No, not everyone in So Cal is rude, selfish, fake, materialistic or caught up in the "hamster wheel". But there are many who are (probably more than not), especially in a comparison to Oregonians. If I were raised in Southern California? I would have become accustomed to the lifestyle here and I may have become the "Hamster in the wheel" or the "Californian" stereotype? I feel Blessed to have been raised in Oregon, but also Blessed to experience Southern California as well. South Orange County is beautiful and if the cost of living wasn't so extremely high I could be very happy there. I just don't feel like being in debt my whole life, working until I'm 75, working three jobs, being a slave to my mortgage the rest of my life, while trying to keep up with the Jones', Smith's, etc..! All of these reasons while on a Teacher's salary!
Ok, that is my .02 My intent was not to upset anyone either!

Tell me, What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,533 times
I don't think you can make it on a teacher's salary. But you won't be able to afford the most desirable parts of Oregon on that salary either.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Default That might be true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I don't think you can make it on a teacher's salary. But you won't be able to afford the most desirable parts of Oregon on that salary either.
Most teachers don't go into teaching for great salaries. But I would like to live middle class with a nice standard of living! I'm not a financial advisor or anything so I'm not sure if my information is correct? Let's say one makes $50,000-$60,000 per year in Southern California where the median home cost is around $645,000.
Ok, Now in Oregon one makes $35,000-$45,000 per year and the median home cost in $230,000. It looks to me that it is more affordable in Oregon. When you look at the ratio (50,000/645,000 for So Cal) & (35,000/230,000 for Oregon) Unless one has a trust fund or makes over $120,000 per year and has a spouse who makes over $30,000, I'm not sure how else you can do it?
I have heard of people going into a partnership. That to me is not true home ownership, plus you can't do anything with the home (especially sell) unless the partner agrees.

Here is an article I read:

RealEstateJournal | Orange County Ranks No. 2 On Most Expensive List

My opinion is eventually there will almost be an elimination of the "middle class" in Orange County and many areas of Southern California, what will be left is the Extremely wealthy and the lower class. The middle class will be forced to move, if they desire home ownership, cost of living index, and a better standard of living without being around crime and the ghetto. If you want NICE, then you better be willing to pay the PRICE!
I guess there is always the choice of changing careers? I just want to make a difference while I'm here on earth, leave behind a legacy. But doing so while comfortably enjoying living life as well.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:52 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,533 times
Again, look into the most desirable neighberhoods/towns in Oregon and look at the prices (Ashland, Bend, and close in areas of Portland). They are not that far off desirable parts of Orange County (and some are just as high). The elimination of the "middle class" is not limited to Orange County. Consider NYC, Washington D.C., Seattle, SF. The desirable parts of Southern California are on a par with these areas, but it isn't unique to Southern California. Also, one who makes enough to live in a home that costs $650K is hardly "wealthy".

Old 06-21-2007, 12:37 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,540 times
There are lots of areas in Oregon that have small populations so living on a middle class income is much easier there than it is here in socal. Just don't move anywhere near Portland which is getting more congested, more expensive and the people much angrier as the result of that.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM

Post What are your opinions?

By looking at the following links, what is most important for you? I'm not trying to start a war between California and Oregon. I just want to hear your opinions! Maybe some of you can afford to live anywhere in the U.S.? Maybe some of you were born and raised in California? Maybe some of you bought into the housing market before the "BOOM"? Maybe some of you are weighing your options as to staying & struggling with finances, or moving to gain a better quality of living? Maybe some of you are affraid? What are your thoughts, opinons etc....?

Old 06-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educatorspeakingtruth View Post
By looking at the following links, what is most important for you? I'm not trying to start a war between California and Oregon. I just want to hear your opinions! Maybe some of you can afford to live anywhere in the U.S.? Maybe some of you were born and raised in California? Maybe some of you bought into the housing market before the "BOOM"? Maybe some of you are weighing your options as to staying & struggling with finances, or moving to gain a better quality of living? Maybe some of you are affraid? What are your thoughts, opinons etc....?
I apologize, I forgot to include the links.
Here they are! I hope they are of help to you:

Where Are the Best Places to Raise A Family? - Netscape Home & Real Estate

Quality of life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

The Six Best Places to Start a Family In - Associated Content

Best Places to Live 2006 - Money Magazine

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Can you add a poll choice for Rocky Mountain region? I'll probably move to Denver barring some massive positive change in my finances. Housing is simply too expensive here in OC.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:15 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
Quote:
1) Cost of living is outrageous!
2) Where is the "Quality of life"?
3) Over populated. (traffic is awful everywhere & at all times)
4) Materialism rules here. (many desire to be rich & famous instead of helping one another)
5) High Crime (especially everywhere outside of O.C.)
6) Smog (Californians (I.E. Residents) like to call this "Marine Layer" Ha!)
7) Treated as another number instead of a human being.
8) Immigration is getting out of control (not to start a debate, but you can't ignore it.)
Yea I hate living in CA for all those reasons too! I still live with the parents so it is rather easy for me to pack my bags and move elsewhere once I graduate from college. Right now I only make 8.50$/hr and if I were to move out and rent some place I would probably need about 2 other room mates just to afford a 1bed/1bath! Ouch, talk about a terrible way to live.

The main reason the cost of living is so high in CA is because of the housing bubble. If the housing was not so over priced and was at normal levels (ie. 300-400k median price) then it would be a substantially different situation. However, at current prices who in their right mind would consider purchasing a home???? Many of these home owners are simply in denial as they watch the fundamentals of their housing market implode on them.

As for where I am considering moving, probably Texas for the wide open spaces, decent amount of jobs and cheap real estate. I hate city life.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:34 AM

Thumbs up I think it is a great choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Yea I hate living in CA for all those reasons too! I still live with the parents so it is rather easy for me to pack my bags and move elsewhere once I graduate from college. Right now I only make 8.50$/hr and if I were to move out and rent some place I would probably need about 2 other room mates just to afford a 1bed/1bath! Ouch, talk about a terrible way to live.

The main reason the cost of living is so high in CA is because of the housing bubble. If the housing was not so over priced and was at normal levels (ie. 300-400k median price) then it would be a substantially different situation. However, at current prices who in their right mind would consider purchasing a home???? Many of these home owners are simply in denial as they watch the fundamentals of their housing market implode on them.

As for where I am considering moving, probably Texas for the wide open spaces, decent amount of jobs and cheap real estate. I hate city life.
I am surprised that you have come to the conclusions you have come to, especially being born and raised in California! Also you saw the light earlier than most do in their lives! Many in So Cal are in denial! I have many friends who recently moved to Dallas, and I have a few friends in Austin. They all love it! Both are growing and housing is affordable! Plus they have real BBQ! ! ! How could you go wrong? Good Luck in Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County