Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 AM

8 posts, read 6,444 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of purchasing our first home in Mission Viejo. We have less experience in buying a house and choosing houses based on school district.

I have a 1-year-old child I want him to go to good schools. My understanding is if the school is rated 8+ on Zillow is supposedly good ones.

My question is- We have liked few houses where the nearby school for elementary and high school is great but has 7 Zillow score for junior high.

Can I opt to go to send my child to a different school for junior high? Are there more than 1 junior high schools in the district?

I know I am thinking in the near future... but again we want to go for a house in good school district basically coz it also has resale value + good school our child ( in future).

Please advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 04:42 PM

23 posts, read 28,657 times
Not a fan of those rating systems.

Because of a poor rating for the closest elementary school (4), my grand-daughter attended a higher ranked elementary school and it was a disaster. Mainly issues with administration and teacher turnover.

After one semester, we had her transferred her back to the home school. Now she is in a dual-immersion Mandarin Chinese program and loving it.

I don't know how Saddleback USD or Capo USD does things but in our district, if the school is given a rating of 4 or less, you can attend a different elementary school.

Your best bet is to get involved. My daughter is in PTA and she get a lot of info she would not get otherwise.

Last edited by guitarsarebeautiful; 10-12-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 10:55 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,292,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsarebeautiful View Post
not a fan of those rating systems.

My daughter is in pta and she get a lot of info she would not get otherwise.
pta?

Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 AM

101 posts, read 140,124 times
Why don't you start by looking on schooldigger.com? Type in the school's name and it gives you the ranking in the district (i.e. De Portola Elementary ranks 2/23 elementaries in Saddleback), test score performance and percentage of students on free/reduced lunch and the demographic makeup? At the end of the day, it depends on our kids and the teachers that we get. It's possible to be a 1st ranked school and get a teacher that's not a good fit for our child. I personally like schooldigger.com and I spent a few days in Mission Viejo this week driving by the school to see the structure from the outside and the types of homes surrounding it.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 9,719 times
Talk to the parents who have kids going to that particular school and check Niche.com for rating & reviews. Don't just rely on Greatschools.org or Schooldigger.com. We made that mistake before & learned the hard way. Find the schools that you think will be the best fit for your child and your family...

Old 10-16-2016, 10:56 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Your child is 1, who knows what the scores will be in ten years when they go to middle school. My kids went to La Paz and we thought it was a great school. I wouldn't worry.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:07 PM

8 posts, read 6,444 times
Thanks everyone for your inputs. All the school links will definitely taken seriously.
On the sad note, we didn't get the house in Mission..Ours wasn't the best offer

Old 11-01-2016, 08:42 AM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times
One of my nieces went to Los Alisos Intermediate School and the second niece is currently attending Los Alisos. My brother and his wife seem to be pleased with this school and probably my nephew/their son will eventually go there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County