Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:42 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of interesting observation ever since sb270 was ratified last year.
These days at the grocers I regularly encounter:

-Cashiers/clerks that are inconsistent in asking whether customers want a bag, some may assume customers don't want a bag until they start asking and they have to either swipe their card again or struggle to make change, sometimes even have to ask another casher for help holding up the line.
-Self check machines that consistently repeat "unexpected item in bagging area remove this item" as they are only designed to operate with the plastic bags preloaded in its bagging area not paper or any other type of bag shoppers may bring in.
-Stores that use cheap paper bags that rip on the way out of the store. This is the case with 99 Ranch market in Anaheim which I am surprised as the 99 Ranch Markets in Norcal where local bag ordinances had been going on since 2012 all use those thick plastic bags that meet the state's reusable bag standards.
-The people that do bring their own bags which accounts for about 20% of the shoppers I see in often bring very filthy bags sometimes filled with pet dander or even insects. Many of these bags are hardly ever washed and often left in hot cars. Don't even get me started on bags that had contained items from Asian markets which often are smelly. Baggers also struggle to load all these different bags. They often end up having to buy a bag as they shopped more than what their bags could handle without causing damage
-There are those stores/restaurants who are not covered by the definition of a store under the law but decided to implemented the policy anyways to rip off the customers.
-People in supermarkets are also using much more protective bags than before. These protective bags are worse in form of litter as they are less reusable than the checkout ones. and more likely to break or fly away. I am surprised these are not targeted first.

Also there had been much more litter on streets and freeway shoulders since November than anytime in the past. As unsecured garbage spills from trucks during collection. It kinds of reminds me of what happened in the Bay Area when it became a fad there since 2012. I was very glad to move away from there. Alas it followed me 2 years later as the vocal minority manage to usurp local control from areas of the state that opposed this.

I am guessing the voters particularly those in the tea party and the officials in Orange County that voted against this since the beginning are now very mad. I still remember what happened in Huntington Beach and other cities when such bans were proposed or passed. Huntington Beach went out of their way to remove the liberal council members that supported this. Alas nowadays Orange County and the Inland Empire would need secede from CA if they want to break free from its progressive policies. Which makes me wonder as CA want to secede from US to escape Trump and GOP what will happen to portions of CA who want break free from California? Would they get a choice? Would they rejoin the Union or would they become their own country? Hearing CA's proposed secession from US reminds me of the six California's initiative not too long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
nope.if I forget my bag, there is the cart to haul away your purchases and dump it in your car. whats so annoying with it?

the law is good for the environment. Costco is doing it for a long time already.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 AM

1,462 posts, read 973,618 times
I have had nothing but positive experiences since it has been in effect. I would say at my supermarket at least 85% of people bring their own bags. I have no idea where you shop but may want to pick different locations. I have never seen a dirty bag from a customer or any smelly issues. The baggers don't have any issues as well. In addition, I drive the 405, 55 and have not seen any of this excess trash that you have seen since November.

Overall I am very happy so far with the implementation.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:03 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I only had a had experience when the new law first went into effect. A local organic grocery that had never used plastic bags, decided to charge for the paper bags that had always been included in the price.They still do, but with a twist, so that customers who bring their own bags now receive a discount on their purchases.

Also, I'll admit that I forgot my bags a few times, but that was my fault. You live and learn. I don't want to pay for bags, so I keep a few on the front seat of my car.

I have no problems with the law since it will hopefully benefit the environment.

OP, if you noticed unhygienic practices where you shop, maybe being proactive would help.

Not that everyone would use it, but you could suggest to the store manager that he place some sort of natural disinfectant spray near the store entrance for those who want to freshen up their bags.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM

They don't lower prices just because they charge for bags to cover the overhead cost of bags. It's annoying as why it applies to stores that had not used plastic bags before the ban ie Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and some others such as the organic stores. It's all meant to coerce the end user and stifle competition. I notice stores removing the credits for reusing bags ever since this passed as they will lose money doing so rather than save on bag costs.

I also noticed there are certain retailers that are theoretically not covered by the definition of sb270 but decided to implemented it anyway to profit from bag sells.

It appears Internet forums tend to populated by more progressive thinking "liberal" folks. Monitoring the forum Spreading and Repeating the same gospel over and over again to anyone who dares to speak against such agenda. Though OC is generally more conservative and their votes and opinions clearly shows this.

They must be blind to reality as I drive the 5 and 57 and 91 and 15 in San Diego county and notice shoulders that were garbage free are now covered by layers of spilled garbage.

Regarding dirty bags and cashier incompetency and slow lines no amount of tips you liberals give would change the reality. Huntington Beach fought tooth to nail to get rid of this a year ago all their hard work was ruined by a liberal statewide turnout this year. I can only prey that OC is able to secede from CA in the future whether or not CA secedes from the US.

Meanwhile I suggest all stores who are against this implement a no outside bags/backpacks in the store policy as a rebellion which is still perfectly legal.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post

They must be blind to reality as I drive the 5 and 57 and 91 and 15 in San Diego county and notice shoulders that were garbage free are now covered by layers of spilled garbage.
that's not the fault of the law.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:16 AM

66 posts, read 70,123 times
This was not intended to reduce roadside trash it was promoted by the industry so they can charge for the bags. Don't be fooled.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:41 AM

111 posts, read 158,992 times
It's not for the environment. It's to raise taxes. If it was for the environment I'd be for the ban. Furthermore, both thin plastic bags and paper bags are biodegradable. However, Vons was selling very thick plastic bags for 10 cents. Or maybe it was Albertsons, same company now. They'll take much longer to decompose. I see one across the room that's going into the trash tomorrow!

Yes, certain counties should secede due to stupid laws like this one. Amazing that Laguna Niguel even wants to put in a trolley system, an LA idea.

Last edited by a333; 03-13-2017 at 01:55 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a333 View Post
It's not for the environment. It's to raise taxes. If it was for the environment I'd be for the ban. Furthermore, both thin plastic bags and paper bags are biodegradable. However, Vons was selling very thick plastic bags for 10 cents. Or maybe it was Albertsons, same company now. They'll take much longer to decompose. I see one across the room that's going into the trash tomorrow!

Yes, certain counties should secede due to stupid laws like this one. Amazing that Laguna Niguel even wants to put in a trolley system, an LA idea.
The money goes to the stores not the State. The most the State makes is in any sales tax they collect on the 10 cent sale of the bag. I suppose that is a tax increase.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM

I am surprised the Orange County Forum is not so vocal on this compared to the San Diego forum.
Overall San Diego area has leaned left and embraced coastal california policies the last three years while in OC even the coast line had strongly went against this. I still remember how Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, and San Clemente brutally ran these groups out of town. And inland cities won't even touch the subject at all, And How over 60% of OC voted against SB270. Though the state's mostly left leaning voters ended up taking away local control from them.
Prop 65 would have made it a tax which are subject to more legal scrutiny that the current system. Alas the more conservative voters including ones in OC vote it down just because they don't want more taxation. Though it was meant to add accountability or at least turn the fee to a state environmental fund if the ban passes.

We should ask when is the last time a government state or local anywhere in the US or elsewhere required private stores to punish end consumers or charge a fee that they pocket rather than a tax. Essentially fining customers for using a store bag. This trend seems unprecedented and far reaching and surprisingly widespread. I guess it has to do with Sierra Club poppets taking control of the UN.

Some cities has passed soda tax but following the procedure of the states constitution for new taxation including a popular vote. Even then stores are not required to levy the tax on a bottle of soda. They can choose to increase the price on Sunscreen instead. This happened when Berkeley passed the tax therefore a bottle of soda in Berkeley is still exactly the same price as in a nearby city without a soda tax. And soda tax concept is not nearly spreading as rabidly as the store bag ordinances.

Ironically Laguna Niguel had voted to be an opponent any state or local bag related ordinance or fees in 2015. But they want to put in a Trolley system. Though I bet it would be a money losing proposition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County