Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 07:08 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I did read the article, I also read your statement on the article.

I'm assuming by your non-answer, you have no solution?
I don't think you read the threads on which you post.

A couple of ideas, from one of the other threads on homelessness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The belief that "sometimes there isn't a solution" contributes to the reason that the homeless problem continues to get worse.

I've already posted some of this on other threads, but here's a repeat:

Intervene with parents of teens who are homeless. Youth homelessness in L.A. County was up 60% from 2016 to 2017.

Track the $ approved by Prop HHH, that was approved by Los Angeles voters in November 2016, that's supposed to provide $1.2 billion in bond proceeds over a decade to build permanent housing. Is that money actually being used for that purpose?

Get people to get involved in how the money will be spent for Measure H, which county voters approved in March 2017, that's to provide an estimated $3.5 billion over 10 years for rent subsidies and services. Putting Measure H to Work | Homeless Initiative

Hire people to work as consultants like Steve Lopez, who wrote The Soloist and has first hand experience with homeless people who rail against living in shelters and subsidized housing in L.A.

Hire more social workers to go out on the streets after 6 at night and before 9 a.m. As this particular case manager, Anthony Ruffin, said, "Social service is a 9 to 5 business, but homelessness is a 24-hour business. I like to connect with people early morning or late at night, when there are no distractions … and there’s a moment of clarity." A true L.A. hero: For people dying on L.A. streets, he offers help, and he won't take no for an answer - LA Times
California's Homeless Problem Caught On Tape! (Anaheim)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No one said it was a right; read the article and read the details of the lawsuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I did read the article, I also read your statement on the article.

I'm assuming by your non-answer, you have no solution?
Right? I don't know if this is argument tactic or what. What else could you be implying by saying they are violating their civil rights?

You don't have a right to housing, you don't have a right to trespass, you don't have a right to disregard laws, you don't have a right to storage.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:08 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Right? I don't know if this is argument tactic or what. What else could you be implying by saying they are violating their civil rights?

You don't have a right to housing, you don't have a right to trespass, you don't have a right to disregard laws, you don't have a right to storage.
Yeah, people everywhere like to drop statements like "something needs to be done!", but don't follow up with "This is what should be done."

Very unproductive IMO.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:

+1

Exactly!!!

Old 02-15-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Civil right = the basic right to be free from unequal treatment based on certain protected characteristics (race, gender, disability, etc.) in settings such as employment, education, housing, and access to public facilities.

Read the lawsuit, which is to what the violation of civil rights in this case, on this thread, refers. And stop taking my words out of context.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:13 PM

I didn't know homeless was a protected class. And still isn't. Nobody owes homeless housing or storage space.

Actually the city/county is doing a disservice to me, the tax payer, by allowing them to dump trash, pollute the water, do drugs and ignore traffic laws in the space and services available to me for use.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
I didn't know homeless was a protected class. And still isn't. Nobody owes homeless housing or storage space.

Actually the city/county is doing a disservice to me, the tax payer, by allowing them to dump trash, pollute the water, do drugs and ignore traffic laws in the space and services available to me for use.
Also carry loaded guns illegally, steal bikes, and have possible felony histories while they live next to suburban neighborhoods and schools.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:

Sue your city.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Sue your city.
Better yet just kick them off the river bed.

Btw, has anyone golf on Riverview lately? It's been a couple of years now, I imagine those back holes must be sketchy.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:30 AM

You've got to give the man credit for trying to come up with a solution.

It was U.S, District Court Judge David O. Carter's fifth visit. During more than four hours, some of the homeless people who were awake in the cold air rushed up to him, shaking his hand and expressing gratitude.

"Instead of a he said/she said situation, he actually came out to judge, so to speak, with his own eyes. Looks like he's holding people accountable. He gets things done," said Kathy Schuler, one of seven homeless plaintiffs suing the county and cities for violation of their civil rights.

Federal judge visits homeless camps as he pushes for Orange County shelter solution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County