Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times

Advertisements

With calls to emotion like this story...

For undocumented immigrants, Mother’s Day raises painful thoughts, plans

For undocumented immigrants, Mother’s Day raises painful thoughts, plans – Orange County Register

and nevermind that we have almost full employment in OC, we are very bad off...

The solution is lots of "affordable housing" and assistance to others...

‘A persistent and growing underclass’ in Orange County, report shows – Orange County Register

LAtimes owns it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
I didn't know that. I always thought they represented a conservative OC.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:15 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I don't subscribe to both crappy papers. They are both been through bankruptcy for a reason. Only crazies would read them.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:48 PM

58 posts, read 43,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don't subscribe to both crappy papers. They are both been through bankruptcy for a reason. Only crazies would read them.
They and most other local newspapers are going into bankruptcy because of this thing called the internet. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Old 05-14-2017, 11:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfer View Post
They and most other local newspapers are going into bankruptcy because of this thing called the internet. Perhaps you've heard of it?
Not the paper I subscribe to, WSJ, perhaps you've heard of it. More nonsense.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I didn't know that. I always thought they represented a conservative OC.
Not any longer. They'll turn the OC Register and P.E. Enterprise into bleeding heart Liberal rags soon that will only appeal to social justice warriors(SJW's) and Liberal snowflakes.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:40 PM

66 posts, read 70,155 times
I love reading printed news but since the subscription prices went threw the roof I no longer get it. Newspapers use to have an opinion section where they kept the slanted news and opinions. Now we get the opinions as headlines, different world today..

Old 05-15-2017, 04:47 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
I get the Register, and I rolled my eyes when I saw the Mother's Day article about the poor, suffering, illegal immigrant mothers who might be deported. So predictable. There was a similar article just a few weeks ago, as a matter of fact.

Buried about 7/8 of the way through was a sentence about how, sure, these women should have known they were breaking the law in the first place and that deportation was a possibility, but you had to read very carefully to catch it.

I've subscribed to the Register for over 20 years and they have done a pretty good job over most of that time, but their "bias" is definitely starting to show.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:11 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I get the Register, and I rolled my eyes when I saw the Mother's Day article about the poor, suffering, illegal immigrant mothers who might be deported. So predictable. There was a similar article just a few weeks ago, as a matter of fact.

Buried about 7/8 of the way through was a sentence about how, sure, these women should have known they were breaking the law in the first place and that deportation was a possibility, but you had to read very carefully to catch it.

I've subscribed to the Register for over 20 years and they have done a pretty good job over most of that time, but their "bias" is definitely starting to show.
So I guess it's only "bias" if you disagree with it. When they were solidly right-wing, that was OK?

Old 05-15-2017, 07:25 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
So I guess it's only "bias" if you disagree with it. When they were solidly right-wing, that was OK?
Not necessarily. I always considered it more middle-of-the road. But this article was a big sob-fest that didn't even pretend to be balanced. It only pointed out in one parenthetical sentence towards the end of page three that these mothers "knew, or should have known" when they chose to come here illegally that deportation was a possibility, and then immediately switched back to praising them for for their strength, bravery, and power. Really, it was over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County