Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,686 times

Advertisements

My husband's job will have him working in both Irvine and Pasadena...I know commutes are awful, but we are looking for somewhere in between that is good to raise a young family and still accessible to fun things to do. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 03:29 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Cerritos might be your best bet. That will at least give your husband a few different options with regard to commuting to both Irvine and Pasadena, while offering a somewhat central location to both cities and the greater LA/OC region.

Other posters might come up with better suggestions. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,881 times
If you're thinking nearer Pasadena, I recommend San Dimas. It's in the San Gabriel Valley like Pasadena, but the freeway that will take a person from Pasadena to Irvine runs through part of San Dimas and then right after that passes through part of Pomona, then into Brea so at that point you're in Orange County. San Dimas is like an anomaly in its surroundings, it's honestly very country-western in look, feel, and all. Downtown San Dimas is well-preserved from its Old West days, with brown clapboard sidewalks and brown wooden buildings. San Dimas has lots of rolling hills and horse ranches. It also has beautiful Spanish-style houses in hill-tucked neighborhoods. It's a safe (low crime) and pleasant place to raise a family. However, being near Pasadena is also great since that is a really nice city in a completely different way (I grew up there and many would agree with me that in many ways resembles the Midwest) and also adjacent San Marino (where the Huntington Library is), and a quick 10-minute freeway drive from Pasadena will take you to Downtown Los Angeles (which in all honesty reminds me intensely of New York City down to the smallest detail and is very amazing, very cultural, and very exciting, with an endless amount of places and things to discover, and many different districts and neighborhoods), and a quick 20-minute freeway drive (the 10 fwy) from that part of Downtown LA the freeway goes through will take you to Malibu (which is extremely beautiful and in all honesty reminds me of Maui, complete with lush, misty mountains, miles of beaches with palm trees in the sand, legendary surf, dolphins jumping near the shore, stunning sunsets, exotic foliage, incredible dining that includes seafood, etc). [By the way, I happen to think tourists commonly make the BIG mistake of stopping at Santa Monica instead. Malibu has a lot of misconceptions about it due to stereotypes associated with its famously (often very) expensive real estate -- don't let that throw you off, its residents and overall vibe are actually VERY laid-back and friendly.] I've gone into a lot of detail but I have a main point to make, and that's that if you live in San Dimas you'll be in a place that's a really pleasant world unto itself, but the location of which is so central that you'll be a quick drive from other places that are amazing worlds unto themselves that you and your family can easily experience all the time, too. Also San Dimas is adjacent to Pomona which has the Los Angeles County Fair held in August and September every year which is a great attraction. Brea is a safe, fun, lively (definitely much more modern-feeling and looking than San Dimas) city with a fun Downtown where a lot of families and young people like to go to the movie theater and lively restaurants on weekend nights; also there's Brea Mall nearby (indoor shopping mall). Then next to Brea is the city of Fullerton, where I've lived for the past 5 and a half years, which is a very special, unique, scenic place -- another anomaly-seeming place -- that honestly reminds me strongly of the American South in every way. It has Southern-looking bungalow houses, friendly people, historic little Downtown with 1 main street running through it, lots of weeping willow trees and pines, lakes, ponds, creeks, wild ducks, geese, egrets, rabbits, horse trails, and starry nights with the sound of frogs croaking. In fact, if you don't like the idea of San Dimas I'd also strongly recommend either Brea or Fullerton, keeping in mind Brea is much more modern (though lively) than Fullerton. It's also really safe here in Fullerton -- one can leave their windows open at night or go walking outside when it's dark without any fear or hesitation. My neighborhood is full of neighbors who will greet each other when passing each other on the sidewalk or visit each other and sit on their front porches, and have their kids play with their neighbors' kids in the middle of the street. It really is a wonderful place to live. Then adjacent you have Anaheim, which honestly I don't recommend to live in but I mention because of the presence of Disneyland, and remember Knott's Berry Farm (also a very great, very historical theme park) just 6 miles from Disneyland. Irvine is only about a 30-minute drive south of Fullerton, and next to Irvine is Newport Beach which includes a very beautiful and historical area called Balboa, which to me feels like a combination of coastal South Florida (including aspects that are tropical-feeling) with -- very coincidentally -- historic Cape Cod fishing village, including the architecture of the houses which mostly date from between the 1890's and the 1910's, and it is indeed a place where local fishermen take their daily catch to the historic local cannery. Also next to Irvine is Costa Mesa with the nice big mall South Coast Plaza which includes many great dining options. Speaking of nearby malls, if in San Dimas, the Santa Anita Mall in Arcadia is close-by, too, and very near Pasadena. (And since Arcadia has a majority-Chinese population that city includes Chinese supermarkets and authentic Chinese restaurants.)

As for school options from Elementary all the way to High School, all the places I recommended for living are great school districts -- San Dimas, Brea, and Fullerton. As for colleges and universities, there's Pasadena City College if one doesn't mind a bit of a commute from San Dimas for getting to class, or much closer to San Dimas there's Citrus College in Azusa, and Cal Poly Pomona university. In Fullerton are Fullerton College and Cal State University Fullerton. Of course further on are UC Irvine in one direction and in the opposite direction (past Pasadena) are USC in Downtown LA and UCLA in Westwood (near Santa Monica and Malibu).

I didn't expect to write such a long and detailed explanation -- but can you tell that I love living here in L.A. ? -- and if you read all that thank you and I hope that helps you in your decision-making (and hopefully many aspects to look forward to, as well)! As a life-long resident of Pasadena then Fullerton who spends the majority of my time getting out and exploring different places and things Greater L.A. has to offer, please feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Old 04-02-2016, 11:05 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
I would recommend Fullerton. If the jobs in Irvine and Pasadena are relatively close to a train station, you can take the trains to either or both. It has a great downtown, plenty of parks, shops and entertainment, and many highly rated schools.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:44 PM

384 posts, read 733,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Cerritos might be your best bet. That will at least give your husband a few different options with regard to commuting to both Irvine and Pasadena, while offering a somewhat central location to both cities and the greater LA/OC region.

Other posters might come up with better suggestions. Good luck!
Or La Palma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County