Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,276 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to downsize to get closer to the coast (really close - i.e. walking distance to the beach ideally) but finding all that is within our budget (up to $850k) are older townhomes in/around downtown San Clemente. We're not opposed to this, but wanted to gauge what it would be like to raise a family here (we currently have a 3.5 year old).

Are there areas of San Clemente to avoid? Or areas that are more family-friendly? It looks like elementary schools would be either Las Palmas or Clarence Lobo, neither of which have very good ratings - is it easy to choice into other, better schools in the area? (Our daughter will be entering TK in 2019 - it doesn't look like either of those schools have TK).

How about parks? General safety? Quality of life? Greatly appreciate any and all of your insight.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 12:47 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb018 View Post
Hello,

We are looking to downsize to get closer to the coast (really close - i.e. walking distance to the beach ideally) but finding all that is within our budget (up to $850k) are older townhomes in/around downtown San Clemente. We're not opposed to this, but wanted to gauge what it would be like to raise a family here (we currently have a 3.5 year old).

Are there areas of San Clemente to avoid? Or areas that are more family-friendly? It looks like elementary schools would be either Las Palmas or Clarence Lobo, neither of which have very good ratings - is it easy to choice into other, better schools in the area? (Our daughter will be entering TK in 2019 - it doesn't look like either of those schools have TK).

How about parks? General safety? Quality of life? Greatly appreciate any and all of your insight.

Thank you!
San Clemente is really two parts. There is the beige tract housing development of Talega which is very family friendly with all the amenities and stores you would need.

Then there is proper San Clemente which is mostly along highway 1, not well planned, more dense, but more charming, and walk-able to one of the most beautiful coastlines on the planet.

Since you want to live in proper San Clemente, your $850k budget ain't going to get much, and the schools are going to be crap. Additionally, you'll have to deal with more daily traffic since , and the weekends are terrible, and include DUI checkpoints. Most of the crime, theft, assaults, etc, happen within 1 mile of El Camino Real which becomes a parking lot during the weekends, and after 5pm any other day. Parking is a huge pain in the butt as well.

Pines Park and Linda Lane Park are the two best parks for kids from my experience. Can get crowded on the weekends, but very safe with friendly parents.

For your situation, I'd implore you to take a long hard look at Talega.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:13 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb018 View Post
Hello,

It’ll be awesome. Get your kid into surfing. Besides the health benefits, it’s a great motivator/reward when they’re school aged. Besides that, I’m sure there’s plenty of other families and activities in the area. That part of San Clemente is one of my favorite spots in California. Damn, I want some delicious Sonny’s pizza right now.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:26 AM

585 posts, read 634,436 times
There's a Concordia private elementary school on the south end, on Avenida Del Presidente, if that helps.

For what it's worth, they don't call San Clemente High School "Heroin High" for nothing. Just sayin...

Old 10-14-2018, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,605 times
I attended San Clemente schools for a couple of years. They are horrible. San Clemente is comprised of old, retired republican people who have moved from elsewhere (and therefore have no interest in funding any type of city programs), the surf industry (who definitely have no interest in education, generally speaking), and the new families in Talega who might be trying to change things. I don't think it's there yet. The schools you mentioned are not great, and the best schools in SC are not great. If you want your child to be a professional surfer, or play water polo in college, you might move here. Otherwise, I recommend essentially anywhere else in OC for school.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:32 PM

9 posts, read 38,550 times
I was born and raised in OC. My aunt, uncle and cousin lived in San Clemente. My family and i are moving back to OC this May/June. I remember always hearing that San Clemente High School was overcrowded and Shorecliffs Middle didn't have the best reputation. I was talking to my aunt since we're thinking of moving to San Clemente, and she filled me in some of the public schools. Las Palmas which would serve downtown San Clemente isn't that great but it's not terrible. Concordia is way at the south of town and it's a very low income school. Don't know much about it otherwise. The best public schools in San Clemente tend to be the ones east of the 5 freeway. My aunt said Marblehead Elementary which is her neighborhood school is quite good and has a good PTA. She also said the middle and elementary schools in Talega are good as well. There are also Berenice Ayer MS and Truman Benedict ES and Lobo ES but she didn't know much about them, though she thought they'd be decent enough. Sadly, none of these serve the downtown area, they're all east of the I-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: